Tcl, SunLabs, and Perl's Future
Author Message
 Tcl, SunLabs, and Perl's Future

What is the reaction of folks within the Perl community that Sun Labs
has announced that Tcl/TK will be pushed by them as the  "universal"
scripting language of the internet?  How did Sun come this decision?
Was Perl even considered (it seems that its use is more wide spread
for server side use)?

warren.

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Tcl, SunLabs, and Perl's Future

Quote:

> What is the reaction of folks within the Perl community that Sun Labs
> has announced that Tcl/TK will be pushed by them as the "universal"
> scripting language of the internet?

Java junkies cried in their coffee.
python people wanted to {*filter*} somebody.
C programmers decided to submerge and never come up for air.
Shell scripters clammed up.

Perl folks, feeling nacreous, immediately saw that Perl has no future:
There's nothing more sacred than a standard on the Internet. Not even big
corporations like Microsoft and Netscape can overcome that!

Our Perl scripts stopped working, our Perl-based systems came to a halt.
Our Perl newsgroups stopped propagating.

But, on the bright side, we were sure glad that it wasn't going to be
Visual Basic or JavaScript!

-- Tom Phoenix             http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~rootbeer/

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. What's the future of Perl?

2. Future of the Perl Modules Tcl and Tcl::Tk.

3. Future of the Perl Modules Tcl and Tcl::Tk.

4. Tcl and Tcl::Tk w/ Tcl 7.5, 7.6 and Tk 4.1, 4.2

5. GUI's future

6. awk, scheme, tcl, and/or perl (was: Why you should not use Tcl)

7. Tcl::Tk and Tcl modules are available to provide Tk GUI to perl

8. CD with perl, tcl/tl and O'Reilly sources

9. Tcl/2K : The 7th USENIX Tcl/Tk Conference Call for Papers

10. 4th Annual Tcl/Tk Workshop '96

11. 4th Annual Tcl/Tk Workshop '96

12. ANNOUNCE: Tcl and Tcl::Tk extensions to Perl5