Need help finding crypt...
Author Message
 Need help finding crypt...

Hello.

I know what I need to do with crypt in order to solve my problem, but
it's not installed on my system.  Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of
the function for my own use?  Is it part of the standard library, or is
it somewhere else?  Thanks for your time.

|                                                                 |
|  Student at Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada,          |
|  e-wrestling participant, video game lover and Internet junkie  |
|_________________________________________________________________|

Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help finding crypt...

Quote:

> Hello.

> I know what I need to do with crypt in order to solve my problem, but
> it's not installed on my system.  Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of
> the function for my own use?  Is it part of the standard library, or is
> it somewhere else?  Thanks for your time.

Could you restate your problem more clearly?  If I am reading this
correclty, your installation of Perl doesn't have crypt() because
crypt(3) is not installed on your system.  If you are running some
flavor of Unix, this surprises me.  Even for non-Unix platforms, I'd
hope that libc (or its equivalent) has crypt just because it is
standard.

If you need the source to crypt(3), you should be able to get it from
any Linux mirror.  It should be available under the standard GNU
CopyLeft.  How to bolt this crypt is beyond me.  Perhaps just create a
library (/usr/lib/libmycrypt.a or somesuch), rebuild perl and add this
to the list of standard libraries to link (one of the prompts).

- doug

Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help finding crypt...

Oh, pardon me.

My problem is not that crypt, the UNIX command, is not installed.  My
problem is that the installation of perl does not include the
implementation of crypt, the perl command.

Now that I think of it, I suppose I could just do a system call to the UNIX
crypt...that should give the results I need.

|                                                                 |
|  Student at Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada,          |
|  e-wrestling participant, video game lover and Internet junkie  |
|_________________________________________________________________|

Sat, 15 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help finding crypt...

Please ignore my last post.  I was incorrect.

Our system itself has no crypt on it, so the initial response would seem to
be the correct action to take.  I apologize for my ignorance, and thanks to
the poster who replied.

|                                                                 |
|  Student at Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada,          |
|  e-wrestling participant, video game lover and Internet junkie  |
|_________________________________________________________________|

Sat, 15 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need Crypt-DES and Crypt-IDEA for Perl Win32

2. Need Crypt-DES and Crypt-IDEA for Perl Win32

3. Need Help in building Crypt::* modules

4. Need help -- trying to build Crypt::DES on SunOS 4.1.4

5. Almost able to compile Crypt::Blowfish on Win32 - need DLL help

6. Q: Help need with nmake Crypt-Des on NT

7. A Perl Version of Crypt() [Crypt::DES and Crypt::IDEA error during make]

8. Where to find Filter::Crypt ?

9. crypt.pm where can i find this module

10. need help with FIND | SED | SORT

11. I need help with a find script

12. Help needed with File::Find