Passing How Do I Send Parseable values via the Command Line
Author Message
 Passing How Do I Send Parseable values via the Command Line

Whenever I write pl scripts I always have the HTML form already
developed.  I have a need where I will have the script before the HTML
form and I need to be able to pass the standard HTML STDIN info on the
command line.  What is the syntax for that?

--
------------------------------------<><---
 -- Richard Schlief

   -- GTE Data Services (813) 978-4457

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing How Do I Send Parseable values via the Command Line

In comp.lang.perl.misc,

:Whenever I write pl scripts I always have the HTML form already
:developed.  I have a need where I will have the script before the HTML
:form and I need to be able to pass the standard HTML STDIN info on the
:command line.  What is the syntax for that?

What does this have to do with Perl?  Perl != CGI.  Are you aware that
there are newsgroups for CGI and HTML issues?  I can't swear that your
question isn't Perl-related, but it sure smells like a CGI question,
which quite frankly, are seldom well-received in these parts.

--tom
--

    #define NULL 0           /* silly thing is, we don't even use this */
        --Larry Wall in perl.c from the v4.0 perl source code

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing How Do I Send Parseable values via the Command Line

Quote:
>What does this have to do with Perl?  Perl != CGI.  Are you >aware that
>there are newsgroups for CGI and HTML issues?  I can't >>>
>swear that your
>question isn't Perl-related, but it sure smells like a CGI >question,
>which quite frankly, are seldom well-received in these >>
>parts.
>--tom
>--

>    #define NULL 0           /* silly thing is, we don't >>
>even use this */
>        --Larry Wall in perl.c from the v4.0 perl source >
>code

What's so funny to me is that by the time it took to write your message
and waste bandwith you could have answered his question which in my
opinion is enough related to Perl to be relevant.

John

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing How Do I Send Parseable values via the Command Line

: Whenever I write pl scripts I always have the HTML form already
: developed.  I have a need where I will have the script before the HTML
: form and I need to be able to pass the standard HTML STDIN info on the
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: command line.  What is the syntax for that?

That format is described as part of the Common Gateway Interface
(aka CGI).

This, however, is not the CGI newsgroup!

I think you will have better luck getting answers to CGI questions
in a newsgroup that has some connection to the CGI.

c.l.p.m is not such a newsgroup.

--
    Tad McClellan                          SGML Consulting
    Tag And Document Consulting            Perl programming

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing How Do I Send Parseable values via the Command Line

: >What does this have to do with Perl?  Perl != CGI.  Are you >aware that
: >there are newsgroups for CGI and HTML issues?  I can't >>>
: >swear that your
: >question isn't Perl-related, but it sure smells like a CGI >question,
: >which quite frankly, are seldom well-received in these >>
: >parts.

: >--tom
: >--

: >    #define NULL 0           /* silly thing is, we don't >>
: >even use this */
: >        --Larry Wall in perl.c from the v4.0 perl source >
: >code

: What's so funny to me is that by the time it took to write your message
: and waste bandwith you could have answered his question which in my
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: opinion is enough related to Perl to be relevant.

First Tom "wasted bandwidth" complaining about an off-topic posting.
(which was, itself, yet another potential waste of bandwidth)

Then *you* wasted bandwidth complaining about the complaining.

Now *I* am wasting bandwidth complaining about your complaining
about the complaining.

All because the first posting was OFF TOPIC for this newsgroup...

Do you think that off-topic postings are a Good Thing?

How so?

What's so funny is that they have all these different newsgroups
based on subject matter.

Why don't they just put all 200,000 daily Usenet posts into just
one newsgroup so the clueless folks will know where to look for them?

--
    Tad McClellan                          SGML Consulting
    Tag And Document Consulting            Perl programming

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Passing Args to script via web and command line

2. Passing form values back to a script as command line arguments

3. sending login/pass to httpd authentication via perl

4. Passing Large Values via GET

5. passing a values via perl

6. Newbie needs help- trying to submit command-line function to perl script via web

7. connecting to a Mysql via command line ok FAILs with perl

8. work on command line and not via browser?

9. outputting blank lines via the write command

10. How to send attachment file in command line in HP-UX 11.00

11. How do I send an FTP line command with Win32:Internet

12. Please send me a sample ftp.pl command line