Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??
Author Message
 Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??

Hi,

I want to build an M$ Windows Explorer-type interface in HTML.
Basically, I want to be able to upload my Bookmark list, and display it
in a representative fashion.  I browsed through the Perl Modules on
CPAN, but couldn't really find the two things I think I'd need:

1) A 'list of lists'-type module - ideally with some functions like
add(), remove(), expand(), collapse(), etc.

2) An HTML-type module that can display the tree (and possibly help to
maintain state between pages, or at least, have a scheme to maintain
state between cgi invocations -> like which parameters to pass and what

("/MainBranch/Subbranch/etc.","/OtherBranch/Books")

I thought this work might have done considering the usefulness of the
representation and the proliferation of newsgroups/discussions on the
net that use these gui's.

Thanks for any pointers.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??

Quote:

> I browsed through the Perl Modules on CPAN, but couldn't really find
> the two things I think I'd need:

> 1) A 'list of lists'-type module - ideally with some functions like
> add(), remove(), expand(), collapse(), etc.

I don't know what those functions would do, but it sure sounds like an
interesting module. :-)  (Could any of those be splice() in disguise? Or
are you doing some kind of outline view, where a branch of the hierarchy
can be viewed or hidden?)

Quote:
> 2) An HTML-type module that can display the tree (and possibly help to
> maintain state between pages, or at least, have a scheme to maintain
> state between cgi invocations -> like which parameters to pass and what

> ("/MainBranch/Subbranch/etc.","/OtherBranch/Books")

This too, sounds like it could be interesting to see, despite the fact
that I don't understand it. Much like Fiona Apple.

Be sure, if you're making something that's trying to make a display in
HTML, that it doesn't rely upon the idiosyncrasies of one or two browsers
in order to work. Make it work with all standard browsers, including
non-graphical ones. That way, even people with too much money, the ones
who can afford to buy and use one of those cell phones that access the
web, will be able to use your program.

When you have these modules finished, be sure to put them on CPAN. Thanks!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??

Quote:

> I want to build an M$ Windows Explorer-type interface in HTML.

[snip]

Hi,
    Take a look at the HTML::EP::Explorer module, available
at $CPAN/authors/id/JWIED. This may not do exactly what
you were after, but might be a good start.

best regards,
Randy Kobes

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??
I wrote a PERL script that requires the loading of modules.  In UNIX,
the script is able execute perfectly but when I click on the file using
Netscape browser, I get a server Error message.  The S.A. told me that
it has something to do with the ENV.

background information: The web browser is executing under the login
NOBODY.

My impression of this is that the server's ENV PATh is undefined.  My
questions are

1) How can I defined it?
2) How can I load the modules during the web browser session?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??
Hi Red,

Quote:

> I wrote a PERL script that requires the loading of modules.  In UNIX,
> the script is able execute perfectly but when I click on the file using
> Netscape browser, I get a server Error message.

My guess is that your modules are not installed in the standard perl space
and that you have an environmental variable in your shell configuration
file that sets the path to your special modules.

The way that I solve these problems is to use the 'lib' pragma as follows.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use lib "/path/to/my/module/director";

# insert perl code here

Hope this helps,
-=dav

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??

Quote:
> In UNIX, the script is able execute perfectly but when I click on the
> file using Netscape browser, I get a server Error message.

When you're having trouble with a CGI program in Perl, you should first
look at the please-don't-be-offended-by-the-name Idiot's Guide to solving
such problems. It's available on CPAN.

   http://www.perl.com/CPAN/
   http://www.cpan.org/
   http://www.cpan.org/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html
   http://www.cpan.org/doc/manual/html/pod/

Hope this helps!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??
The reason why my script did not work in the web browser session is
because of this line of code.

  $ENV{ MODULEPATH } = "/../../../../modules";

This line of code explicitly exports the line that does the MODULEPATH.

Quote:

> I wrote a PERL script that requires the loading of modules.  In UNIX,
> the script is able execute perfectly but when I click on the file
using
> Netscape browser, I get a server Error message.  The S.A. told me that
> it has something to do with the ENV.

> background information: The web browser is executing under the login
> NOBODY.

> My impression of this is that the server's ENV PATh is undefined.  My
> questions are

> 1) How can I defined it?
> 2) How can I load the modules during the web browser session?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Html issue with Module::Build (Win32 ActiveState Perl)

2. Can you build GUI's with perl?

3. Using perl Tk:: versus HTML forms for GUI front-end

4. ANNOUNCE: Win32::GUI Beta (build 220)

5. Building a GUI for the Script

6. win32: How do i build gui app

7. Internet Explorer Favorites Module

8. Tcl::Tk and Tcl modules are available to provide Tk GUI to perl

9. GUI on HTML

10. Build my own perl html help docs

11. Help with Perl Script to build linked HTML from directory structure

12. Building Module thats dependent on other modules