System Administration - Perl vs Tcl.
Author Message
 System Administration - Perl vs Tcl.

We are assessing Perl and Tcl for cross platform system admin shell
scripting.  Is there any functionality in Perl that is lacking in Tcl and
vice versa?

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:33:41 GMT
 System Administration - Perl vs Tcl.
Quote:

>We are assessing Perl and Tcl for cross platform system admin shell
>scripting.  Is there any functionality in Perl that is lacking in Tcl and
>vice versa?

Yes! both ways.

Perl is a larger language but Tcl has it's serious fans who won't use
anything else.

If you want gui capabilities then take note that you can add Tk to Perl and
it's very effective, so that's one argument that Tcl can no longer win. Perl
does have a much larger user base and a much larger library of free software
on CPAN so as you can probably tell, I'm a happy Perl user ;-)

Maybe the best solution is to try to implement a few programs in both and
see what you prefer. The Tcl syntax is cleaner in it's own peculiar way, but
it's still non-traditional ie you have to learn a different mind-set if
you've come from a C or Java or VB background. The same is true for Perl by
the way.
--
Space Corps Directive #997
Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 05:12:12 GMT
 System Administration - Perl vs Tcl.
Thanks for your replies.  We have decided to go with Tcl for now.  We
are mainly an NT/java shop but we do have a couple of unix/ingres
boxes and our unix system admin is an Expect advocate.  The Tcl syntax
is closer to Java than Perl syntax and has a smaller command set so it
should be easier to learn.  If Tcl cannot produce the goods we can
switch to Perl and run inline Tcl if required.
Quote:

> We are assessing Perl and Tcl for cross platform system admin shell
> scripting.  Is there any functionality in Perl that is lacking in Tcl and
> vice versa?

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:03:35 GMT

1. Looking for system/network administration scripts written in perl/ksh

2. How do you do system administration with perl?

3. 12th USENIX SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION CONFERENCE (LISA '98) - CFP

4. Extended Abstracts due June 3 - 11th SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION CONFERENCE (LISA '97) - Call for Papers

5. 11th SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION CONFERENCE (LISA '97) - Call for Papers

6. 11th SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION CONFERENCE (LISA '97) - Call for Papers

7. 11th SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION CONFERENCE (LISA '97) - Call for Papers

8. 11th Systems Administration Conference (LISA '97) - Call for Papers

9. 11th SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION CONFERENCE (LISA '97) - Call For Papers

10. 11th Systems Administration Conference (LISA '97) - Call for Papers

11. 11th Systems Administration Conference (LISA'97)- Call for Papers

12. 10th Systems Administration Conference (LISA '96)