Inigo Perl on WinNT...
Author Message
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...

I want to thank everyone for there feedback regarding Perl for WinNT, anyway
I flipped a coin and downloaded IndigoPerl, but I think I may need a little
more help.

I downloaded the zip to my win98 pc. Then I unzipped the file, and copied
the extracted files and folders to my winNT4 PC to a Perl directory I
created. So now my WinNT PC has the following folders:

C:
 - InetPub
 - Perl
 - Program Files
 - Temp
 - Winnt

The Perl directory contains all the folders and files from the indigo zip
extraction:

Perl
 - bin
 - cgi-bin
 - conf
 - dpm
 - htdocs
 - html
 - lib
 - logs
 - modules
 - perl-bin
 - site

At first I couldn't surf to these files from my win98 PC but realised I had
to modify Internet Service Manager on winNT. I went to the WWW service
properties and changed the first 2 directories as such:

C:\Perl\htdocs            <home>        read
C:\Perl\cgi-bin            /Scripts         execute

Then I could surf to the html file in the htdocs directory from my win98 pc
by going to http://www.*-*-*.com/ 't access the
Sample scripts, it is unable to find the page.

Then I remembered that I had to make that association from .pl files to the
Perl program. So on my winNT, I associated the .pl files with
C:\Perl\bin\perl5.6.1.exe. Actually there was also perl.exe, Apache.exe, and
a2p.exe, but I used perl5.6.1.exe.

But still I am unable to access the Perl scripts from my win98 PC, page not
found. When I double click on those Perl programs from the WinNT PC, they
open up a DOS screen and quickly do something and close.

So I was wondering, am I way out past left field, or is there just something
small I am missing?
Again, all and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Guy Doucet

Mon, 17 May 2004 14:32:09 GMT
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...

Quote:

>At first I couldn't surf to these files from my win98 PC but realised I had
>to modify Internet Service Manager on winNT. I went to the WWW service
>properties and changed the first 2 directories as such:

>C:\Perl\htdocs            <home>        read
>C:\Perl\cgi-bin            /Scripts         execute

>Then I could surf to the html file in the htdocs directory from my win98 pc
>by going to http://192.168.0.200/index.html. But I couldn't access the
>Sample scripts, it is unable to find the page.

Are you using Apache, as included with IndigoPerl? Because that's
basically what it's intended for.

If you want to use both the standard webserver and Apache, you can start
by launching "perlconsole". Then you should be able to run the scripts
from

        http://192.168.0.200:4444/

The perl docs will be under the directory /html/.

BTW is "/Scripts" the URL for the cgi-bin subdirectory? If I'm not
mistaking, then from the point of view of the webserver/browser, the URL
name should be "cgi-bin".

--
        Bart.

Mon, 17 May 2004 15:17:29 GMT
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:32:09 GMT, "G.Doucet"

Quote:

>I want to thank everyone for there feedback regarding Perl for WinNT, anyway
>I flipped a coin and downloaded IndigoPerl, but I think I may need a little
>more help.

>I downloaded the zip to my win98 pc. Then I unzipped the file, and copied
>the extracted files and folders to my winNT4 PC to a Perl directory I
>created.

<SNIP LOTS OF STUFF>

I have never used Indigoperl, but there is more to
setting up a program than just copying folders.
There are file extensions to be written, config files
to be written, registry entries yada yada yada.  I'm
pretty sure Indigoperl must have some sort of install
mechanism to work properly.

Indigoperl also comes with a bundled
apache webserver, which out of the
box is configured to allow nothing.  You must
explicitly allow it to run programs on your system
before it will do so.  It is very likely to come
with documentation on how to install and
configure it, possibly starting with a file
named README or something similar.

As for the CGI questions, they are off topic in this
newsgroup.  Direct your questions on web server
configuration to
comp.infosystems.www.server* as appropriate
and your CGI questions to
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

Regards,
Helgi Briem

Mon, 17 May 2004 15:25:43 GMT
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...

Quote:

> I want to thank everyone for there feedback regarding Perl for WinNT, anyway
> I flipped a coin and downloaded IndigoPerl, but I think I may need a little
> more help.

Indigo Perl is your best choice for a bundled program package,
especially if you follow installation instructions, which
you did not.

setup.bat will establish a correct path for you. However, you
can do this manually to establish a path to a different
installation directory for custom installations.

Your presented directories and sub-directories appear correct.

Quote:
> At first I couldn't surf to these files from my win98 PC but realised I had
> to modify Internet Service Manager on winNT. I went to the WWW service
> properties and changed the first 2 directories as such:
> Then I could surf to the html file in the htdocs directory from my win98 pc
> by going to http://192.168.0.200/index.html. But I couldn't access the
> Sample scripts, it is unable to find the page.

You are going about this the hard way, the impossible way.
Use Apache bundled in Indigo Perl.

Quote:
> Then I remembered that I had to make that association from .pl files to the
> Perl program. So on my winNT, I associated the .pl files with
> C:\Perl\bin\perl5.6.1.exe. Actually there was also perl.exe, Apache.exe, and
> a2p.exe, but I used perl5.6.1.exe.

No need to associate a file extension with Perl. There is a much
easier way to kick off scripts. Associate your Perl scripts with
your favorite program editor instead. This way you may click on
a script and have it appear in your editor for modification.

For your installation:

Set a path to Perl via your autoexec.bat file or via a DOS box window
using standard syntax for setting a path.

SET PATH TO PERL:

SET PATH=C:\PERL\BIN;%PATH%

If you do this via your autoexec.bat you will need
to restart to establish the path.

Open a DOS box window. Change directory to  C:\perl\cgi-bin
At your command prompt type:

perl hellocgi.pl

Hit enter.

You will see:

If not, you did something wrong.

Once you have tested and confirmed this script runs, then you
may create a sub-directory or a sub-directory tree to hold
your scripts. Just a matter of DOS changing directories to
your script directory and:

perl yourscript.pl

You may access Perl documentation via your C:\PERL directory.
Perl documentation will appear in parent directory. In a DOS
window move to C:\PERL and type:

perldoc perldoc

Hit Enter.

Your Indigo Perl program package setup.bat will establish
quick links to Apache if you run it. Creating quick links
for Windows is best. Other features will be created as well,
including a very nice documentation / instructions page,
which is viewable and clickable via a browser.

Otherwise these are various DOS commands for Apache:

APACHE START:

C:\PERL\Apache.exe -d "c:\apache" -s -k start

APACHE STOP:

C:\PERL\Apache.exe -d "c:\apache"  -k shutdown

APACHE RESTART:

C:\PERL\Apache.exe -d "c:\apache" -s -k restart

When you start Apache a DOS window will appear confirming
Apache is running. Minimize this window. Stopping and
restarting Apache is performed via a new DOS box window.
Do not close the Apache window manually. No pid file will
be written. No big deal actually but Apache will present
an error message next startup. This Apache window will
be automatically closed when you stop Apache.

Once you successfully start Apache, open your browser
and point it to:

http://localhost/

A confirmation page indicating Apache is successfully
installed and running will appear.

Information on configuring Apache is provided, extensively,
with Indigo Perl. Follow instructions. Your best bet is to
follow instructions with Indigo Perl.

Follow instructions. When you don't, you create problems.

Apache has a homepage:

http://httpd.apache.org

Follow instructions.

Godzilla!

Mon, 17 May 2004 16:06:04 GMT
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...

(snipped)

Quote:
> Otherwise these are various DOS commands for Apache:
> APACHE START:
> C:\PERL\Apache.exe -d "c:\apache" -s -k start
> APACHE STOP:
> C:\PERL\Apache.exe -d "c:\apache"  -k shutdown
> APACHE RESTART:
> C:\PERL\Apache.exe -d "c:\apache" -s -k restart

I neglected to change the second part of these commands
to match your installation. I typed in my own commands
then made changes, but not completely.

APACHE START:

C:\PERL\Apache.exe -d "c:\perl" -s -k start

APACHE STOP:

C:\PERL\Apache.exe -d "c:\perl"  -k shutdown

APACHE RESTART:

C:\PERL\Apache.exe -d "c:\perl" -s -k restart

My "c:\apache" in each case is changed to "c:\perl"

Again, your absolutely best bet is to follow
instructions provided with Indigo Perl. You
won't go wrong and will find this very easy.
You will create a seamless installation by
following instructions.

Godzilla!

Mon, 17 May 2004 16:24:19 GMT
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...

 (snipped)

Bullocks!

Bollocks!

hmmm... Castrated Bulls!

Moronic!

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

You are an idiotic Troll!

Get out of OUR group!

Leave!

[Do not pay any attention to what Godzilla says. It  is a  troll, and
has no decent working knowledge of Perl or  programming  in general.
Search groups.google.com to see a history  of its posts  and replies
to these posts.]

There. You Perl 5 Cargo Cultist boys, including those of you
pretending to be girls, won't need to run this risk of leaving
your Taliban Cleric Code Cop Cave with your usual bad intent to
harass and troll me, only to be annihilated by my launching
one of my smart bombasts.

Ain't I polite and considerate?

Godzilla!  Queen Of Bombastia.

Mon, 17 May 2004 17:26:36 GMT
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:26:36 -0800,

Quote:

> [Do not pay any attention to what Godzilla says. It  is a  troll, and
> has no decent working knowledge of Perl or  programming  in general.
> Search groups.google.com to see a history  of its posts  and replies
> to these posts.]

You only get these when you're clearly spreading FUD or crud, which is
unfortunately too often.

Martien
--

Martien Verbruggen              | Think of the average person. Half of
Trading Post Australia Pty Ltd  | the people out there are dumber.

Mon, 17 May 2004 22:57:08 GMT
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...

Quote:

>I have never used Indigoperl, but there is more to
>setting up a program than just copying folders.
>There are file extensions to be written, config files
>to be written, registry entries yada yada yada.  I'm

Actually, with Indigoperl, no there isn't. All that the install
system does is to add it's bin directory to your path.

Tue, 18 May 2004 07:30:59 GMT
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...

Quote:

>>I have never used Indigoperl, but there is more to
>>setting up a program than just copying folders.
>>There are file extensions to be written, config files
>>to be written, registry entries yada yada yada.  I'm

>Actually, with Indigoperl, no there isn't. All that the install
>system does is to add it's bin directory to your path.

Thanks for the info.

It doesn't even associate the .pl extension with perl?

Regards,
Helgi Briem

Tue, 18 May 2004 11:55:26 GMT
 Inigo Perl on WinNT...

Quote:

>>Actually, with Indigoperl, no there isn't. All that the install
>>system does is to add it's bin directory to your path.

Plus updating the paths in the webserver's configuration file, and
adding a submenu in the Start -> Programs menu.

Quote:
>Thanks for the info.

>It doesn't even associate the .pl extension with perl?

Er... apparently not. Heh.

Coming from ActivePerl, I hadn't even noticed. I guess I must have
updated the file association myself.

--
        Bart.

Tue, 18 May 2004 13:55:54 GMT

1. threads in perl under winnt

2. problems with perl-odbc-acces(winnt)

3. WinNT SNMP-Perl

4. Perl, ODBC, and WinNT on an Alpha

5. Calling C code from PERL under WinNT

6. Perl+ODBC+WinNT+IIS

7. Truoble installing/configuring the mySQL driver for ActiveState Perl on WinNT

8. Using Perl to access WATCOM/SQLAnywhere on WINNT

9. Perl WinNT binary file problem

10. PERL/CGI for WinNT Help Needed !

11. SNMP Traps with Perl on WinNT

12. How to set map attributes or file attributes under WinNT to run perl cgi