executing commands, command-line vs. browser
Author Message
 executing commands, command-line vs. browser

I'm trying to write a CGI app that does a lot of processing.  If I just
run it through, the browser times out.  I figured that the best way
would be to spawn a new process to perform the processing and redirect
the user to a page that continually checks to see if the process is
finished.  It works like this:

script(redirect)-

                 |-script(run)
                 |-redirect

The second instance of the script writes to a file.  The redirect script
checks for a specific comment in that file and displays the file if the
comment is present.  Otherwise, it redirects to itself.

Here's the problem.  When I run the script from the command line (as
root, or nobody), it works fine.  When I try to run it from a browser,
the script(run) part isn't executed correctly.  As far as I can tell,
the problem is with passing arguments to the script on the command line.
 When it's run in a browser, the command line doesn't take the
arguments.  Please help.

--
Matt Chesler
Sun Microsystems - SPA

(781)442-2753

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 01 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 executing commands, command-line vs. browser

MCMXCIII in <URL::">
''
'' Here's the problem.  When I run the script from the command line (as
'' root, or nobody), it works fine.  When I try to run it from a browser,
'' the script(run) part isn't executed correctly.  As far as I can tell,
'' the problem is with passing arguments to the script on the command line.
''  When it's run in a browser, the command line doesn't take the
'' arguments.  Please help.

What arguments is the browser supposed to send?

Followups set, as your problem has as much to do with Perl as
Java has with penguins.

Abigail
--
perl -MNet::Dict -we '(Net::Dict -> new (server => "dict.org")
                       -> define ("foldoc", "perl")) [0] -> print'

Tue, 01 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Executes under command-line not through the browser

2. LIBWWW - Command Line vs Web Browser

3. RE : DIFFICULT: Can't execute system command from FVWM, but can from the command line

4. -ln015 on #! line -vs- command line

5. Executing Perl Script From Command Line

6. Command line instructions don't execute in Win95

7. Question: command line with perl and Web browser

8. Execute multi commands in one line

9. Executing from command line to simulate the web transaction

10. work on command line and not via browser?

11. Using Perl OPEN to Execute External Command Line Programs