How to Benchmark CGI Performance ?
Author Message
 How to Benchmark CGI Performance ?

Hy everybody,
I'd like to know how I could possibly run a reliable Benchmarking
test on a Server that has different perl CGIs on it. I think it is not
sufficient to just send requests to the server and watch the CPU usage
grow. I would like to have results like "20 requests/second processed".

Maybe this is a little off-topic, but does anybody know if there are
tools that can do these Benchmarks ? Or does anybody know how I could
write a script that can do exactly this thing ?
Thanks in advance.

Y.T.,
Toni

F'up de.comp.lang.perl.cgi

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:39:32 GMT
 How to Benchmark CGI Performance ?
Have you tried the Benchmark Perl module??
For a description see perldoc Benchmark.
The module can tell you the time a specific code or just your hole script
took...
Greetz

Bastian Ballmann

Quote:

--
Djz rule the world! ...and some other staff ;-p Find out at http://www.crazydj.de

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:50:29 GMT
 How to Benchmark CGI Performance ?

Quote:
> Have you tried the Benchmark Perl module??
> For a description see perldoc Benchmark.
> The module can tell you the time a specific code or just your hole script
> took...
> Greetz

Yes, i know the Benchmark Module, but that's not exactly what I need.
It is irrelvant to me how long each individual script took to process,
but I need to know how many connections my server can handle

Y.T.,
Toni

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:06:31 GMT
 How to Benchmark CGI Performance ?

Quote:

> Hy everybody,
> I'd like to know how I could possibly run a reliable Benchmarking
> test on a Server that has different perl CGIs on it. I think it is not
> sufficient to just send requests to the server and watch the CPU usage
> grow. I would like to have results like "20 requests/second processed".

Lincoln Stein has a torture.pl script he wrote for some magazine.

    http://stein.cshl.org/~lstein/torture/

--

CGI Meta FAQ - http://www.perl.org/CGI_MetaFAQ.html
Troubleshooting CGI scripts - http://www.perl.org/troubleshooting_CGI.html

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:18:49 GMT

}
} Maybe this is a little off-topic, but does anybody know if there are
} tools that can do these Benchmarks ? Or does anybody know how I could
} write a script that can do exactly this thing ?
} Thanks in advance.

If you have apache, you can use ab(1).

--
Rafael Garcia-Suarez / http://rgarciasuarez.free.fr/

Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:56:38 GMT
 How to Benchmark CGI Performance ?

Quote:
> If you have apache, you can use ab(1).

Whoa ! Thank you very much, thats exactly what I needed !!
Since I am not very familiar with Apache I did not notice that there was
such a cool tool included !

Y.T.,
Toni

Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:37:52 GMT

1. Performance gap in Benchmark.pm with/without Tk interface

2. Proposal - Benchmark::ElapsedTimer and Benchmark::Timing_Harness

3. CGI.pm/cgi-lib.pl benchmark (Was: cgi-lib.pl or CGI.pm?)

4. performance Perl CGI+W2K+IIS5?

5. how to evaluate the performance of CGI (perl )?

6. Performance Advice: CGI servers files

7. Perl CGI Performance

8. cgi Performance?

9. Memory allocation and CGI Performance

10. CGI Performance (mod_perl, fastcgi, or what).

11. Tweaking CGI script for performance

12. Perl use for cgi-bin script- Performance problem?