Multi-platform Perl compiles
Author Message
 Multi-platform Perl compiles

I'm about to start a multi-platform (HPUX 10.20 and Solaris) compile of Perl
5.005; I've done compiles before, but I've only a multi-platform compile
once before, so I've got a couple of questions:

1) The way I've been doing this is doing the compile as you would normally,
then copying all the executables in $PERLDIR/bin into a directory; this gets
repeated for every platform.  Each of the directories of executables goes
into $PERLDIR/bin, and I write a little wrapper script that selects the
correct one at execution time.  Now, this is the only way I know to do this,
but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't some brilliantly easier way.

2) I'm installing several modules; some are statically compiled, some
dynamically.  My big question is: how do I know which modules need to be
installed while compiling the whole Perl install (and thus, these modules
are compiled and installed for each platform), and which modules I can later
install from one platform and still have it accessible on all platforms?
Logically, the modules that are just Perl code (ie. no C libraries to worry
about like with ARSperl or DB_File) don't need to be installed on every
platform, but how do I know for sure which ones can be installed with which
way?

If anyone has any experience with multi-platform Perl installs (or if you
know of a good web page describing all this), I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Kav Moradhassel

Thu, 26 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Multi-platform Perl compiles

2. PERL for multi-platform, distributed environment

3. Multi-platform perl scripts?

4. multi platform perl-tcp/ip

5. Perl 5 multi platform issues

6. perl on multi platforms

7. multi-platform module installation

8. compiling perl scripts under win32 platform

9. Compiling Perl to .exe for Windows Platform

10. Compile script to exe on many platforms

11. Compile error on STDOUT format on NT platform

12. Howto compile Tk widgets on a windows platform??