Perl Tutorial "Program Repair Shop and Red Flags" 23 April 2001
Author Message
 Perl Tutorial "Program Repair Shop and Red Flags" 23 April 2001

This year I'll be doing four tutorials at the big Perl conference in
San Diego.  One of them is new; it's called `Program Repair Shop and
Red Flags'.  I need to practice this before I go to San Diego, so I'll
be giving the tutorial in Philadelphia next month.  If you were to
attend in San Diego, you would pay about $320.  But you can come to my
practice session for less than that.  I am asking for a (voluntary)
donation of $5 to cover expenses.  Any money I have left over will be
donated to the Free Software Foundation.

WHEN

The tutorial will be at 6 PM on Monday, 23 April, and will end around
9:30 or 10:00 PM.  I will give it in room 303 of the Towne Building of
University of Pennsylvania. (Directions below.)

WHAT

Here's the brochure description:

        PERL PROGAM REPAIR SHOP AND RED FLAGS

        Length: 3 hours

        Who should attend: All Perl programmers.  Basic familiarity
        with Perl is required.

        What you will learn: Style and technique tips that will make
        your programs easier to understand and easier to maintain and
        modify.  We will look at several examples of real Perl
        programs and examine their flaws, drawbacks, and limitations,
        including:

                * Performance problems
                * Suprising behavior
                * Poor layout
                * Fragility
                * Error handling
                * Maintenance nightmares
                * Portability problems

        Often just a few small changes can make a program much more
        powerful while at the same time _reducing_ the amount of code.

        We will also see a number of 'red flags': Early warning signs
        that you might see in your own code that almost always
        indicate that something is wrong or should be done
        differently.

        Criticism will be incisive but kind, in the style of Mark's
        well-received 'Program Repair Shop and Red Flags' articles
        from www.perl.com.

        Mark-Jason Dominus has been programming in Perl since 1993.
        He is the managing editor of www.perl.com, a moderator of the
        comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup, an occasional contributor of
        Perl core patches, and the author of the 'perlreftut' manual
        page. He is noted for his articles in the Perl Journal, his
        classes and tutorials at past Perl conferences, and his
        'Memoize', 'Text::Template', and 'Algorithm::Diff' modules.

Attendees are invited to submit their own code for review during the

April 16 2001.

WHERE

The Towne Building is located at 220 South
33rd Street in Philadelphia.

For directions to the University, see

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

Maps are available at
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

HOW

You must make an advance reservation; I have room for only 42 people.
To reserve, please send an email message to

AFTER 9AM ON THURSDAY APRIL 4 2001.

I'd like it if this notice could be circulated to other groups that
might be interested, so to give it a chance to circulate, I'm going to
disregard any mail I receive asking for a reservation unless it
arrives after 9AM tomorrow.

If I get more than 42 requests for reservations, participants will
be selected by me based on some combination of:

         * Promptness of response  (ignoring responses that arrive before 9AM)
         * Random drawing
         * Blatant favoritism

I hope to see lots and lots of people there.

My grateful thanks to Helen Anderson and to the University of
Pennsylvania School of Engineering and Applied Science for providing
the space and AV equipment for my talk.

[Note: This article was posted with 'Distribution: phl' in the
header.  If you are reading it, it is because your news administrator
has made a decision to receive articles intended for distribution
within the Philadelphia area.   ]
rd
($p{$_})&6];$p{$_}=/ ^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep rand(2)if/\S/;print

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 03:11:29 GMT
 Perl Tutorial "Program Repair Shop and Red Flags" 23 April 2001
[posted and mailed]

[...]

Quote:
> Here's the brochure description:

[...]

Quote:
>         He is the managing editor of www.perl.com, a moderator of the
>         comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup, ...

Now how did that slip in?

Anno

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:11:51 GMT
 Perl Tutorial "Program Repair Shop and Red Flags" 23 April 2001

Quote:
>> He is the managing editor of www.perl.com, a moderator of the
>> comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup, ...

Anno> Now how did that slip in?

s/moderator/moderate/ :)

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:54:14 GMT
 Perl Tutorial "Program Repair Shop and Red Flags" 23 April 2001

Quote:

>[posted and mailed]

>[...]

>> Here's the brochure description:

>[...]

>>         He is the managing editor of www.perl.com, a moderator of the
>>         comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup, ...

>Now how did that slip in?

At the time I wrote the description for the brochure, I was the
managing editor of www.perl.com, although I am no longer.
comp.lang.perl.misc should of course be comp.lang.perl.moderated.
Thanks for catching this.
rd
($p{$_})&6];$p{$_}=/ ^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep rand(2)if/\S/;print

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:04:34 GMT
 Perl Tutorial "Program Repair Shop and Red Flags" 23 April 2001

(various snippage)

Quote:

> >> Here's the brochure description:
> >> He is the managing editor of www.perl.com, a moderator of the
> >> comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup, ...
> > Now how did that slip in?
> At the time I wrote the description for the brochure, I was the
> managing editor of www.perl.com, although I am no longer.
> comp.lang.perl.misc should of course be comp.lang.perl.moderated.
> Thanks for catching this.

I am surprised perl.com alleges an editor; this is a relatively
poorly written site containing an above average amount of errors
in grammar, spelling, sentence structure and topic flow. I have
read more poorly written sites for certain. However, a site such
as perl.com which is associated with a publisher, O'Reilly, should
present perfection in language usage.

 "With breathless expectation, the Perl community has been waiting
  for Larry Wall to reveal how Perl 6 is going to take shape. In the
  first of a series of "apocalyptic" articles, Larry reveals the ugly,
  the bad, and the good parts of the Perl 6 design process."

This is their opening paragraph for their initial public access
page. A reasonable reader will quickly spot many writing style
errors, grammar errors and outright{*filter*}amamie statements.

I am rather curious what mode of transportation Perl 6
employs to "go" places, where, upon arrival, will take on
some unknown shape, much like a Shapeshifter. Others
would say this use of "is going to take shape" indicates
going to some unknown place to take a shape, literally
physically possess and remove a shape.

"...how Perl 6 is going to take shape."

* laughs *

Isn't it quite clear "how" this will happen? How this
will happen is at the hand of Larry Wall and others.

"...what features Perl 6 will have," seems less{*filter*}amamie.

Their "breathless expectation" should be written as,
"breathless anticipation" as "breathless" and "expectation"
are an adjectival mismatch; very poor style.

Use of "has been waiting" indicates the Perl Community is
no longer waiting for Larry Wall's Perl 6 release. Odd,
don't you think? I would think the Perl Community "is"
waiting for this new release. Reads to be a temp{*filter*}
tangle, for sure.

Their subtle apocalyptic reference to an infamous Marlon Brando
movie, clearly does not relate to an infamous western movie
starring one of my favorite men, Clint Eastwood, noted by the
title of his movie quoted backwards by the writer of this
perl.com opening page.

It is said, "The first few minutes of an interview,
are the most important." This{*filter*}amamie opening for
perl.com is of such a humorous nature, such a comical
commentary on the relative writing skills of those
maintaining perl.com, my presumption is perl.com
proper, after my reading of their opening paragraph,
is hoping to impress the illiterate clowns amongst us.

With all due respect, Mr. Dominus, an editor worth the weight
of her or his red line pencil, would not be merciful in editing
your cited article; it would be left a {*filter*}y red mess, with
prejudice, for your ironic misspelling of "misspell." Your
article, although well intended and informative, is a reflection
of the poor writing skills exhibited throughout perl.com's pages;
it is riddled with awkward writing and, grammatical errors.

My opinion is, perl.com and O'Reilly are neither qualified
nor entitled to lay claim to having an editor.

Godzilla!

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:09:36 GMT
 Perl Tutorial "Program Repair Shop and Red Flags" 23 April 2001

Quote:

> I am surprised perl.com alleges an editor; this is a relatively
> poorly written site containing an above average amount of errors in
> grammar, spelling, sentence structure and topic flow. I have read
> more poorly written sites for certain. However, a site such as
> perl.com which is associated with a publisher, O'Reilly, should
> present perfection in language usage.

<long, rather dubious rant against some alleged grammatical sins>

Quote:
> With all due respect, Mr. Dominus, an editor worth the weight of her
> or his red line pencil, would not be merciful in editing your cited
> article; it would be left a {*filter*}y red mess, with prejudice, for
> your ironic misspelling of "misspell." Your article, although well
> intended and informative, is a reflection of the poor writing skills
> exhibited throughout perl.com's pages; it is riddled with awkward
> writing and, grammatical errors.

> My opinion is, perl.com and O'Reilly are neither qualified
> nor entitled to lay claim to having an editor.

I find it amazing that you can find such fault with others, yet didn't
even notice, in your own quote from Mark, that he clearly stated:

Quote:
> > At the time I wrote the description for the brochure, I was the
> > managing editor of www.perl.com, although I am no longer.

I believe Mark handed over his reins of editorial power(1) several
months ago.  Further, it you have complains about the quality of the
editing on www.perl.com, I humbly suggest that an email to either
perl.com or O'Reilly might be a more appropriate place to express
those concerns.

Walt Mankowski

1.  That's a metaphor, before you start flaming me, too.

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 02:25:45 GMT

1. Perl and the Windows April Fools 2001 bug

2. Perl tutorials at U Penn on Monday April 14 and April 21

3. Adv Perl Prog Tutorial - 6/23-25/97

4. Arpanet's "Perl Shop" shopping cart program

5. "character class ""bug""

6. system("perl", "program.pl?variable=$value"); does not run program.pl

7. Format 23-AUG-01 to Wednesday 23rd August 2001?

8. Setting flags on "tie"ed NDBM "store"?

9. Perl-Program to "describe" Files

10. Launching "programs" from perl

11. Digital "Programming the Perl DBI"