using system() command in perl/cgi script running under Linux
Author Message
 using system() command in perl/cgi script running under Linux

Hi,

I am suppose to decrypt a series of files in a particular directory
automatically using a perl/cgi script.
By the way the files are all encrypted using pgp.

I have use the system() command to perform this task in
a perl/cgi script as pgp commands need to be embed inside
my script.

My problem is when the script is run manually, it works fine but
when it is called via a URL from a HTML form., the script runs
without error but the commands in the system() simply is not
executed.

Can somebody please tell what is wrong and how can this be
done. Thank you.

liew
malaysia

Sun, 27 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 using system() command in perl/cgi script running under Linux
Odds are, your web server is running as user "nobody" and has a
very limited path.  Does that user have rights to run pgp?  Are
you specifying a full path to the executable?   I have no idea
what pgp looks like when it runs, but if it emits some kind of
text have you tried running it in backtics and examining its
output to see if it actually ran at all?
Quote:

> Hi,

> I am suppose to decrypt a series of files in a particular directory
> automatically using a perl/cgi script.
> By the way the files are all encrypted using pgp.

> I have use the system() command to perform this task in
> a perl/cgi script as pgp commands need to be embed inside
> my script.

> My problem is when the script is run manually, it works fine but
> when it is called via a URL from a HTML form., the script runs
> without error but the commands in the system() simply is not
> executed.

> Can somebody please tell what is wrong and how can this be
> done. Thank you.

> liew
> malaysia

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. call linux system command from web using perl

2. running linux shell commands from perl scripts....

3. Using perl to run system commands

4. running linux shell commands from perl scripts....

5. system commands running but not .exe from perl script

6. using the command system() in perl cgi

7. running perl at command line with arguments: script.cgi?text=text

8. perl cgi script doesn't finish after calling system command

9. Running a Perl/CGI form script from the command line

10. running perl at command line with arguments: script.cgi?text=text

11. Running CGI perl script from command line

12. Problem running sendmail in CGI script (Linux)