making 'find' follow soft links
Author Message
 making 'find' follow soft links

Hi, is it possible to make 'find' follow soft links??
The danger of an infinite loop is clear, but working
around this limitation does not seem easy.  Detect
soft links to directories and fire off a new 'find'
command?! :0

Thanks as always.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 making 'find' follow soft links

Quote:

>Hi, is it possible to make 'find' follow soft links??
>The danger of an infinite loop is clear, but working
>around this limitation does not seem easy.

This is off-topic for a Perl newsgroup.  The answers are: -follow, use
GNU or SCO find.
--

Fri Sep 17 1999
52 days until the Internet stock bubble bursts on Monday, 1999-11-08.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 making 'find' follow soft links
I'm referring to the Perl File::Find::find function, not the unix command
with the same name.

:
: This is off-topic for a Perl newsgroup.  The answers are: -follow, use
: GNU or SCO find.
: --

: Fri Sep 17 1999
: 52 days until the Internet stock bubble bursts on Monday, 1999-11-08.
: <URL:http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/bubble.html>

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 making 'find' follow soft links

Quote:

> : >Hi, is it possible to make 'find' follow soft links??
> : >The danger of an infinite loop is clear, but working
> : >around this limitation does not seem easy.
> :
> : This is off-topic for a Perl newsgroup.  The answers are: -follow, use
> : GNU or SCO find.

> I'm referring to the Perl File::Find::find function, not the unix command
> with the same name.

There is a possibility that Kragen knew that -  because he had read the
File::Find manpage:

BUGS
       There is no way to make find or finddepth follow symlinks.

/J\
--

<http://www.gellyfish.com>
Hastings: <URL:http://dmoz.org/Regional/UK/England/East_Sussex/Hastings>

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 making 'find' follow soft links

Quote:

>> : This is off-topic for a Perl newsgroup.  The answers are: -follow, use
>> : GNU or SCO find.

>> I'm referring to the Perl File::Find::find function, not the unix command
>> with the same name.

>There is a possibility that Kragen knew that -  because he had read the
>File::Find manpage:

You flatter me too much.  The truth is that I incorrectly chastised the
original poster because I didn't know File::Find existed.  I'm sorry.

If I have time, I will fix File::Find to follow symlinks safely.
--

Fri Sep 17 1999
52 days until the Internet stock bubble bursts on Monday, 1999-11-08.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. File::Find doesn't follow symbolic links

2. File::Find doesn't follow symbolic links

3. find2perl doesn't follow symbolic links

4. OT: Regex - hard or soft 'g'

5. File::Find - how to follow links

6. perl 'follow' util

7. File::Find follow cannot replicate solaris 'find'

8. File::Find follow cannot replicate solaris 'find'

9. 'making' perl

10. making 'perl' (help)

11. 'making' perl