Efficiency utils for Perl scripts on Unix and Windblow$?
Author Message
 Efficiency utils for Perl scripts on Unix and Windblow$?

Hey folks,

Over the last couple of weeks, I've learned a *lot* about making my code more
efficient and faster, thanks to those who critiqued my code and offered
suggestions/directions.

So, I'm wondering if there are any utils out there that will tell me the
efficiency/resource uses of a perl script. I know (well, I think, since I'm not
a Unix wiz) there's a system command in unix that will tell you stuff like CPU
usage, time to process, etc, but I don't know what it is.

so a) can someone tell me how to find that out on a unix machine?
b) is there some way of finding out the same information on a windblow$
machine?

I'm thinking along similar lines when I used a modem to connect to the 'net,
there were a zillion little apps to tell you BPS, latency, dropped packets,
etc, and I could use that to measure registry and modem register tweaks. If
there's something like that for Perl scripts, it'd be a neat thing to have to
help speed them up and/or make them more system friendly.
--
----------------------------
Marc Bissonnette

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Efficiency utils for Perl scripts on Unix and Windblow$?

  MB> So, I'm wondering if there are any utils out there that will tell
  MB> me the efficiency/resource uses of a perl script. I know (well, I
  MB> think, since I'm not a Unix wiz) there's a system command in unix
  MB> that will tell you stuff like CPU usage, time to process, etc, but
  MB> I don't know what it is.

use Benchmark ;

i am in the middle of doing lots of that as i type.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  -----------------  SYStems ARCHitecture and Software Engineering

Have Perl, Will Travel  -----------------------------  http://www.sysarch.com
The Best Search Engine on the Net -------------  http://www.northernlight.com

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Efficiency utils for Perl scripts on Unix and Windblow$?

Quote:

>   MB> So, I'm wondering if there are any utils out there that will tell
>   MB> me the efficiency/resource uses of a perl script. I know (well, I
>   MB> think, since I'm not a Unix wiz) there's a system command in unix
>   MB> that will tell you stuff like CPU usage, time to process, etc, but
>   MB> I don't know what it is.

> use Benchmark ;

That module relies on these Perl functions, which you can use directly
if more appropriate:

perldoc -f time
perldoc -f times

Quote:
>   MB> so a) can someone tell me how to find that out on a unix machine?
>   MB> b) is there some way of finding out the same information on a
>   MB> windblow$ machine?

Same difference.

--
(Just Another Larry) Rosler
Hewlett-Packard Company

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl versions of unix utils

2. efficiency in data-processing perl script ...

3. help assessing efficiency of perl script, and testing file content size

4. Problem with Unix pipe within perl script (also posted in comp.unix.programmer)

5. perl script works fine on one unix system but fails on another unix server

6. C utils for Perl

7. Perl utils in C?

8. Calling another Perl script (on UNIX) from a script on Windows NT

9. script efficiency improvement

10. Redirect STDOUT from a Unix script to a perl program and then redirect back to script

11. Unix script inside a Perl script

12. Using a Unix script in a Perl Script