Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.
Author Message
 Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.

Quote:

> Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.

> This should be an easy task, but I can only find a method to read
> Newsgroups with a perl script.

> Can anyone in Perl land give me a starting point for this process?

Take a look at Net::NNTP, part of libnet.  You can get libnet and other
useful modules from the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN):

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

There's also News::NNTPClient, but I've never used it.  You might also
want to peruse RFCs 977 and 1036:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Hope this helps.
--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mfuhr/

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.

On Thu, 09 Oct 1997 16:56:21 -0700, Brandon Stirling

Quote:

>Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.

This better not just mean: spamming Usenet with a perl script.  If it
does, then we will have to work on making Brandon's life miserable
with a perl script.  :-)

Quote:
>This should be an easy task, but I can only find a method to read
>Newsgroups with a perl script.

It is easy, too easy.  The reason you don't find many Usenet posting
scripts is because very few people like Spam!

Quote:
>Can anyone in Perl land give me a starting point for this process?

Look for the Net:NNTP module and use the 'post()' method.  If it isn't
already installed, it is part of the libnet distribution and should be
available from any CPAN site.  If you are stuck in perl version 4.x
land, you will probably have to play with "sockets.pl".  Good luck.
Have fun.  Be nice.  Be very, very nice.

Streben nach Wahrheit

Faust Gertz
Philosopher at Large

"We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on
bookstores!" --Tom Waits, _The Fisher King_

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.

Quote:
>Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.
>This should be an easy task, but I can only find a method to read
>Newsgroups with a perl script.

open (NEWS "|news -h");

#Mandatory headers
print NEWS<<"End Of Text"
Newsgroups: $group
Subject: $subject
From: $from
End Of Text

#Mandatory if a reply
print NEWS "References: $ref\n" if ($ref);
#Blank line to indercate the end of headers
print NEWS "\n";

#Write a loop here that prints the body out to NEWS

close(NEWS);

__END__

Quote:
>Can anyone in Perl land give me a starting point for this process?

Hope this helps.  You will have to provide the loop and the valuse of the
header verables though.

--
Please excuse my spelling as I suffer from agraphia see the url in my header.
Never trust a country with more peaple then sheep. Buy easter bilbies.

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.

Quote:
> Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.

> This should be an easy task, but I can only find a method to read
> Newsgroups with a perl script.

> Can anyone in Perl land give me a starting point for this process?

Check out the Net::NNTP module.  There was an article about this sort
of thing in Vol 1, Issue 4 of The Perl Journal... maybe you can find it
on the web site (www.tpj.com).

--
                                                 O'Shaughnessy Evans -
                                       http://www.callamer.com/shaug -

Wed, 29 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.

[cc'd automagically to original author]

On Thu, 09 Oct 1997 16:56:21 -0700, Brandon Stirling

Quote:

>Posting to a Newsgroup with a Perl Script.

>This should be an easy task, but I can only find a method to read
>Newsgroups with a perl script.

>Can anyone in Perl land give me a starting point for this process?

Lookup the NTTP module on CPAN.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Zawodny
Internet Technology Group

http://www.marathon.com/

Unless explicitly stated, these are my opinions only--not those of my employer.

Sat, 01 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. posting in newsgroup using perl script?

2. Posting to Newsgroups from Perl Script

3. Script for posting in Newsgroups

4. Need script for posting to newsgroups

5. Posting to a newsgroup using Perl

6. Posting an article to a newsgroup using Perl

7. Guru help needed - Posting from perl-cgi to newsgroup

8. Automating postings to newsgroups with Perl

9. Posting to newsgroups via PERL

10. perl posting to newsgroup

11. Send Bulk Newsgroup Postings

12. Net::NNTP - problem posting to newsgroups