Black Perl 
Author Message
 Black Perl

Does anyone know the author of the Black Perl poem found in the Camel Book?

$incerely                               =$_='
Kevin

';s;\s(.+)\s+;\1;;y;nK;lD;;$_="The $_";print;



Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:52:34 GMT  
 Black Perl
On 2 Sep 2001 02:52:34 -0700,

Quote:
> Does anyone know the author of the Black Perl poem found in the Camel Book?

Larry Wall, of course.

Reread the first paragraph of the Perl Poetry section, and you'll notice
that that is what it says. Of course, you could also just use Google.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              | My friend has a baby. I'm writing
Interactive Media Division      | down all the noises the baby makes so
Commercial Dynamics Pty. Ltd.   | later I can ask him what he meant -
NSW, Australia                  | Steven Wright



Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:16:27 GMT  
 Black Perl
On 2 Sep 2001 02:52:34 -0700,

Quote:
> Does anyone know the author of the Black Perl poem found in the Camel Book?

Hmm.. I thought it was by Larry Wall, himself, but it's actually by
Sharon Hopkins, who's done quite a few poems in Perl.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              | Since light travels faster than
Interactive Media Division      | sound, isn't that why some people
Commercial Dynamics Pty. Ltd.   | appear bright until you hear them
NSW, Australia                  | speak?



Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:27:26 GMT  
 Black Perl
In my copy (3rd edition), it attributes the first poem to Sharon, but
not Black Perl. Larry writes, "A person who wishes to remain anonymous
wrote the following example of Black Perl". I was wondering if anyone
has taken credit since.

$incerely                            =$_='
Kevin

';m;\w+;;$_=$&;y;nK;lD;;$_="The $_";print;

Quote:

> On 2 Sep 2001 02:52:34 -0700,

> > Does anyone know the author of the Black Perl poem found in the Camel Book?

> Hmm.. I thought it was by Larry Wall, himself, but it's actually by
> Sharon Hopkins, who's done quite a few poems in Perl.

> Martien



Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:06:54 GMT  
 Black Perl
[Post reorganised to obey the normal arrow of time]

On 2 Sep 2001 10:06:54 -0700,

Quote:

>> On 2 Sep 2001 02:52:34 -0700,

>> > Does anyone know the author of the Black Perl poem found in the Camel Book?

>> Hmm.. I thought it was by Larry Wall, himself, but it's actually by
>> Sharon Hopkins, who's done quite a few poems in Perl.

> In my copy (3rd edition), it attributes the first poem to Sharon, but
> not Black Perl. Larry writes, "A person who wishes to remain anonymous
> wrote the following example of Black Perl". I was wondering if anyone
> has taken credit since.

I should have probably quoted the source for my remark.

Camels and Needles: Computer Poetry meets the Perl Programming Language
     by Sharon Hopkins,

http://kiev.wall.org/~sharon/plpaper.ps
(I haven't been able to get kiev.wall.org to respond, but it probably
is stil there)

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              | My friend has a baby. I'm writing
Interactive Media Division      | down all the noises the baby makes
Commercial Dynamics Pty. Ltd.   | so later I can ask him what he meant
NSW, Australia                  | - Steven Wright



Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:21:27 GMT  
 Black Perl

Quote:

> On 2 Sep 2001 02:52:34 -0700,

>> Does anyone know the author of the Black Perl poem found in the Camel Book?

> Larry Wall, of course.

> Reread the first paragraph of the Perl Poetry section, and you'll notice
> that that is what it says. Of course, you could also just use Google.

No, it's written by 'anonymous'. It was an april fool's day forgery in 1990.

The Perl Timeline covers this but the box that hosts it will be down until
tomorrow at the earliest. http://history.perl.org/

e.



Sat, 21 Feb 2004 01:04:36 GMT  
 Black Perl
On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 00:04:36 GMT,

Quote:


>> On 2 Sep 2001 02:52:34 -0700,

>>> Does anyone know the author of the Black Perl poem found in the Camel Book?

>> Larry Wall, of course.

>> Reread the first paragraph of the Perl Poetry section, and you'll notice
>> that that is what it says. Of course, you could also just use Google.

> No, it's written by 'anonymous'. It was an april fool's day forgery in 1990.

> The Perl Timeline covers this but the box that hosts it will be down until
> tomorrow at the earliest. http://www.*-*-*.com/

I cancelled this article, and posted another one.

The only source (on a site that was actually responding) that I could
find was this one:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

It attributes it to Sharon Hopkins, and states that it has been used
with permission.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              |
Interactive Media Division      | We are born {*filter*}, wet and hungry.
Commercial Dynamics Pty. Ltd.   | Then things get worse.
NSW, Australia                  |



Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:40:42 GMT  
 Black Perl

Martien> The only source (on a site that was actually responding) that I could
Martien> find was this one:

Martien> http://internet.ls-la.net/comppoems/black-perl.html

Martien> It attributes it to Sharon Hopkins, and states that it has been used
Martien> with permission.

Well, it attributes *that* poem to Larry, as taken from an article
that Sharon wrote on the Perl poetry.

Or are you reading this differently than I am?  The presence of
Larry's name immediately below the poem seems to attribute it
(properly) to him.

And using my Sekret Klub-Member Decoder Ring, I'd say that attribution
is accurate. :)

--
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095

Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!



Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:05:44 GMT  
 Black Perl


Quote:
> The only source (on a site that was actually responding) that I could
> find was this one:

> http://internet.ls-la.net/comppoems/black-perl.html

> It attributes it to Sharon Hopkins, and states that it has been used
> with permission.

What version of perl is it supposed to compile under?


Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:53:29 GMT  
 Black Perl
On 04 Sep 2001 07:05:44 -0700,

Quote:

>Martien> The only source (on a site that was actually responding) that I could
>Martien> find was this one:

>Martien> http://internet.ls-la.net/comppoems/black-perl.html

>Martien> It attributes it to Sharon Hopkins, and states that it has been used
>Martien> with permission.

> Well, it attributes *that* poem to Larry, as taken from an article
> that Sharon wrote on the Perl poetry.

This was how I read it the first time, when I posted the article that
this is a followup to.

Quote:
> Or are you reading this differently than I am?  The presence of
> Larry's name immediately below the poem seems to attribute it
> (properly) to him.

Then, I reread it, and mentally divided the attribution up differently,
with commas, and I read it as if it was attributed to Sharon Hopkins,
and that Larry was just the 'publisher', the one who posted it.

But now that I look at it again, I think you're right.

Quote:
> And using my Sekret Klub-Member Decoder Ring, I'd say that attribution
> is accurate. :)

Well, that clinches it :)

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              | My friend has a baby. I'm writing
Interactive Media Division      | down all the noises the baby makes so
Commercial Dynamics Pty. Ltd.   | later I can ask him what he meant -
NSW, Australia                  | Steven Wright



Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:01:29 GMT  
 Black Perl
On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:53:29 +1000,

Quote:



>> The only source (on a site that was actually responding) that I could
>> find was this one:

>> http://internet.ls-la.net/comppoems/black-perl.html

>> It attributes it to Sharon Hopkins, and states that it has been used
>> with permission.

> What version of perl is it supposed to compile under?

The Camel says:

    Larry is particularly relieved that "Black Perl", originally written
    for Perl 3, no longer parses under Perl 5.

So, it certainly would parse under Perl 3, almost certainly under Perl
4, and not under Perl 5.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              |
Interactive Media Division      |
Commercial Dynamics Pty. Ltd.   | Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.
NSW, Australia                  |



Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:03:47 GMT  
 Black Perl

Quote:

> So, it certainly would parse under Perl 3, almost certainly under Perl
> 4, and not under Perl 5.

Twould be enormously and enjoyably ironic if it parsed under
Perl 6, or some subsequent version.

Not that that's likely.

- jonadab



Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:16:14 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Screen Flash Black - Perl on NT4.0

2. Installing Perl 5.000 on NeXT (Black)?

3. Perl a Black Sheep?

4. curseperl on NeXT 3.2 on black

5. Air Jordan 2011 Black White Sport Red In Best Price News

6. The black list: websites banned on Google

7. NeXT 3.0 black perl5.001 compile errors...

8. READ THE ONLY WEB SITE THAT WANTS TO KILL JEWS AND BLACKS

9. multy key sort, black pearl

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software