Interfacing With Parallel Port in PERL
Author Message
 Interfacing With Parallel Port in PERL

Hiya,
    I am currently working on a project to output informatgion to an 20x4
LCD on a parallel port, but i cannot seem to find any modules or
documentation, on how to interface the port, i am newish to perl, and all i
have used it for before is CGI stuff, but i have decided to use perl for
this project, as i find it such an easy language to work with

    Any help, or pointers will be greatly appreciated

    Thanx

    oO_RoB_Oo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Interfacing With Parallel Port in PERL

Quote:

>     I am currently working on a project to output informatgion to an 20x4
> LCD on a parallel port, but i cannot seem to find any modules or
> documentation, on how to interface the port, i am newish to perl, and all i
> have used it for before is CGI stuff, but i have decided to use perl for
> this project, as i find it such an easy language to work with

If your operating system can access the parallel port as a device file,
use it as a file.

If not, expect to have fun writing extensions in C which you can link
into your perl code.

Quote:
>     oO_RoB_Oo

Do you have a name?

--
  Thorbj?rn Ravn Andersen               "...plus...Tubular Bells!"
  http://www.mip.sdu.dk/~ravn

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Interfacing With Parallel Port in PERL
Does Linux access the parallel port as a device file?

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:39:54 +0200, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen

Quote:

>>     I am currently working on a project to output informatgion to an 20x4
>> LCD on a parallel port, but i cannot seem to find any modules or
>> documentation, on how to interface the port, i am newish to perl, and all i
>> have used it for before is CGI stuff, but i have decided to use perl for
>> this project, as i find it such an easy language to work with

>If your operating system can access the parallel port as a device file,
>use it as a file.

>If not, expect to have fun writing extensions in C which you can link
>into your perl code.

>>     oO_RoB_Oo

>Do you have a name?

>--
>  Thorbj?rn Ravn Andersen               "...plus...Tubular Bells!"
>  http://www.mip.sdu.dk/~ravn

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Interfacing With Parallel Port in PERL

Quote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:39:54 +0200, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen

>>>     I am currently working on a project to output informatgion to an 20x4
>>> LCD on a parallel port, but i cannot seem to find any modules or
>>> documentation, on how to interface the port, i am newish to perl, and all i
>>> have used it for before is CGI stuff, but i have decided to use perl for
>>> this project, as i find it such an easy language to work with

>>If your operating system can access the parallel port as a device file,
>>use it as a file.

>>If not, expect to have fun writing extensions in C which you can link
>>into your perl code.

> Does Linux access the parallel port as a device file?

I would say so yes :

/dev/par0
/dev/par1
/dev/par2
/dev/parport0
/dev/parport1
/dev/parport2

However you would want to ask in a Linux group about that.

/J\
--
Don't eat me. I have a wife and kids. Eat them.
--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Interfacing With Parallel Port in PERL

Quote:

> Does Linux access the parallel port as a device file?

Yes.  Do you have a name?

--
  Thorbj?rn Ravn Andersen               "...plus...Tubular Bells!"
  http://www.mip.sdu.dk/~ravn

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Interfacing With Parallel Port in PERL

Quote:

> Hiya,
>     I am currently working on a project to output informatgion to an 20x4
> LCD on a parallel port, but i cannot seem to find any modules or
> documentation, on how to interface the port, i am newish to perl, and all i
> have used it for before is CGI stuff, but i have decided to use perl for
> this project, as i find it such an easy language to work with

>     Any help, or pointers will be greatly appreciated

>     Thanx

>     oO_RoB_Oo

If I understand the question, the only folks that reference a parallel port any

more are those using a browser on a PC therefore limiting the OS's to
W95/W98/WNT/W2K or Linux.  Being able to select the Parallel Port on
a Windoze PC would be nice, but I would also like to spool to the default or a
selected
Windoze PC user-defined printer.  Leave it to auditors to come up with this
sort
of requirement.

So,  is there a module or plug-in available such that when a user clicks on a
file link, it spools directly to a user selected printer without first being
displayed. The auditors theory is that if you can display if first, you can
save it, alter it, then print it. Unfortunately he is correct.  So, now I need
to come up with a way to achieve this.  One other problem is that the files
reside on a central server (Sun SunOS) and the users that need this
functionality are on opposite sides of the country us Wxx PC's.

SunOS 5.6
Netscape (iPlanet) Server V4.1
Browsers: IE 4, 5 and Netscape 4.0-4.7

Any ideas,

Michael Austin
Oracle DBA Consultant

  maustin.vcf
< 1K Download

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Interfacing With Parallel Port in PERL

2. Interfacing The Parallel Port

3. Interfacing The Parallel Port

4. Interfacing The Parallel Port

5. Interfacing The Parallel Port

6. HELP w/ Perl & PC Parallel Port

7. Parallel port functions in Perl??

8. accessing parallel port in perl

9. parallel port

10. Voltage level change in PC Parallel port to make a file run

11. Communicating with parallel port

12. Accessing Parallel Port Data