OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)
Author Message
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

I'm asking here because I am not getting consistent answers
elsewhere... and you folks seem to have strong opinions on things and
I tend to agree with you.

/usr == user
/usr == you ess are

/etc == et cee
/etc == et cetera
/etc == ee tee cee

/bin == been
/bin == byne

vi == vye
vi == vee eye

/var == vare
/var == vee aye are

and on topic:

What is this called?  $_

Thanks

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:52:21 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:
> I'm asking here because I am not getting consistent answers
> elsewhere... and you folks seem to have strong opinions on things and
> I tend to agree with you.

Here are my entirely subjective opinions:

Quote:

> /usr == user
> /usr == you ess are

user

Quote:

> /etc == et cee
> /etc == et cetera
> /etc == ee tee cee

et cetera

Quote:

> /bin == been
> /bin == byne

bin (rhymes with in)

Quote:

> vi == vye
> vi == vee eye

vee eye

Quote:

> /var == vare
> /var == vee aye are

var (rhymes with car)

Quote:

> and on topic:

> What is this called?  $_

dollar underscore

Graham

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:29:53 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:

>> I'm asking here because I am not getting consistent answers
>> elsewhere... and you folks seem to have strong opinions on things and
>> I tend to agree with you.

>Here are my entirely subjective opinions:

>> /usr == user
>> /usr == you ess are

>user

Of course.

Quote:
>> /etc == et cee
>> /etc == et cetera
>> /etc == ee tee cee

>et cetera

Pffft!   "et cee".

(your feet stink too!)

Quote:
>> /bin == been
>> /bin == byne

>bin (rhymes with in)

Right.

Quote:
>> vi == vye
>> vi == vee eye

>vee eye

Yeah.

Quote:
>> /var == vare
>> /var == vee aye are

>var (rhymes with car)

Right again.

Quote:
>> and on topic:

>> What is this called?  $_

>dollar underscore

and sometimes "the default variable", "$ARG" and
"The default input and pattern-searching space." (perlvar).

    Fort Worth, Texas

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:02:11 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

  >>> What is this called?  $_
  >>>
  >>
  >> dollar underscore

dollar under

let's keep it brief. english golf? :)

uri

--

-- Stem is an Open Source Network Development Toolkit and Application Suite -
----- Stem and Perl Development, Systems Architecture, Design and Coding ----

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:29:20 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)
On Jan 4, Uri Guttman said:

Quote:
>  >>> What is this called?  $_

>  >> dollar underscore

>dollar under

>let's keep it brief. english golf? :)

Cash instead of dollar?  Cash-under?  Cash-line?

--

RPI Acacia brother #734   http://www.perlmonks.org/   http://www.cpan.org/
<stu> what does y/// stand for?  <tenderpuss> why, yansliterate of course.

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:39:07 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:

> /usr == user

> /etc == et cetera

/bin    rhymes with "in"

vi   == eee max

/var == rhymes with "care"

Quote:
> What is this called?  $_

default

--
Jeff

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:04:25 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

wrote wonderful things about sparkplugs:

SNIP

Quote:
>vi   == eee max

SNIP
 excellent.... couldn't agree more.  I just wanted to say it correctly
when I disparaged it.

:)

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:42:01 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:
"Tad McClellan" wrote...
> >> /etc == et cee
> >> /etc == et cetera
> >> /etc == ee tee cee

> Pffft!   "et cee".

Unless you work in the telecom biz, where et-cee means ETSI.

-BD

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:54:56 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:

> /usr == user
> /usr == you ess are

user (never heard *anybody* spell it out)

Quote:
> /etc == et cee
> /etc == et cetera
> /etc == ee tee cee

et cee

Quote:
> /bin == been
> /bin == byne

byne (used to say bin, as Graham said, but bin is way too far
(phonetically) from the pronunciation of "binary")

Quote:
> vi == vye
> vi == vee eye

vee eye (and frankly, the only people I've heard say vye have no idea
what they're talking about in most things technical..)

Quote:
> /var == vare
> /var == vee aye are

var (like car)

Quote:
> and on topic:

> What is this called?  $_

Good question -- I used to know, read in an O'Reilly book once I
think.. I call it dollar underscore, but Larry Wall also says it can
be called "it". :-)
(http://www.wall.org/~larry/natural.html)

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:14:57 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:

> > /usr == user
> > /usr == you ess are

user, although this can lead to confusion when there is a "user"
directory (I've seen it happen).

Quote:
> > /etc == et cee
> > /etc == et cetera
> > /etc == ee tee cee

etcetera, since this is how the word etc. is pronounced

Quote:
> > /bin == been
> > /bin == byne

rhymes with in, since this is how the word bin is pronounced

Quote:
> > vi == vye
> > vi == vee eye

vee eye, but I don't know many people under 30 who still use it, so the
question will probably eventually become moot

Quote:
> > /var == vare
> > /var == vee aye are

rhymes with bar

Quote:
> > What is this called?  $_

Dollar underscore seems to be the most common pronunciation amongst
the perlers that I know.  However, in keeping with the spirit of perl
there should be no single correct way to pronounce it. :-)

               To find out who and where I am look at:
               http://www.nd.edu/~sholland/index.html

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:35:14 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:

> On Jan 4, Uri Guttman said:

> >  >>> What is this called?  $_

> >  >> dollar underscore

> >dollar under

> >let's keep it brief. english golf? :)

> Cash instead of dollar?  Cash-under?  Cash-line?

Dolline?

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:42:04 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:

>> > /usr == user
>> > /usr == you ess are

> user, although this can lead to confusion when there is a "user"
> directory (I've seen it happen).

With a un*x person?

Quote:
>> > /etc == et cee
>> > /etc == et cetera
>> > /etc == ee tee cee

> etcetera, since this is how the word etc. is pronounced

Too long: et-see is two syllables shorter.

Quote:
>> > vi == vye
>> > vi == vee eye

> vee eye, but I don't know many people under 30 who still use it, so the
> question will probably eventually become moot

Never!  I'm 29 and use vi regularly.  (If using vi in a regular manner
is at all possible, that is.)

Quote:
>> > What is this called?  $_

> Dollar underscore seems to be the most common pronunciation amongst
> the perlers that I know.  However, in keeping with the spirit of perl
> there should be no single correct way to pronounce it. :-)

Is there more than one way to acronymize TMTOWTDI?

--keith

--

public key:  http://wombat.san-francisco.ca.us/kkeller/public_key
alt.os.linux.slackware FAQ:  http://wombat.san-francisco.ca.us/perl/fom

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:25:35 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:

> > user, although this can lead to confusion when there is a "user"
> > directory (I've seen it happen).
> With a un*x person?

     Yes, but the person was fairly new to unix.  The problem was that
the system had been set up so that the users home directories were
/home/user/*.  Why user was used instead of users I don't know, but it
did generate a bit of confusion.

Quote:
> > etcetera, since this is how the word etc. is pronounced
> Too long: et-see is two syllables shorter.

     True, but I generally prefer clarity over brevity.

Quote:
> Is there more than one way to acronymize TMTOWTDI?

     What does it stand for?  I suppose if you want to be really
pedantic TMTOWTDI is not really an acronym since it isn't a word.

               To find out who and where I am look at:
               http://www.nd.edu/~sholland/index.html

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:40:33 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)

Quote:

> Is there more than one way to acronymize TMTOWTDI?

Well, you _could_ put in the first I (for "is").

Cameron

--
Cameron Dorey
Associate Professor of Chemistry

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:41:44 GMT
 OT :: *nix pronunciation (waaaay OT)
On Fri, 04 Jan 2002 14:29:53 +0000, Graham Wood

Quote:

> > /usr == user
> > /usr == you ess are

> user

For me, too. As in "user bin" = /usr/bin.

Quote:
> > /etc == et cee
> > /etc == et cetera
> > /etc == ee tee cee

> et cetera

For me, "ee tee cee". As in "ee tee cee eye net dee Punkt conf" or "ee
tee cee hosts".

Quote:
> > vi == vye
> > vi == vee eye

> vee eye

sicks

(just kidding)

Quote:
> > /var == vare
> > /var == vee aye are

> var (rhymes with car)

Same here.

/tmp varies between "temp" and "tee em pee" for me. /var/tmp is probably
"var temp" most often, but could also be "var tee em pee".

Quote:
> > and on topic:

> > What is this called?  $_

> dollar underscore

For me, usually nothing. I take note of it in my brain, but I don't
usually pronounce it when reading code. Kinda strange perhaps. (My wife,
who is dyslexic, says she does that kind of thing sometimes with proper
names when she reads books -- she doesn't expand the proper name to
determine the pronunciation but recognises it as an opaque, unpronounced
token, to be compared for equality later on with similar opaque tokens
;)

Cheers,
Philip
--

That really is my address; no need to remove anything to reply.

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:59:15 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. OT: Regular Expression problem

2. OT: Traffic

3. PERL and Shareware OT!!!!!

4. OT: regular expression matching multiple occurrences of one group

5. OT: Alternative to Xwin?

6. OT slightly: mod_perl vs JSP

7. Search engine design tips (OT?)

8. OT Perl Contract

9. OT: Regex - hard or soft 'g'

10. OT: Borland's equivalent to -o or -Fo

11. OT but a PERL job is available in Houston