DBD::Sybase problem -- Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Author Message
 DBD::Sybase problem -- Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Hello all,

I am having trouble in gettng DBD::Sybase to work.  Hopefully someone out there
can give me a hand.

Our platform:  RH Linux 6.0,  Sybase ASE 11.0.3.3, Perl 5.005 , DBI 1.13. and
DBD::Sybase 0.22

When installing DBD::Sybase,  'perl Makefile.PL' and "make"  went smoothly, but
ALL 'make test' failed with 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)'.   We know we
were in trouble but went ahead with 'make install' anyway to see what happened.
 The module seemed to be installed successfully but could not be used at all.

We tried a simple    $dbh=DBI->install_driver ('Sybase');  and got a
"Segmentation fault (core dumped)" error.   $dbh=DBI->connect
("dbi:Sybase:server=development;database=data1", "login1", "mypasswd") also
resulted in a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" error.  In essence, anytime
our test program referenced "dbi:Sybase" or DBD::Sybase, it crashed with a
"Segmentation fault".

We downloaded the   sybase-ase-11.0.3.3  rpm from Sybase and installed it
without any problem. So I assume that the Client Library was installed as well.

We downloaded DBD::Sybase 0.22 from CPAN directly.  We checked and checked
again to make sure that the  SYBASE env variable pointed to the sybase
installation (/opt/sybase in my case) and LANG and LC_ALL were set correctly.
We also modified the  locales.dat file as advised by Michael Peppler in his web
page.

 Both Perl and DBI are working find  because we have been using them to connect
to other databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle).

Our Perl applications and the Sybase server are in two different Linux boxes.
Could this be the problem?

Any idea what went wrong?  What else can we try to get this to work?   What
caused the "segmentation faults".   Segmentation fault is a common error in C
programs, but I haven't seen it in Perl.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

-Stearns.

Tue, 26 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBD::Sybase problem -- Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Quote:

> When installing DBD::Sybase,  'perl Makefile.PL' and "make"  went smoothly, but
> ALL 'make test' failed with 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)'.   We know we
> were in trouble but went ahead with 'make install' anyway to see what happened.
>  The module seemed to be installed successfully but could not be used at all.
> We downloaded DBD::Sybase 0.22 from CPAN directly.  We checked and checked
> again to make sure that the  SYBASE env variable pointed to the sybase
> installation (/opt/sybase in my case) and LANG and LC_ALL were set correctly.
> We also modified the  locales.dat file as advised by Michael Peppler in his web
> page.

At this point I'd need a stack trace from the core dump, and an environment dump.

Please send this directly to me.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler         -||-  Data Migrations Inc.

Int. Sybase User Group  -||-  http://www.isug.com

Tue, 26 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. perl5a5: Segmentation fault (core dumped)

2. BUG RPT; Perl5.001e, Segmentation fault (core dumped)

3. Segmentation fault (core dumped)

4. UNIX core dumps - Segmentation Fault

5. URI gives a segmentation fault (core dumped)

6. Net::FTP segmentation faults and core dumps.

7. Segmentation fault (core dumped)

8. Segmentation fault (core dumped)

9. DBD::Sybase core dump...

10. Problem : memory fault (core dump)

11. Perl dies with segmentation fault and leaves a core

12. Segmentation violation (core dump)