building modules fail when using xsubpp - help
Author Message
 building modules fail when using xsubpp - help

The following happens with both main win32 perl ports.

I get errors whenever I try to build and install a module that requires
xsubpp.  Errors such as "too many arguments" or incorrect usage.
Modules that do not require 'C' code to be generated appear to install
fine.  These errors occur whether I use the CPAN module or build the
module directly with

perl makefile.pl
nmake test
nmake install

in a dos shell.  Is there something special I need to do to install
modules that require C.
thanks,
glenn

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 building modules fail when using xsubpp - help

Quote:

> The following happens with both main win32 perl ports.
> I get errors whenever I try to build and install a module that requires
> xsubpp.  Errors such as "too many arguments" or incorrect usage.
> Modules that do not require 'C' code to be generated appear to install
> fine.  These errors occur whether I use the CPAN module or build the
> module directly with
> perl makefile.pl
> nmake test
> nmake install
> in a dos shell.  Is there something special I need to do to install
> modules that require C.
> thanks,
> glenn

Sounds like you are running under Windows 95, do you?

The DOS box of Win95 isn't good enough for Perl, you need NT's cmd.com
or 4dos, 4win.

HTH.

Yours,
--

    Free Perl and C Software for Download: www.engelschall.com/u/sb/download/

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 building modules fail when using xsubpp - help

Quote:

>The following happens with both main win32 perl ports.

>I get errors whenever I try to build and install a module that requires
>xsubpp.  Errors such as "too many arguments" or incorrect usage.
>Modules that do not require 'C' code to be generated appear to install
>fine.  These errors occur whether I use the CPAN module or build the
>module directly with

>perl makefile.pl
>nmake test
>nmake install

>in a dos shell.  Is there something special I need to do to install
>modules that require C.

Hi,
   I bet this occurs in a make command that contains
        some_command > some_file && some_other_command
The dos shell doesn't understand this combination - what you can do is
manually give the commands on either side of the &&, then proceed with
the build. If you want to fix this permanently, look for a file
MM_Unix.pm, and edit the two subs xs_c and xs_o by splitting the
stuff before and after the && into two separate commands.

--
                Best regards,
                Randy Kobes

Physics Department              Phone:     (204) 786-9399
University of Winnipeg          Fax:       (204) 774-4134

Canada                          http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 building modules fail when using xsubpp - help

Quote:

> The DOS box of Win95 isn't good enough for Perl, you need NT's cmd.com
> or 4dos, 4win.

Is this true?  It isn't true of most perl modules that don't require C.
And for those that do require C, my understanding was that what is
required is VC++ or Borland C++, not a specific shell.  I'm sure that
cmd.com, 4dos, 4win, (or cygwin bash) are better, but to say they are
required is an overstatement AFAIK. Please correct me if I am wrong.

- Jeff

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 building modules fail when using xsubpp - help
If the make file is in Unix format, as Randy suggests, you need to convert
it to (d|n)?make format. Consider downloading patchMake.pl from my web site,
which does just that. I can send you a list of modules it's been tested on,
but _that_ shouldn't be necessary.

And, yes Jeff, I think you are wrong.

--
Ron Savage

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~rpsavage

Quote:

>>The following happens with both main win32 perl ports.

>>I get errors whenever I try to build and install a module that requires
>>xsubpp.  Errors such as "too many arguments" or incorrect usage.
>>Modules that do not require 'C' code to be generated appear to install
>>fine.  These errors occur whether I use the CPAN module or build the
>>module directly with

>>perl makefile.pl
>>nmake test
>>nmake install

>>in a dos shell.  Is there something special I need to do to install
>>modules that require C.

>Hi,
>   I bet this occurs in a make command that contains
> some_command > some_file && some_other_command
>The dos shell doesn't understand this combination - what you can do is
>manually give the commands on either side of the &&, then proceed with
>the build. If you want to fix this permanently, look for a file
>MM_Unix.pm, and edit the two subs xs_c and xs_o by splitting the
>stuff before and after the && into two separate commands.

>--
> Best regards,
> Randy Kobes

>Physics Department Phone:    (204) 786-9399
>University of Winnipeg Fax:    (204) 774-4134

>Canada http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. PDL::Graphics::OpenGL build failed using cpan

2. Where is xsubpp for win32? - ActiveState build 315

3. Build of module DEVEL::SYMDUMP fails

4. Help: Perl 5.003 build on Solaris 2.5.1 failing test

5. Win95 - Building Perl Modules using Microsoft VC++ Compiler

6. Building CPAN modules using Cygwin

7. compile modules on win32 (xsubpp broke)

8. HELP ODBC sql stmt failing when using WHERE LIKE

9. Help NMAKE fail for Net-SNMP module

10. Need Help in building Crypt::* modules

11. Help building a module.

12. HELP: Perl module building questions