Help for OODBs and Perl vs Java or C++
Author Message
 Help for OODBs and Perl vs Java or C++

    Can anyone offer advice to a scientist/biologist on OODBs and Perl?

    The quandary: I need to create millions of persistent, complex Perl
data structures to handle data from the human genome project. I am
considering using using the CPAN ObjStore driver for ObjectStore
(commercial OODB from www.odi.com). Only a few 1000s of these objects
may be needed in RAM for specific calculations at one time. But the
ability to transparently access any known gene's marked-up data, while
regularly adding new marked-up information to any existing gene/record
as new knowledge becomes available from experimental research, would be
invaluable to my work. (I would  like to stay with Perl, the {*filter*}
language in bioinformatics, rather than retreat to C++ or Java, which
are officially supported by ObjectStore. As an aside, I also hope to
provide human-readable accessibility to the OODB's data through XML and
my Apache web-server.)

    The question: Does anyone have experience or recommendations on the
stability, scalability, usability, or performance-tractability of  the
current versions of ObjectStore and Perl::ObjStore.pm for this class of
project?

Thank You,
    Bobby Otillar
    UC San Francisco Biophysics Group.

FYI: I run on  WinNT, RedHat Linux, and SGI IRIX. Perl is my preferred
language.

Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl vs. Java or C++

2. Perl Newbie: can perl be called from java, c++, vb

3. Java vs Perl vs C/C++ on I/O bound process?

4. C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl comparison

5. C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl comparison

6. Perl, Java, Tcl/Tk, C/C++

7. US jobs/JAVA, C++, Perl

8. PROPOSAL: XML based Make for C++, Perl, Python, Java

9. Java(C++(Perl))

10. Perl, Tcl/Tk, Java, C/C++

11. closures in Perl vs. function objects in C++

12. Need ammunition for Perl vs. C/C++