Using LWP, HTTP::Cookies etc in multi-threading on Windows 2000
Author Message
 Using LWP, HTTP::Cookies etc in multi-threading on Windows 2000

Hi

<<<This message has also been posted to comp.lang.per.moderated and
comp.lang.perl.misc>>>

I am planning to use LWP and related packages in a multi-threaded Perl
application. The book "Network Programming With Perl" by Stein reiterates
the warnings, in the chapter on multi-threading, that 'multithreading should
not be used in production systems'.

I have three questions:
    1) Is LWP, HTTP:Cookies and related packages thread-safe?

    2) The warnings appear to be associated more with version 5.005 than
5.6. Stein mentions that things are much better in 5.6 but defers to version
6 (promised by summer of 2001, according to Stein) as the consummate Perl
with threading support. I am wondering if people have relevant experience of
using LWP etal in a multi-threading application?

    3) Assuming that the answers to the first two questions are positive, is
Active Perl the correct version to use for Windows 2000? (the deployment
platform). Is their Multi-threading version stable?

-TIA
David

Wed, 10 Sep 2003 05:57:42 GMT
 Using LWP, HTTP::Cookies etc in multi-threading on Windows 2000

Quote:
>I am planning to use LWP and related packages in a multi-threaded Perl
>application.

Why? No, really. Why are you looking at multi-threading? Is there a specific
reason, or just 'cause it sounds cool? (Which it does) Is it a performance
thing? And if so, do you have working software that is currently too slow?

Quote:
>    1) Is LWP, HTTP:Cookies and related packages thread-safe?

Dunno, but I'd doubt that any specific support has been incorporated since the
docs don't mention threads.

Quote:
>    2) ...I am wondering if people have relevant experience of
>using LWP etal in a multi-threading application?

I've used LWP::Parallel::UserAgent. It isn't really parallel, but rather
asyncronis. After some extensive benchmarking, it's the least of the evils
over other methods of fetching multiple pages at simular times. Better would
probably require multiple network interfaces.

Quote:
>    3) Assuming that the answers to the first two questions are positive, is
>Active Perl the correct version to use for Windows 2000?

Heh, I couldn't tell you. I only use MS Windows for my video games, like this
news reader program that I'm writing this reply in. ALL of my real work is
done on *NIX. You know, you can get one for free? The call it GNU Linux. ;-)

Quote:
> Is their Multi-threading version stable?

In relation to what?

Rodney

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:13:16 GMT

1. Using LWP, HTTP::Cookies etc in multi-threading in Windows 2000

2. Multi-threading LWP, HTTP:Cookies, etc.

3. Using HTTP::Cookies::Netscape with LWP::Parallel::UserAgent

4. LWP::UserAgent using HTTP::Cookies

5. LWP::UserAgent with HTTP::Cookies not keeping cookies ???

6. LWP HTTP::Request and HTTP::Cookies

7. LWP: Cookie header in HTTP::Request?

8. LWP::UserAgent and HTTP::Cookies

9. Cookies from HTTP and LWP

10. LWP HTTP Cookie - help with Ebay

11. LWP and HTTP Cookies

12. multi-threaded shared library -> single threaded perl