GD.pm won't compile 
Author Message
 GD.pm won't compile

ON a newly intalled Redhat 6.0 box with Perl5.005_03,   CD-1.21 GD.pm will
not compile.

When I run a make on it, I get a series of warnings "assignment makes
pointer from Integer without a cast"  This happens about 4 times and
then "[GD.o]Error 1"

Then is the end of it.

There also is a bug with the Perl, itself.

I consistently fail one "make test" : "lib/anydbm FAILED at test 12"

I have reliably been informed that the RedHat rpm has serious problems,
so using it is not an option.

This happens when I use all the defaults in the perl Configure.  I have
also attempted specifically to state that gcc rather than cc is the
compiler, but this makes no difference.

How can I compile GD.pm under these circumstances.  There is no problem
with Perl other than the failed test described above.  Are there any
precompiled Perl binaries with GD.pm included?  What is wrong with my
compiler (the typical RedHat 6.0 gcc compiler)  What is going on?

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
--
Regards,

Duncan C. Kinder



Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 GD.pm won't compile
I would very much like to be unable to reproduce my error also.  That would
constitute progress.

In response to the query "rpm  -q zlib" I get "zlib-1.1.3-5"
                                           "rpm -q libpng" I get
"libpng-1.0.3-2"
                                           "rpm -q gd" I get "gd-1.3-5"

You'll have to forgive me for not going into this before.  I failed to
notice the documentation concerning them. (Which I still can't locate.)

Apparently, gd-1.6-3 is necessary. It would be helpful if there were some
documentation or some constructive, useful information about this.

--
Regards,

Duncan C. Kinder


Quote:

> > ON a newly intalled Redhat 6.0 box with Perl5.005_03,   CD-1.21 GD.pm
will
> > not compile.

> > When I run a make on it, I get a series of warnings "assignment makes
> > pointer from Integer without a cast"  This happens about 4 times and
> > then "[GD.o]Error 1"

> > Then is the end of it.

> > There also is a bug with the Perl, itself.

> > I consistently fail one "make test" : "lib/anydbm FAILED at test 12"

> > I have reliably been informed that the RedHat rpm has serious problems,
> > so using it is not an option.

> > This happens when I use all the defaults in the perl Configure.  I have
> > also attempted specifically to state that gcc rather than cc is the
> > compiler, but this makes no difference.

> > How can I compile GD.pm under these circumstances.  There is no problem
> > with Perl other than the failed test described above.  Are there any
> > precompiled Perl binaries with GD.pm included?  What is wrong with my
> > compiler (the typical RedHat 6.0 gcc compiler)  What is going on?

> Using a Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig), which came pre-installed on
> a VALinux 6.02 workstation, I was completely unable to reproduce your
> error.

> zlib-1.1.3 compiled and installed without incident.
> libpng-1.0.3 compiled and installed without incident.
> gd-1.6.3 auto-configured ok, but compilation failed due to a missing
>   freetype.h file.  Apparently, libttf comes already installed, but
>   without its header files (?!).  The Makefile was manually modified
>   to remove the definition for HAVE_LIBTTF, but then gd-1.6.3 compiled
>   and installed without error.

> So, with the above packages in place, GD-1.21 was ready to be installed.
> "make distclean", "perl Makefile.PL" then "make install" -- all without
error.

> I don't get it.

> Is a VALinux 6.02 release really all that different than vanilla Red Hat
6.0?

> > # which cc
> > /usr/bin/cc
> > # cc -v
> > Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
> > gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

> If you rebuild Perl between attempts to get GD-1.21 installed, be sure
> to "make distclean" before attempting the GD build again.

> --
> Bill Maloy (brm4)



Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 GD.pm won't compile
Apparently the wrong gd is the culprit.

Yes, you do need to edit the makefile as described.  (And this is hardly the
sort of situation that should exist.)

--
Regards,

Duncan C. Kinder


Quote:

> > ON a newly intalled Redhat 6.0 box with Perl5.005_03,   CD-1.21 GD.pm
will
> > not compile.

> > When I run a make on it, I get a series of warnings "assignment makes
> > pointer from Integer without a cast"  This happens about 4 times and
> > then "[GD.o]Error 1"

> > Then is the end of it.

> > There also is a bug with the Perl, itself.

> > I consistently fail one "make test" : "lib/anydbm FAILED at test 12"

> > I have reliably been informed that the RedHat rpm has serious problems,
> > so using it is not an option.

> > This happens when I use all the defaults in the perl Configure.  I have
> > also attempted specifically to state that gcc rather than cc is the
> > compiler, but this makes no difference.

> > How can I compile GD.pm under these circumstances.  There is no problem
> > with Perl other than the failed test described above.  Are there any
> > precompiled Perl binaries with GD.pm included?  What is wrong with my
> > compiler (the typical RedHat 6.0 gcc compiler)  What is going on?

> Using a Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig), which came pre-installed on
> a VALinux 6.02 workstation, I was completely unable to reproduce your
> error.

> zlib-1.1.3 compiled and installed without incident.
> libpng-1.0.3 compiled and installed without incident.
> gd-1.6.3 auto-configured ok, but compilation failed due to a missing
>   freetype.h file.  Apparently, libttf comes already installed, but
>   without its header files (?!).  The Makefile was manually modified
>   to remove the definition for HAVE_LIBTTF, but then gd-1.6.3 compiled
>   and installed without error.

> So, with the above packages in place, GD-1.21 was ready to be installed.
> "make distclean", "perl Makefile.PL" then "make install" -- all without
error.

> I don't get it.

> Is a VALinux 6.02 release really all that different than vanilla Red Hat
6.0?

> > # which cc
> > /usr/bin/cc
> > # cc -v
> > Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
> > gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

> If you rebuild Perl between attempts to get GD-1.21 installed, be sure
> to "make distclean" before attempting the GD build again.

> --
> Bill Maloy (brm4)



Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 GD.pm won't compile

Quote:

> ON a newly intalled Redhat 6.0 box with Perl5.005_03,   CD-1.21 GD.pm will
> not compile.
> When I run a make on it, I get a series of warnings "assignment makes
> pointer from Integer without a cast"  This happens about 4 times and
> then "[GD.o]Error 1"
> Then is the end of it.
> There also is a bug with the Perl, itself.
> I consistently fail one "make test" : "lib/anydbm FAILED at test 12"
> I have reliably been informed that the RedHat rpm has serious problems,
> so using it is not an option.
> This happens when I use all the defaults in the perl Configure.  I have
> also attempted specifically to state that gcc rather than cc is the
> compiler, but this makes no difference.
> How can I compile GD.pm under these circumstances.  There is no problem
> with Perl other than the failed test described above.  Are there any
> precompiled Perl binaries with GD.pm included?  What is wrong with my
> compiler (the typical RedHat 6.0 gcc compiler)  What is going on?

Using a Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig), which came pre-installed on
a VALinux 6.02 workstation, I was completely unable to reproduce your
error.

zlib-1.1.3 compiled and installed without incident.
libpng-1.0.3 compiled and installed without incident.
gd-1.6.3 auto-configured ok, but compilation failed due to a missing
  freetype.h file.  Apparently, libttf comes already installed, but
  without its header files (?!).  The Makefile was manually modified
  to remove the definition for HAVE_LIBTTF, but then gd-1.6.3 compiled
  and installed without error.

So, with the above packages in place, GD-1.21 was ready to be installed.
"make distclean", "perl Makefile.PL" then "make install" -- all without error.

I don't get it.

Is a VALinux 6.02 release really all that different than vanilla Red Hat 6.0?

Quote:
> # which cc
> /usr/bin/cc
> # cc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
> gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

If you rebuild Perl between attempts to get GD-1.21 installed, be sure
to "make distclean" before attempting the GD build again.

--
Bill Maloy (brm4)



Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 GD.pm won't compile

Quote:

> I would very much like to be unable to reproduce my error also.  That would
> constitute progress.
> In response to the query "rpm  -q zlib" I get "zlib-1.1.3-5"
>                                            "rpm -q libpng" I get
> "libpng-1.0.3-2"
>                                            "rpm -q gd" I get "gd-1.3-5"
> You'll have to forgive me for not going into this before.  I failed to
> notice the documentation concerning them. (Which I still can't locate.)
> Apparently, gd-1.6-3 is necessary. It would be helpful if there were some
> documentation or some constructive, useful information about this.

Well, I'm not sure how much more explicit the author could have been.
From the README file for GD-1.21:

| INSTALLATION:
|
| 1.  Make sure you have downloaded and installed the following packages:
|
|         a. Perl 5.004 or higher:
|                 http://www.perl.com/
|
|         b. The gd graphics library, version 1.6.3 or higher:
|                 http://www.boutell.com/gd/
|
|         c. The PNG graphics library:
|                 http://www.cdrom.com/pub/png/
|
|         d. The zlib compression library:
|                 http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/
|
|         e. The FreeType font rendering library for TrueType fonts
|         (optional):
|                 http://www.freetype.org/
|

--
Bill Maloy (brm4)



Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 GD.pm won't compile

Quote:

> Apparently the wrong gd is the culprit.
> Yes, you do need to edit the makefile as described.  (And this is hardly the
> sort of situation that should exist.)

Perhaps the GD configure script could be made to check for the existence of
the library file *as well as* the required header files before assuming
"HAVE_LIBTTF".

I believe providing feedback of this sort to the Author is our
responsibility as members of the Open Source community.  Maybe
Mr. Stein has his ears on.  Also, being able to query the libgd
version via a subroutine call could prove useful, as well.  Maybe
Mr. Boutell would consider adding something like

void gdGetVersion(int *major, int *minor, int *release) {
  *major = 1;
  *minor = 6;
  *release = 3;

Quote:
}

so that a more user-friendly GD.pm (etc.) autoconfig script could
become possible.

--
Bill Maloy (brm4)



Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Module GD.pm won't compile on Solaris 2.7

2. Answer: Wais.pm 2.109: DynaLoader.pm won't let go of Wais.pm

3. Wais.pm 2.109: DynaLoader.pm won't let go of Wais.pm 2.105

4. GD.pm make error message on Win NT

5. Has somebody already install GD.pm on win NT4

6. Using GD and graph.pm under WIN NT4 and Activestate Perl 5.02

7. GD Problem (Won't "make")

8. GD library won't "bootstrap"!

9. GD-lib won't build on Linux?

10. GD Problem (Won't "make")

11. Compiling GD.pm - missing perlio.h

12. GD.pm - problems compiling - help! :)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software