Newbie Q: perl & NT print command
Author Message
 Newbie Q: perl & NT print command

Pls. forgive a query from an outsider...

We're a small college trying to implement an administrative software solution
from SCT Banner.  Key elements - NT platform, Oracle database.  Printing is
accomplished via a perl module calling the NT print command (e.g., print
/d:{device} {file}).

The problem is that the script will not print a file unless an operator has
manually run the print command from the command line in the preceeding 10
minutes.  There is something timing out or failing to keep alive, but we
haven't a clue as to what.

We have found no one in the Banner community who is able to assist and we're
going a bit bonkers over this.  Any directions or pointers or other useful
info will be immensely appreciated.

Thanks.

George

George W. Brooks
CTO
Sierra Nevada College
Incline Village, NV

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,000+ groups

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 06:32:27 GMT
 Newbie Q: perl & NT print command
couple of ideas:

 -- see if you can find a third party "print" utility --
either see how it works around the printing difficulty, and
do it that way?

 -- See if you can find an SMB module -- I know on Unix you can print to
windows NT servers by calling smbclient.

 -- I know way back in the MS-DOS days you could print by opening the PRN
device -- maybe if you can figure out how to direct the PRN device to one
of your print queues, you can print by using the legacy printer support.

Quote:

--

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:07:44 GMT

1. TELNET: how to print errmsg & the command

2. Newbie: 2 More Substitution Regex Qs

3. Newbie question - system command & arrays

4. Newbie - What modules reqd for basic NT commands

5. Newbie - NT & DLL routine

6. Newbie Qu:- NT & Process Ids

7. print command and system command

8. printing quotes with print command

9. ?? How to print to 2 files with one print command

10. : System() command on NT and Start Command

11. Perl 4a12e Solaris 2.3 build Qs

12. 2 Perl Style Qs