compiling Digest::MD5 under Win32
Author Message
 compiling Digest::MD5 under Win32

Hi -

I'm using ActiveState Perl v5.6.0 under Winnt 4.0. I also have
Borland C++ 5.5 for Win32 (the freely available version) installed on my
laptop.

The first problem I encountered was after "perl Makefile.PL". An error
says that "Incorrect command line option: -release". Fine, I took off the
option and that seems to take care of the error.

Then it's time to "make"..... well, here's what I get:

"Fatal makefile 814: No terminator specified for in-line file operator"

The total line number is only 813....

Of course, I modified /perl/lib/config.pm so that it reflects the correct
compiler: "bcc32" instead of "cl".

I know there must be something I missed. Anyone care to shed some light on
this?  Thanks!!

                -francis

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 compiling Digest::MD5 under Win32

: Hi -

: I'm using ActiveState Perl v5.6.0 under Winnt 4.0. I also have
: Borland C++ 5.5 for Win32 (the freely available version) installed on my
: laptop.

: The first problem I encountered was after "perl Makefile.PL". An error
: says that "Incorrect command line option: -release". Fine, I took off the
: option and that seems to take care of the error.

: Then it's time to "make"..... well, here's what I get:

: "Fatal makefile 814: No terminator specified for in-line file operator"

: The total line number is only 813....

The borland make must be looking for a "terminator...for in-line file
operator".

It tries to read line 814 (which doesn't exist) and determines that the
file doesn't have such a terminator.

I have no other specific advice however.  I think you will need to read
the microsoft documentation to determine what all the options are for that
are included in the make file (cc options, make options/syntax etc.) and
then find the equivalent borland options/syntax.  The borland and
microsoft makes and ccs were always quite dissimilar in the past (when I
used them enough to know).

Where did you get a freely available Borland C++ 5.5?  I have and
occasionally still use Borland 4.5 and would be happy to upgrade if it was
free.

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 compiling Digest::MD5 under Win32

Quote:
> I'm using ActiveState Perl v5.6.0 under Winnt 4.0. I also have
> Borland C++ 5.5 for Win32 (the freely available version) installed on my
> laptop.
> The first problem I encountered was after "perl Makefile.PL". An error
> says that "Incorrect command line option: -release". Fine, I took off the
> option and that seems to take care of the error.
> Then it's time to "make"..... well, here's what I get:
> "Fatal makefile 814: No terminator specified for in-line file operator"
> The total line number is only 813....
> Of course, I modified /perl/lib/config.pm so that it reflects the correct
> compiler: "bcc32" instead of "cl".
> I know there must be something I missed. Anyone care to shed some light on
> this?  Thanks!!

In /perl/lib/config.pm, there's also a line specifying
   make=.....
Did you change that to reflect the name of your make program?
By default ActiveState uses nmake, which may be causing
your problems. You might also have to change the paths to the
libs and includes in Config.pm for Borland's setup, if you're
compiling modules that need it.

Were you aware that ActiveState has a binary distribution
of Digest::MD5, available through their ppm utility?

Also, this may have changed since I last read about it, but if
you're using ActiveState's perl (which was compiled with VC++
and Microsoft's nmake), there may be compatability issues with
using a different compiler other than VC++ for XS modules.

best regards,
randy kobes

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 compiling Digest::MD5 under Win32
If you're using ActiveState's Perl, why are you trying to compile any module?
ActiveState provides this module, for 5.6, already compiled....
Quote:

> Hi -

> I'm using ActiveState Perl v5.6.0 under Winnt 4.0. I also have
> Borland C++ 5.5 for Win32 (the freely available version) installed on my
> laptop.

> The first problem I encountered was after "perl Makefile.PL". An error
> says that "Incorrect command line option: -release". Fine, I took off the
> option and that seems to take care of the error.

> Then it's time to "make"..... well, here's what I get:

> "Fatal makefile 814: No terminator specified for in-line file operator"

> The total line number is only 813....

> Of course, I modified /perl/lib/config.pm so that it reflects the correct
> compiler: "bcc32" instead of "cl".

> I know there must be something I missed. Anyone care to shed some light on
> this?  Thanks!!

>                 -francis

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win32 .htpasswd MD5 vs. Perl Digest::MD5 encryption

2. Digest::md5 (or MD5)

3. Digest::MD5 vs MD5

4. Digest::MD5 object version 2.20 does not match bootstrap parameter

5. Problems with Net::DNS 0.19 and Digest::MD5 2.12

6. md5 message digest in perl?

7. Newbie question: recurse all folders and create md5 digest for each file

8. Using Digest::MD5::md5_hex() from C++ ?

9. Digest::MD5::md5_hex

10. Problems installing Digest::MD5 modue...

11. Digest::MD5 object version 2.20 does not match bootstrap parameter

12. Digest::MD5 dependence by libwww not clean.