Why is PAUSE so slow?
Author Message
 Why is PAUSE so slow?

I recently wrote my first CPAN module (Text::Format) and went to
upload it to PAUSE.

I found the process to be a lot more complicated than it should have
to be. A few complaints I have:

- When I upload the module to PAUSE, it takes about an hour for it to
show up on the CPAN master site. It would be nice if it would show up
immediately in a public URL so that I can post the URL to a mailing
list/message board to tell people about my new module.

- The FTP sequence seems unnecessarily tedious. Why do I have to login
as anonymous, upload the file, then select it on the PAUSE webpage? It
would make more sense if I can login with my CPAN ID on the FTP
server, upload the file, and then have it automatically added to the
database.

- Deletion is tedious - I accidentally set $VERSION to 0.1 instead of
0.01 in my script. As a result, my next version 0.02 was not
considered the most recent version. Now, in order to make my version
0.02 considered the most recent, I need to (1) delete the version 0.01
files, and (2) force reindexing. Since #1 is not instantaneous, that
means I have to remember to perform #2 after #1 takes effect!

I like to contribute back to the Perl community by sharing my code,
but it would be nice if it was easier to do that.

Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:51:02 GMT
 Why is PAUSE so slow?

Quote:

> I recently wrote my first CPAN module (Text::Format) and went to
> upload it to PAUSE.

> I found the process to be a lot more complicated than it should have
> to be. A few complaints I have:
[...]

> - The FTP sequence seems unnecessarily tedious. Why do I have to login
> as anonymous, upload the file, then select it on the PAUSE webpage? It
> would make more sense if I can login with my CPAN ID on the FTP
> server, upload the file, and then have it automatically added to the
> database.

Look at the cpan-upload script, available from CPAN.

[...]

Regards,
        Slaven

--

Visualize Makefiles with GraphViz:
        http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~eserte/src/perl/GraphViz-Makefile/

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 03:05:46 GMT

1. Why does this still pause?

2. perldoc vs man why so much slower

3. Why is DBI/DBD::Oracle so slow?

4. Why does using index() outside loop slow down loop

5. Win32::Perms, Why is it running sooooo slow!!?

6. why activePerl is slower than MKS perl???

7. Why are pattern alternatives slower than logical alternatives?

8. Why is this expression so slow??

9. Why is this so slow?

10. perl4 regex help - why so slow?

11. OLE and ActiveState, Why so slow?