first cpan mod installation (problem)
Author Message
 first cpan mod installation (problem)

I wanted to install the new CPAN 1.70.
So i ran cpan for the first time, ran thru the config process for the old
one.
Then tried an update:
cpan> install CPAN

Running install for module CPAN
Running make for A/AN/ANDK/CPAN-1.70.tar.gz

  CPAN: MD5 security checks disabled because MD5 not installed.
  Please consider installing the MD5 module.

gzip: cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AN/ANDK/CPAN-1.70.tar.gz: No such file or
directory
gzip: cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AN/ANDK/CPAN-1.70.tar.gz: No such file or
directory

I checked the path, it does exist.
The file is located in that directory.
So I dont know why I am getting the above error.

thanx,
Shak.

Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:08:42 GMT
 first cpan mod installation (problem)
Also sprach Issa Datoo:

Quote:
> I wanted to install the new CPAN 1.70.
> So i ran cpan for the first time, ran thru the config process for the old
> one.
> Then tried an update:
> cpan> install CPAN

> Running install for module CPAN
> Running make for A/AN/ANDK/CPAN-1.70.tar.gz

>   CPAN: MD5 security checks disabled because MD5 not installed.
>   Please consider installing the MD5 module.

> gzip: cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AN/ANDK/CPAN-1.70.tar.gz: No such file or
> directory
> gzip: cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AN/ANDK/CPAN-1.70.tar.gz: No such file or
> directory

> I checked the path, it does exist.

It looks as though you gave CPAN.pm relative paths. Look for the
CPAN/Config.pm file somewhere on your disk and check the build_dir and
cpan_home keys. For me they look like

    'cpan_home' => q[/root/.cpan],
    'cpan_home' => q[/root/.cpan],

If they are relative for you, change them to an absolute value and try
again. You can do the above also interactively. When in the CPAN-shell,
do

    cpan> o conf cpan_home

and you get the current value.

    cpan> o conf cpan_home /new/path

sets a new value. Finally submit the changes to disk with

    cpan> o conf commit

Tassilo
--
{

Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:37:16 GMT
 first cpan mod installation (problem)
Finally, the absolute paths helped me out.
I updated the CPAN and installed MD5.
The next thing I tried was installing Tk, and i got the following message:
I decided to use absolute paths instead of relative paths and the
installation started working.
I install the new CPAN and MD5.
But when I tried installing Tk, the following came up:
  CPAN.pm: Going to build N/NI/NI-S/Tk-800.024.tar.gz

/usr/bin/perl is installed in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux okay
PPM for perl5.006001
Test Compiling config/signedchar.c
Test Compiling config/Ksprintf.c
Test Compiling config/tod.c
Test Compiling -DTIMEOFDAY_TZ config/tod.c
TZ gettimeofday()
Using -L/usr/X11R6/lib to find /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
Cannot find X include files via /usr/X11R6/include
Cannot find X include files anywhere at ./myConfig line 312.
Compilation failed in require at Makefile.PL line 17.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 19.
Running make test
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
Running make install
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

I dont know how to correct this problem.

Wed, 02 Nov 2005 07:39:03 GMT
 first cpan mod installation (problem)
I believe you do not have X installed in you machine.

try to see whether you can find any of the X files, such as libX11.so

Quote:
> Finally, the absolute paths helped me out.
> I updated the CPAN and installed MD5.
> The next thing I tried was installing Tk, and i got the following message:
> I decided to use absolute paths instead of relative paths and the
> installation started working.
> I install the new CPAN and MD5.
> But when I tried installing Tk, the following came up:
>   CPAN.pm: Going to build N/NI/NI-S/Tk-800.024.tar.gz

> /usr/bin/perl is installed in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux okay
> PPM for perl5.006001
> Test Compiling config/signedchar.c
> Test Compiling config/Ksprintf.c
> Test Compiling config/tod.c
> Test Compiling -DTIMEOFDAY_TZ config/tod.c
> TZ gettimeofday()
> Using -L/usr/X11R6/lib to find /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
> Cannot find X include files via /usr/X11R6/include
> Cannot find X include files anywhere at ./myConfig line 312.
> Compilation failed in require at Makefile.PL line 17.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 19.
> Running make test
>   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
> Running make install
>   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

> I dont know how to correct this problem.

Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:42:13 GMT
 first cpan mod installation (problem)
Using -L/usr/X11R6/lib to find /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2.
Yes, all of those files are there.

Cannot find X include files via /usr/X11R6/include
Cannot find X include files anywhere at ./myConfig line 312.

However, I didnt see anything in the include dir.
I am not sure what to do about this?

Quote:
> I believe you do not have X installed in you machine.

> try to see whether you can find any of the X files, such as libX11.so

> > Finally, the absolute paths helped me out.
> > I updated the CPAN and installed MD5.
> > The next thing I tried was installing Tk, and i got the following
message:
> > I decided to use absolute paths instead of relative paths and the
> > installation started working.
> > I install the new CPAN and MD5.
> > But when I tried installing Tk, the following came up:
> >   CPAN.pm: Going to build N/NI/NI-S/Tk-800.024.tar.gz

> > /usr/bin/perl is installed in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux okay
> > PPM for perl5.006001
> > Test Compiling config/signedchar.c
> > Test Compiling config/Ksprintf.c
> > Test Compiling config/tod.c
> > Test Compiling -DTIMEOFDAY_TZ config/tod.c
> > TZ gettimeofday()
> > Using -L/usr/X11R6/lib to find /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
> > Cannot find X include files via /usr/X11R6/include
> > Cannot find X include files anywhere at ./myConfig line 312.
> > Compilation failed in require at Makefile.PL line 17.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 19.
> > Running make test
> >   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
> > Running make install
> >   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

> > I dont know how to correct this problem.

Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:58:18 GMT
 first cpan mod installation (problem)
On Fri, 16 May 2003 23:39:03 GMT,

Quote:
> /usr/bin/perl is installed in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux okay

So you have some sort of linux distribution?

Quote:
> Using -L/usr/X11R6/lib to find /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
> Cannot find X include files via /usr/X11R6/include
> Cannot find X include files anywhere at ./myConfig line 312.

Just a guess, but:
Make sure you have the XFree86 development libraries installed.  On my
system (a Redhat installation) the RPM package is called
XFree86-devel.

Quote:
> I dont know how to correct this problem.

Well, you could, first of all, provide a lot more information about
your system. This isn't really a Perl problem anymore, but, most
likely, a system issue. The more information you provide, the more
chance there is that someone sees the problem. You could also consider
posting this to comp.lang.perl.tk, since the people there might be
familiar with this.

Martien
--

Martien Verbruggen      | Think of the average person. Half of the
Trading Post Australia  | people out there are dumber.

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:57:44 GMT
 first cpan mod installation (problem)

Quote:

> On Fri, 16 May 2003 23:39:03 GMT,

> > /usr/bin/perl is installed in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux okay

> So you have some sort of linux distribution?

> > Using -L/usr/X11R6/lib to find /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
> > Cannot find X include files via /usr/X11R6/include
> > Cannot find X include files anywhere at ./myConfig line 312.

> Just a guess, but:
> Make sure you have the XFree86 development libraries installed.  On my
> system (a Redhat installation) the RPM package is called
> XFree86-devel.

> > I dont know how to correct this problem.

> Well, you could, first of all, provide a lot more information about
> your system. This isn't really a Perl problem anymore, but, most
> likely, a system issue. The more information you provide, the more
> chance there is that someone sees the problem. You could also consider
> posting this to comp.lang.perl.tk, since the people there might be
> familiar with this.

Nevertheless your diagnostics was very good :-) It's probably the
missing XFree86 development package.

Regards,
        Slaven

--

Visualize Makefiles with GraphViz:
        http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~eserte/src/perl/GraphViz-Makefile/

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 12:03:08 GMT

1. CPAN.pm or LWP causing problems with installations

2. Installation of Mod Perl

3. Can't Load Cpan Mod's!!

4. CPAN local installation

5. HTML::Stream 1.19 (first public release) available on the CPAN

6. Automating CPAN installation

7. How to force CPAN installation configuration

8. CPAN module installation (with dependencies)

9. my first CPAN-module?

10. Temp installations with CPAN.pm?

11. How to force CPAN installation configuration

12. XML::Parser installation - CPAN doesn't work