solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user
Author Message
 solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user

First.... many, many thanx to Bob Friesenhahn, Martien Verbruggen et al.
for having the patience to help me thru my personal install hell. In
exchange for all the help. I thought I would post the process I finally
used that worked. I consider my needs "typical" for a webdesigner using
perl, so there must be plenty of people would will benefit by this info.

I needed to do an install of Image::Magick to my remote ISP domain host,
but they didnt want to install it at the root level. So, I had to
install to my webspace. Many modules install easily using perl -MCPAN -e
shell in a telnet window, but Image::Magick is not one of them! You
should NOT attempt to use CPAN for this module, it will only mess you
up. Just read along and follow the steps...

You MUST install ImageMagick before you can use PerlMagick, so dont even
bother trying to install Image::Magick with CPAN. goto
http://www.*-*-*.com/  or ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/ImageMagick/ and
download the full deal. something like: ImageMagick-5_2_4_tar.gz

upload the .gz to your webspace, probably under cgi-bin. This example
uses a long path, but it is what I actually had to work with. I uploaded
to my domain at /home/normsgallery/www/admin/cgi-bin

fire up a telnet shell to your domain, and :

        $ cd /home/normsgallery/www/admin/cgi-bin
        $ gzip -d ImageMagick-5_2_4_tar.gz
        $ tar -xof ImageMagick-5_2_4_tar
        $ cd ImageMagick-5.2.4

In the configuration step, I disabled a lot of stuff I know I dont need
in this site. I will only be working with .jp and .gif and wanted a
small install so I used the shared libs, etc, etc. You can review these
settings, but the important one is the --prefix and --without-perl

        $ configure CFLAGS=-O2
--prefix=/home/normsgallery/www/admin/cgi-bin
--without-perl --disable-static --enable-shared --with-modules
--without-magick_plus_plus --without-bzlib --without-dps --without-fpx
--without-hdf --without-lcms --without-jbig --without-png --without-tiff

        $ make
        $ make test
        $ make install

        $ cd PerlMagick
        $ perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/home/normsgallery/www/admin/cgi-bin
        $ make
        $ make test
        $ make install

then you can cleanup a little:

        $ cd /home/normsgallery/www/admin/cgi-bin
        $ rm ImageMagick-5_2_4_tar

your perl scripts will now need a lines like these to work:

        use lib
"/home/normsgallery/www/admin/cgi-bin/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-lin
ux"
;
        use Image::Magick ;

thats it!
- Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:40:27 GMT
 solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 05:40:27 GMT,

Quote:

>        $ perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/home/normsgallery/www/admin/cgi-bin

I suspect it would be wiser to install somewhere other than off your cgi-bin.

PerlMagick could install some executables (I doubt it does, but as a general
principle) which aren't meant to be CGI programs and could open up some
security holes...

Since it's done now, the paranoid part of me would .htaccess (or equivalent)
off the lib/perl5 subdirectory so that the web server won't allow access.

By the way, I for one think it's good when people post as you have.. much better
than the 'solved now don't worry' posts that don't helpt he next person.

Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:42:01 GMT
 solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user

Quote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 05:40:27 GMT,

> >        $ perl Makefile.PL

PREFIX=/home/normsgallery/www/admin/cgi-bin
Quote:

> I suspect it would be wiser to install somewhere other than off your
cgi-bin.

> PerlMagick could install some executables (I doubt it does, but as a
general
> principle) which aren't meant to be CGI programs and could open up
some
> security holes...

> Since it's done now, the paranoid part of me would .htaccess (or
equivalent)
> off the lib/perl5 subdirectory so that the web server won't allow

access.
---------------

well, actually the whole mess is .htaccess protected, so I think I'm
*pretty* safe. additionally, the server doesnt let anyone list a cgi-bin
dir anyway, so it would be pretty darn hard to figure out the name,
arguements, etc to make my scripts behave badly I think. good thought
though.

Quote:

> By the way, I for one think it's good when people post as you have..
much better
> than the 'solved now don't worry' posts that don't helpt he next

person.
---------------
thanx.... I just wish I could get some straight answers on topics
sometimes. People tend to give pieces or general answers, and it takes a
ton of time to sift thru.  ah well.

Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 06 May 2003 08:18:11 GMT
 solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user
I tried to follow your guide but I keep getting the following error when
I try to configure it

configuring ImageMagick 5.2.0
checking host system type... configure: error: cannot guess host type;
you must
specify one

Can anyone shed any light on this

Cheers
Sean

Quote:

> > On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 05:40:27 GMT,

> > >        $ perl Makefile.PL
> PREFIX=/home/normsgallery/www/admin/cgi-bin

> > I suspect it would be wiser to install somewhere other than off your
> cgi-bin.

> > PerlMagick could install some executables (I doubt it does, but as a
> general
> > principle) which aren't meant to be CGI programs and could open up
> some
> > security holes...

> > Since it's done now, the paranoid part of me would .htaccess (or
> equivalent)
> > off the lib/perl5 subdirectory so that the web server won't allow
> access.
> ---------------

> well, actually the whole mess is .htaccess protected, so I think I'm
> *pretty* safe. additionally, the server doesnt let anyone list a cgi-bin
> dir anyway, so it would be pretty darn hard to figure out the name,
> arguements, etc to make my scripts behave badly I think. good thought
> though.

> > By the way, I for one think it's good when people post as you have..
> much better
> > than the 'solved now don't worry' posts that don't helpt he next
> person.
> ---------------
> thanx.... I just wish I could get some straight answers on topics
> sometimes. People tend to give pieces or general answers, and it takes a
> ton of time to sift thru.  ah well.

> Dan

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy

Tue, 06 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user

Quote:
> I tried to follow your guide but I keep getting the following error
when
> I try to configure it

> configuring ImageMagick 5.2.0
> checking host system type... configure: error: cannot guess host type;
> you must
> specify one

> Can anyone shed any light on this

ya got me... my installation was on a LINUX host machine. what are you
trying to install on?

Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 07 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user

Quote:
> I tried to follow your guide but I keep getting the following error
when
> I try to configure it

> configuring ImageMagick 5.2.0
> checking host system type... configure: error: cannot guess host type;
> you must
> specify one

> Can anyone shed any light on this

--------------

you know... I just noticed that your post indicates you are installing
verion 5.2.0.   I installed 5.2.4 , and I think there is a newer one yet
from www.imagemagick.org

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 19 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user
Also, one additional addition to my original solution is that if you
intend to use TrueType fonts in Annotate() calls, you MUST install the
FreeType libs BEFORE you install IMageMagick, or be sure to go back and
re configure, and re-make. Apparently the libs HAVE to be in place prior
to the compilation of ImageMagick.

Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 19 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user

2. still problems installing Image::Magick to non-root target

3. Web Host that supports Gimp or Image Magick...

4. Web Host that supports GIMP or Image Magick...

5. Image Magick finding image size without loading image

6. non-root installing modules?

7. installing modules to a non-root dir on webserver

8. problems with activePerl ppm install to non-root?

9. Failed to install Image::Magick

10. Failure to install Image::Magick

11. Image::Magick install issue : libperl.a

12. Image::Magick install failing