RFC: Namespace for new module (tab widgets in HTML)
Author Message
 RFC: Namespace for new module (tab widgets in HTML)

Hello,

(This message is a slightly modified repost)

The best way to introduce the module is by displaying the README.
Below the README you'll find my actual questions.

======================== BEGIN README ============================

CGI::Tabs version 1.0
=====================

DESCRIPTION

CGI::Tabs lets you simulate tab widgets in HTML. You could benefit
from tabs if you want to serve only one page. Depending on the tab
selected you fetch and display the underlying data. There are two
main reasons for taking this approach:

1. For the end user not to be directed to YAL or YAP (yet another
link, / yet another page), but keep it all together: The single point
of entry paradigm.

2. For the Perl hacker to generate and display multiple data sources
within the same script environment.

The nice thing about CGI::Tabs is that the tabs now their internal
state. So you can ask a tab for instance which tab page is
highlighted. This way you get direct feedback on what the user
clicked.

EXAMPLES

       __________      __________      ____________      _______
      / Software \    / Hardware \    / Lease Cars \    / Xerox \

       __________________      _________      ___________
      / Personal Details \    / Pension \    / Insurance \

These trivial examples could be used in for instance a maintenance
application or a human resources application.

DEPENDENCIES

- CGI, CGI::Minimal or another CGI "object broker"
   with the param() method and with similar behaviour
- HTML::Entities
- URI
- A CSS style sheet for the tabs markup

INSTALLATION

To install this module type the following:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

DOWNLOAD

The latest version of CGI::Tabs is always available from the
CGI::Tabs homepage at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

COPYRIGHT AND LICENCE

Copyright (c) 2002 Koos Pol. All rights reserved.

it under the same terms as Perl itself.

CHANGES

1.0  (2002-07-06)
-----------------
First release

======================== END README ============================

CGI::Tabs. I would also appreciate _your_ input on any of the usual
relevant issues:
- the name CGI::Tabs
- it's usefullness
- documentation
- issues
- etc

CGI::Tabs (including a full demo) is downloadable from:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thanks for your time and effort.
Koos Pol

Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:18:47 GMT
 RFC: Namespace for new module (tab widgets in HTML)

Quote:
> CGI::Tabs version 1.0

I think the CGI::Widget::Tabs namespace would be the best place...

http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=all&query=CGI%3A%3AWidget

Murat

Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:52:56 GMT
 RFC: Namespace for new module (tab widgets in HTML)

Quote:

>>CGI::Tabs version 1.0

> I think the CGI::Widget::Tabs namespace would be the best place...

> http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=all&query=CGI%3A%3AWidget

> Murat

Thanks for the hint. I've looked up the doc's for CGI::Widget and will
contact the author to see if he had this in mind (that is, me
subclassing from it)

Best regards,
--
Koos Pol - Application Engineer - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:03:00 GMT
 RFC: Namespace for new module (tab widgets in HTML)
Also sprach Koos Pol:

Quote:

>> I think the CGI::Widget::Tabs namespace would be the best place...

>> http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=all&query=CGI%3A%3AWidget
> Thanks for the hint. I've looked up the doc's for CGI::Widget and will
> contact the author to see if he had this in mind (that is, me
> subclassing from it)

The author of CGI::Widget isn't also the proprietor of the whole
namespace that comes below. Simply register the namespace
CGI::Widget::Tabs and submit a release.

Tassilo
--

pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehtona{tsuJbus!;
$_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:03:47 GMT
 RFC: Namespace for new module (tab widgets in HTML)

Quote:

> Also sprach Koos Pol:

>>>I think the CGI::Widget::Tabs namespace would be the best place...

>>Thanks for the hint. I've looked up the doc's for CGI::Widget and will
>>contact the author to see if he had this in mind (that is, me
>>subclassing from it)

> The author of CGI::Widget isn't also the proprietor of the whole
> namespace that comes below. Simply register the namespace
> CGI::Widget::Tabs and submit a release.

> Tassilo

I'm aware of that. However, the CGI::Widget docs didn't reveal much of
how I could benefit from it, or what the author's (functional) goal was
for this class. So it's not a question of "permission" but more of
concept. In that respect I think it might be useful to have a chat with him.

KP
--
Koos Pol - Application Engineer - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:34:30 GMT

1. RFC: Namespace for new module (tab widgets in HTML)

2. Proposal/RFC on new module/namespace Queue::*

3. RFC new Namespace HTTP::Chinese

4. Namespace for new module (XML for Analysis)

5. New Module into CPAN - Namespace & Review question

6. Namespace inquiry for new module

7. Request for comments on namespace(s) for new modules

8. Namespaces and new modules

9. Namespace for new module (XML for Analysis)

10. new modules/namespace poll: X10

11. RFC: please comment new module proposal SPRC

12. PRE-ANNOUNCE and RFC for new module File::Vpp