The answer - how to use CPAN behind a firewall
Author Message
 The answer - how to use CPAN behind a firewall

This problem seems rather common if you see to the number of posts
about it. When you're behind a firewall you will have trouble using
CPAN as the firewall blocks the connection.
But I had a hard time finding any solutions for it, so I thought I
might post it here. It's very easy to fix it when you know how.
The trick is to configure CPAN not to have any paths to ftp, just to
wget. Then edit /etc/wget/wgetrc (or wherever your wget config file
is) and remove the comment (#) on the line 'passive ftp'. Save the
file and thats it!

/Patrik

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:17:04 GMT
 The answer - how to use CPAN behind a firewall
On 5 Apr 2003 02:17:04 -0800,

Quote:
> This problem seems rather common if you see to the number of posts
> about it. When you're behind a firewall you will have trouble using
> CPAN as the firewall blocks the connection.
> But I had a hard time finding any solutions for it, so I thought I
> might post it here. It's very easy to fix it when you know how.
> The trick is to configure CPAN not to have any paths to ftp, just to
> wget. Then edit /etc/wget/wgetrc (or wherever your wget config file
> is) and remove the comment (#) on the line 'passive ftp'. Save the
> file and thats it!

Of course, one should also read the section in CPAN's documentation
with the title "WORKING WITH CPAN.pm BEHIND FIREWALLS" for other
possible solutions.

You could consider contributing a paragraph about wget to the standard
documentation.

Martien
--

Martien Verbruggen      | If it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough
Trading Post Australia  | features yet.

Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:58:05 GMT

1. Problem using CPAN.pm from behind a firewall

2. CPAN.pm behind a firewall

3. problems with CPAN.pm behind firewall

4. CPAN useful from behind a firewall ?

5. CPAN.pm shell from behind a firewall

6. CPAN behind a firewall

7. Problem using Net::FTP behind a firewall

8. Using Net::FTP from behind a socks firewall

9. Activestate's ppm.pl works behind firewall

10. Running Perl Behind Firewall

11. Q: How to use LWP behind a Microsoft ISA-server firewall

12. Pull ng posts behind firewall