DBI user documentation?
Author Message
 DBI user documentation?

Hi,

I have Perl 5.002, DBI 1.02, and DBD:Oracle 0.54 up and running. I am
now doing some simple table creations, inserts, and queries.

I have:

   * Read the `perldoc dbi`. 2300 lines. No index. No page numbers.
     Small snippets of code. Hard to navigate with the one way, one page
     at a time NT CMD shell (there must be a better way to use this in
     NT), few examples.
   * Read the documentation which came with DBI and DBD, most of which
     has to do with building them.
   * Searched Dejanews for the keywords "DBD oracle connect execute" and
     found 5 example scripts.
   * Read the DBD-Oracle documentation on
      http://www.*-*-*.com/
   * Read the examples on
      http://www.*-*-*.com/
   * Found 2 pages of DBI information in Perl Cookbook.
   * Searched Amazon.com for "Perl DBI". Shows Camel, Ram, and Llama (?
     Learning Perl). I have the first 2. Very little help. How is the
     Llama book?

Is there an archive of working DBI/DBD (Oracle?) programs somewhere
online? Would anybody be kind enough to post some of their working
programs? Any good book recommendations appreciated. Flames always
welcome :-)

Thanks 1E6,

    Brian

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DBI user documentation?
First of all, I'd upgrade PERL to 5.005_02. You get two things by doing
this:

1) A more solid version of Perl with more goodies (see the next point).
Not that 5.002 had any showstoppers to my knowledge.

2) 5.005_02 on a NT machine will automajically build all of the its man
pages as HTML files. DBD and DBI mioght also build as HTML. If not, you
can pod2html them by hand. That solves your one-way/one-page NT problem.

--
Matthew O. Persico
Nothing even remotely clever at the moment.

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DBI user documentation?
[courtesy cc to poster]

http://eskimo.tamu.edu/~jbaker/dbi-examples.html

Quote:

> Hi,

> I have Perl 5.002, DBI 1.02, and DBD:Oracle 0.54 up and running. I am
> now doing some simple table creations, inserts, and queries.

> I have:

>    * Read the `perldoc dbi`. 2300 lines. No index. No page numbers.
>      Small snippets of code. Hard to navigate with the one way, one page
>      at a time NT CMD shell (there must be a better way to use this in
>      NT), few examples.
>    * Read the documentation which came with DBI and DBD, most of which
>      has to do with building them.
>    * Searched Dejanews for the keywords "DBD oracle connect execute" and
>      found 5 example scripts.
>    * Read the DBD-Oracle documentation on
>      http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/by-name/DBD-Oracle.html.
>    * Read the examples on
>      http://www.hermetica.com/technologia/DBI/examples/ex2.html.
>    * Found 2 pages of DBI information in Perl Cookbook.
>    * Searched Amazon.com for "Perl DBI". Shows Camel, Ram, and Llama (?
>      Learning Perl). I have the first 2. Very little help. How is the
>      Llama book?

> Is there an archive of working DBI/DBD (Oracle?) programs somewhere
> online? Would anybody be kind enough to post some of their working
> programs? Any good book recommendations appreciated. Flames always
> welcome :-)

> Thanks 1E6,

>     Brian

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl Documentation for new user

2. DBI/ DBD Oracle Documentation.

3. DBI API Documentation

4. Looking for documentation about DBI/DBD for mysql

5. Latest documentation for Oracle DBI ?

6. Perl DBI script and user: nobody

7. Real user id and effective user id

8. User to user email

9. perl/cgi create user using user nobody (webserver)

10. User Authentication and ?USER=XXX?PASS=???

11. DBI/DBI binary tarballs?

12. porting DBI sybperl to DBI oraperl