Does the CPAN module work with win32 Perl??
Author Message
 Does the CPAN module work with win32 Perl??

I installed the latest version (5.005) of the win32 activestate perl
port on a windows 98 pc.  I"m having trouble loading modules that
require C code to be compiled (eg MD5).  I would be intested in hearing
from someone who has done this successfully or a referall to some
installation notes on the web.

I was using

perl -MCPAN -e shell

should I be using the package manager?

Is there a good web page that details what modules do not work with
win32 perl?  I'm trying to decide if there is something wrong with my
installation or am I just trying to compile modules that just won't work
on a PC.
thanks,
glenn

--

Glenn Forney
Building and Fire Research Laboratory

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Does the CPAN module work with win32 Perl??
On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:09:00 -0500,

Quote:
>I installed the latest version (5.005) of the win32 activestate perl
>port on a windows 98 pc.  I"m having trouble loading modules that
>require C code to be compiled (eg MD5).  I would be intested in hearing
>from someone who has done this successfully or a referall to some
>installation notes on the web.

>I was using

>perl -MCPAN -e shell

>should I be using the package manager?

Hi,
   It's probably easiest to use the package manager, although
I've heard that activestate's web site gets bogged down occasionally.
On the other hand, once it's set up, installing modules
via the CPAN shell is very easy. What sort of problems are you
having? Can you install modules that don't need a C compiler
OK? One thing that you might check is that the libpath in your
perl's configuration file is set to point to where it is on
your system.

Quote:

>Is there a good web page that details what modules do not work with
>win32 perl?  I'm trying to decide if there is something wrong with my
>installation or am I just trying to compile modules that just won't work
>on a PC.

You might want to check out
        http://www.connect.net/gbarr/cpan-test/
which lists the results of tests on many modules on a number
of different systems.
--
                Best regards,
                Randy Kobes

Physics Department              Phone:     (204) 786-9399
University of Winnipeg          Fax:       (204) 774-4134

Canada                          http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Does the CPAN module work with win32 Perl??

Quote:

> I installed the latest version (5.005) of the win32 activestate perl
> port on a windows 98 pc.  I"m having trouble loading modules that
> require C code to be compiled (eg MD5).  I would be intested in hearing
> from someone who has done this successfully or a referall to some
> installation notes on the web.

> I was using

> perl -MCPAN -e shell

> should I be using the package manager?

Yes, if you don't have a compiler. The MD5 module is available via ppm.

--
<Matt/>

| Fastnet Software Ltd              |   Perl in Active Server Pages   |
| Perl Consultancy, Web Development |   Database Design   |    XML    |
| http://come.to/fastnet            |    Information Consolidation    |

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. on windows 7 / cygwin / perl / cpan - cannot make cpan work

2. does the CPAN shell work in win32?

3. Cpan modules under Win32

4. Compile and install CPAN modules on win32

5. building cpan modules on win32

6. getting win32 module to work in a version of perl

7. Does LWP/libwww module work with Win32 Perl?

8. ...Can I work at home doing Perl...?

9. Parallel User Agent Module Working on WIN32

10. Getting the Win32::API module to work

11. Does Net::FTP modules work under Win32 Perl5 ?

12. Fileselect module not working on WIN32 activePERL