oraperl help 
Author Message
 oraperl help

Hello,

I have few questions which I hope the (ora)perl gurus can help me
with:

I have oraperl (this is perl, version 4.0 - $RCSfile: perl.c,v
$$Revision: 4.0.1.8 $$Date: 1993/02/05 19:39:30 - Patch level: 36).
It is on a HPUX 10.20, Oracle 7.3.4.  We are in the process of moving
to a different machine which is HPUX 11.0 with Oracle8.  My questions
are:

1.  Where can I download oraperl for hpux 11.0 for Oracle 8?
2.  Can I just take the oraperl from the old machine and recompile it
to work on the new machine with oracle 8 ??
3.  Anything else that I need to do ??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
surpausa



Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:06:19 GMT  
 oraperl help
Quote:

> Hello,

> I have few questions which I hope the (ora)perl gurus can help me
> with:

> I have oraperl (this is perl, version 4.0 - $RCSfile: perl.c,v
> $$Revision: 4.0.1.8 $$Date: 1993/02/05 19:39:30 - Patch level: 36).
> It is on a HPUX 10.20, Oracle 7.3.4.  We are in the process of moving
> to a different machine which is HPUX 11.0 with Oracle8.  My questions
> are:

> 1.  Where can I download oraperl for hpux 11.0 for Oracle 8?
> 2.  Can I just take the oraperl from the old machine and recompile it
> to work on the new machine with oracle 8 ??
> 3.  Anything else that I need to do ??

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> surpausa


Oraperl is depricated.  As you move to the new server and Oracle
version, you need to look into:

1.  Moving to a more modern version of Perl (v5.6)
2.  Using DBI abd DBD::Oracle and optionally Oracle::OCI.

Oraperl still exists, but it is a wrapped around the DBI/DBD::Oracle
functions.
--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA
Reidy Consulting, L.L.C.



Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:33:20 GMT  
 oraperl help
Thanks for your post.  After a little digging, found out that there is
PERL Version 5.005_02 already installed on the new machine.

1.  I guess first I have to UNinstall 5.005 and then install v5.6?  
2.  Looking through the modules under http://www.perl.com/CPAN/ ,
    found DBI-1.20.tar.gz and DBD-Oracle-1.12.tar.gz.  Are these
appropriate
    to use?
3.  How much of code change do you think I need to go through to
migrate the
    code over to be compatible??  Any helpful hints pages??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Surpa

Quote:

> Oraperl is depricated.  As you move to the new server and Oracle
> version, you need to look into:

> 1.  Moving to a more modern version of Perl (v5.6)
> 2.  Using DBI abd DBD::Oracle and optionally Oracle::OCI.

> Oraperl still exists, but it is a wrapped around the DBI/DBD::Oracle
> functions.



Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:06:41 GMT  
 oraperl help

Quote:

> Thanks for your post.  After a little digging, found out that there is
> PERL Version 5.005_02 already installed on the new machine.

> 1.  I guess first I have to UNinstall 5.005 and then install v5.6?

You can have both perl5.6 and perl5.005 installed on the same machine;
you don't need to uninstall 5.005.

However, although it's *nice* to have the most recent perl, there
shouldn't be a *need* for it -- DBI should work on 5.005 [I think].

Quote:
> 2.  Looking through the modules under http://www.perl.com/CPAN/ ,
>     found DBI-1.20.tar.gz and DBD-Oracle-1.12.tar.gz.  Are these
>     appropriate to use?

Yes.

Quote:
> 3.  How much of code change do you think I need to go through to
>     migrate the code over to be compatible??  Any helpful hints
>     pages??

Make sure you understand what the old scripts are doing -- if you don't
understand the oraperl syntax, obviously you're going to have trouble
converting to something else.  Then, learn the interface DBI provides,
and rewrite your scripts... I can't think of anything else to suggest.

--
Klein bottle for rent - inquire within.



Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:12:07 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Oraperl, HELP!

2. Oraperl help

3. NEED ORAPERL HELP/FAQ/INFO

4. ORAPERL help

5. Oraperl help - inserting perl vars

6. Install Oraperl - help

7. General Oraperl Help

8. Oraperl help required

9. ORAPERL Help and Samples

10. Oraperl help?

11. oraperl help

12. OraPerl help please ! Also looking for KStock.

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software