DBI/DBD::Informix and retrieving BLOB data
Author Message
 DBI/DBD::Informix and retrieving BLOB data

Is there any way at all to retrieve BLOB columns using DBD::Informix?
I know the docs say this isn't supported, but I really need some way
of storing and retrieving images through perl.

I can insert BLOB columns, no problem, using FILETOBLOB
e.g.

insert into my_table (blobcol) values (FILETOBLOB('blobfile', 'client'));

however, if I do this:
select LOTOFILE(blobcol, 'file', 'client') from image my_table;

I get this:

DBD::Informix::dbd_ix_st_fetch - Unknown type code: 43 (no IUS support)
Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect.

I have come up with a workaround for this - I embed the select
statement above into an insert statement:

insert into my_table2 (filename)
        select LOTOFILE(blobcol, 'file', 'client') from image my_table;

Then I can just select the filename from my_table2 and read the blob
data from there.

The problem with this is that my_table2 can get locked if there are
lots of transactions reading in image data.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Sat, 09 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. DBD::ODBC adding blob data error to Informix Db

2. can't retrieve data from Oracle DB using DBI and DBD

3. Putting Blobs in the Database via DBD::Informix

4. Bad free() with perl, DBI, Informix and blobs

5. Retrieving BLOBs from Oracle using DBI

6. Perl DBI::DB2 inserting blob data

7. How can I insert blob data using DBI?

8. DBI - Writing blobs - blob types

9. DBI-0.93 DBD-Informix-0.58 on SCO

10. DBI and DBD::Informix - LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not work with suid perl script

11. DBD/DBI for informix on DEC 1000

12. DBD and DBI::Informix module on WinNT