Image::Magick : unable to install/compile/use it
Author Message
 Image::Magick : unable to install/compile/use it

I've downloaded Image Magick & perlMagick and, as ususal, the
"Linux style" is like, if you aren't a big one in Linux, you simply cannot
do anything !!!
I need ImageMagick only to simply create a gif picture with line on it...

What is hard to anderstand, is that, as a beginner in Linux, it's always
difficult to follow & anderstand what seems to be very easy for all
other people that knows Linux for lots of years :-(, especially when
something is wrong.
By example, I'm a very good audio broadcast developper in Builder,
if I talk about something like FFT to people that doesn't even know
how to do it, they can not anderstand ! Really not !
So please, just imagine that some people really want to be fully
Linux, and help them with easy install or easy ways to do that...

Ok, I return to Image Magick. I've downloaded
PerlMagick-5.25.tar.gz

Then, I put it at the following path:
/home/laurent/ImageMagick

doing a tar -xzf PerlMagick-5.25.tar.gz

it creates me a folder PerlMagick-5.25 in which are lots of things,
and especially a README.txt, that's what I've done (i've read it)
Inside is explained, basically, how to install and use it. Seems to
be easy.
First thing : modify Makefile.PL with the path of ImageMagick...
hum, excuse me, how to do it ? Where is it ? I'm just a beginner...

So, the command "locate ImageMagick" explained me that
it can be found at "/usr/share/ImageMagick". So in Makefile.PL,
I replaced "/pathos/home/cristy" by "/usr/share".
Then I execute :
perl Makefile.PL

Then I've lots of bad sentences explaining me that it's impossible
to find the library : -lMagick, -ljbig...

I tried to do a do a "make" but I've lots of error messages.
If I tried to directly use Magick.pm, perl explain me, via an error,

HEEELP ME PLEASE ;-)

Sun, 11 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Image::Magick : unable to install/compile/use it
What Linux distribution are you running?
I found that SuSE's YAST installer knew what to do and did it all for me.
Mind you, that was after a week of hitting all the same problems that you
are.

--

"Freedom is the by-product of economic surplus" - Aneurin Bevan

Sun, 11 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Image::Magick : unable to install/compile/use it

Quote:
> I've downloaded Image Magick & perlMagick and, as ususal,

----------
on the 17th I posted a very detailed example installation. you might
want to try a dejanews search on the word Magick.

Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 11 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Image::Magick : unable to install/compile/use it
On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:31:27 +0100,

Quote:
> I've downloaded Image Magick & perlMagick and, as ususal, the
> "Linux style" is like, if you aren't a big one in Linux, you simply cannot
> do anything !!!

ImageMagick has nothing to do with Linux, and I don't really feel it
follows any Linux style at all. It compiles on a multitude of
platforms, including Windows and Mac, and binaries are provided for
many of them. Get them from one of the download sites, mentioned on
the home page at http://www.imagemagick.org/. One of them is:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/ImageMagick/binaries/

If you're more into RPM or something like that, use one of the search
engines for those things. rpmfind.net turns up tons of RPMs for Linux,
several at release level 5.2.5

Once you have the binaries installed, installation of the module is
trivial.

Quote:
> I need ImageMagick only to simply create a gif picture with line on it...

Maybe ImageMagick is a bit overkill for that. Do you _need_ GIF, or is
PNG ok? In the latter case, get yourself the latest version of GD. If
you do need GIF, get yourself a version of GD older than 1.20.

Quote:
> Ok, I return to Image Magick. I've downloaded
> PerlMagick-5.25.tar.gz

> Then, I put it at the following path:
> /home/laurent/ImageMagick

> doing a tar -xzf PerlMagick-5.25.tar.gz

> it creates me a folder PerlMagick-5.25 in which are lots of things,
> and especially a README.txt, that's what I've done (i've read it)
> Inside is explained, basically, how to install and use it. Seems to
> be easy.
> First thing : modify Makefile.PL with the path of ImageMagick...
> hum, excuse me, how to do it ? Where is it ? I'm just a beginner...

First thing is to get ImageMagick installed :), see above.

Quote:
> So, the command "locate ImageMagick" explained me that
> it can be found at "/usr/share/ImageMagick". So in Makefile.PL,
> I replaced "/pathos/home/cristy" by "/usr/share".

I doubt very much that that version of ImageMagick matches the one
that this evrsion of PerlMagick was written for. They do need to
match.

Quote:
> Then I execute :
> perl Makefile.PL

> Then I've lots of bad sentences explaining me that it's impossible
> to find the library : -lMagick, -ljbig...

You will need to make a few more amendments. ImageMagick relies on
many external programs and libraries to do various conversions. You
will have to have those libraries installed, or compile your own
version of ImageMagick. It's a complicated package, granted.

If I were you, I would download one of those RPMs and see whether that
doesn't already contain everything you need. otherwise, subscribe to
the Imagemagick mailing list, and ask the question there.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              |
Interactive Media Division      | Failure is not an option. It comes

Sun, 11 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Image::Magick: unable to install on Solaris 2.6/Sparc

2. Image::Magick: unable to install on Solaris 2.6/Sparc

3. CGI image generation using Image::Magick

4. Image Magick finding image size without loading image

5. HOWTO: compile Image::Magick

6. Need help with Perl::Magick (Image::Magick)

7. Can't load Magick.so for module Image::Magick

8. Failed to install Image::Magick

9. Failure to install Image::Magick

10. Image::Magick install issue : libperl.a

11. Image::Magick install failing

12. solution: installing Image::Magick to host as non-root user