Perl 5.6 Activestate crashes in Windows 98
Author Message
 Perl 5.6 Activestate crashes in Windows 98

Perl 5.6 crashes when I use the CPAN module to install anything. It gives a
blue screen of death after the message "Looking good", during an install of
any module.

Any clues?

I think that there is some bug with the console implementation of Perl, but
that is just a guess.

Thanx

Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:31:55 GMT
 Perl 5.6 Activestate crashes in Windows 98

Quote:

>Perl 5.6 crashes when I use the CPAN module to install anything. It gives a
>blue screen of death after the message "Looking good", during an install of
>any module.

I've only ever gotten CPAN modules to work with ActiveState by using ppm.
Go to the command line and type ppm.  There's online help (type help).  For
instance, to install the DBI module, type "install DBI".  Eerily, it
installs the module with no intervention.  If you don't know if a module is
available you can look for it (e.g. "search DBD") and it will give related
modules.

Read the documentation (Start button, ActiveState ActivePerl, Documentation)
for more details

I've tried doing the module installation on WinMe/ActivePerl using
Makefile.pl and make, but it never seems to work out.  However, on my nice
Linux machine at home, it works like breeze.  Doesn't that surprise you?

Good luck.

--
unmunge?cold=hot

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 19:04:30 GMT
 Perl 5.6 Activestate crashes in Windows 98

Quote:

> >Perl 5.6 crashes when I use the CPAN module to install anything. It gives a
> >blue screen of death after the message "Looking good", during an install of
> >any module.

> I've only ever gotten CPAN modules to work with ActiveState by using ppm.
> Go to the command line and type ppm.  There's online help (type help).  For
> instance, to install the DBI module, type "install DBI".  Eerily, it
> installs the module with no intervention.  If you don't know if a module is
> available you can look for it (e.g. "search DBD") and it will give related
> modules.

If you're using PPM, then they're not CPAN modules...unless there was
some incredible development at ActiveState.

Quote:
> I've tried doing the module installation on WinMe/ActivePerl using
> Makefile.pl and make, but it never seems to work out.  However, on my nice
> Linux machine at home, it works like breeze.  Doesn't that surprise you?

Not a bit.  Linux' advantage over Win32 is that it actually has a decent
GPL C compiler that WORKS.  To compile any binaries for Perl on Win32,
you need (AFAIK) MSVC, whereas *nix only needs gcc.  This is probably the
main reason make won't work on your Win32 machine: there is no gcc.  The
only modules that will install via make on Win32 in my experience are
those that don't require any extensions to be compiled.  This includes
GD.pm.  Pure Perl modules such as CGI.pm or ASP.pm (distinguishable in
CPAN's module list) don't have to be compiled, just inserted into
perl's module tree.

--

Legend -- a lie that has attained the dignity of age.
        -- H. L. Mencken

Sat, 07 Jun 2003 13:20:04 GMT
 Perl 5.6 Activestate crashes in Windows 98
Finally, I did manage to install the modules using ppm. It is a pity than
CPAN doesn't work in Windows. The wierd part is that the files are
downloaded from CPAN and un-tar-balled. Perl fails when it tries to do a
"perl Makefile.pl". This happens on any bundle that I try to install. (it
freezes and causes a BSOD)

So in theory, the error isn't in CPAN; it is in ActiveState's Perl
implementation.

To Tim's observation; there is a gcc port to Win32. However I don't think
that Activestate uses that to compile Perl.

Thanks

Quote:

> > >Perl 5.6 crashes when I use the CPAN module to install anything. It
gives a
> > >blue screen of death after the message "Looking good", during an
install of
> > >any module.

> > I've only ever gotten CPAN modules to work with ActiveState by using
ppm.
> > Go to the command line and type ppm.  There's online help (type help).
For
> > instance, to install the DBI module, type "install DBI".  Eerily, it
> > installs the module with no intervention.  If you don't know if a module
is
> > available you can look for it (e.g. "search DBD") and it will give
related
> > modules.

> If you're using PPM, then they're not CPAN modules...unless there was
> some incredible development at ActiveState.

> > I've tried doing the module installation on WinMe/ActivePerl using
> > Makefile.pl and make, but it never seems to work out.  However, on my
nice
> > Linux machine at home, it works like breeze.  Doesn't that surprise you?

> Not a bit.  Linux' advantage over Win32 is that it actually has a decent
> GPL C compiler that WORKS.  To compile any binaries for Perl on Win32,
> you need (AFAIK) MSVC, whereas *nix only needs gcc.  This is probably the
> main reason make won't work on your Win32 machine: there is no gcc.  The
> only modules that will install via make on Win32 in my experience are
> those that don't require any extensions to be compiled.  This includes
> GD.pm.  Pure Perl modules such as CGI.pm or ASP.pm (distinguishable in
> CPAN's module list) don't have to be compiled, just inserted into
> perl's module tree.

> --

> Legend -- a lie that has attained the dignity of age.
> -- H. L. Mencken

Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:16:46 GMT
 Perl 5.6 Activestate crashes in Windows 98
I also encountered that problem before with ActivePerl and found out that I
had to change the CPAN\CONFIG.pm file specifically to specify absolute paths
to these parameters:

build_dir, cpan_home and keep_source_where (i.e. C:\Windows\temp\build,
c:\windows\temp and c:\windows\temp\sources respectively).

--
====================
Philip Yuson

===========

Quote:
> Finally, I did manage to install the modules using ppm. It is a pity than
> CPAN doesn't work in Windows. The wierd part is that the files are
> downloaded from CPAN and un-tar-balled. Perl fails when it tries to do a
> "perl Makefile.pl". This happens on any bundle that I try to install. (it
> freezes and causes a BSOD)

> So in theory, the error isn't in CPAN; it is in ActiveState's Perl
> implementation.

> To Tim's observation; there is a gcc port to Win32. However I don't think
> that Activestate uses that to compile Perl.

> Thanks

> gives a
> install of

> > > I've only ever gotten CPAN modules to work with ActiveState by using
> ppm.
> > > Go to the command line and type ppm.  There's online help (type help).
> For
> > > instance, to install the DBI module, type "install DBI".  Eerily, it
> > > installs the module with no intervention.  If you don't know if a
module
> is
> > > available you can look for it (e.g. "search DBD") and it will give
> related
> > > modules.

> > If you're using PPM, then they're not CPAN modules...unless there was
> > some incredible development at ActiveState.

> > > I've tried doing the module installation on WinMe/ActivePerl using
> > > Makefile.pl and make, but it never seems to work out.  However, on my
> nice
> > > Linux machine at home, it works like breeze.  Doesn't that surprise
you?

> > Not a bit.  Linux' advantage over Win32 is that it actually has a decent
> > GPL C compiler that WORKS.  To compile any binaries for Perl on Win32,
> > you need (AFAIK) MSVC, whereas *nix only needs gcc.  This is probably
the
> > main reason make won't work on your Win32 machine: there is no gcc.  The
> > only modules that will install via make on Win32 in my experience are
> > those that don't require any extensions to be compiled.  This includes
> > GD.pm.  Pure Perl modules such as CGI.pm or ASP.pm (distinguishable in
> > CPAN's module list) don't have to be compiled, just inserted into
> > perl's module tree.

> > --

> > Legend -- a lie that has attained the dignity of age.
> > -- H. L. Mencken

Wed, 18 Jun 2003 01:55:58 GMT
 Perl 5.6 Activestate crashes in Windows 98

 | I also encountered that problem before with ActivePerl and found out
 | that I had to change the CPAN\CONFIG.pm file specifically to specify
 | absolute paths to these parameters:
 |
 | build_dir, cpan_home and keep_source_where (i.e.
 | C:\Windows\temp\build, c:\windows\temp and c:\windows\temp\sources
 | respectively).

similar to unix where as a user (non-root) you have to 'o conf init' and
then set the prefix for make like this:
assuming
    (perl Makefile.PL *)
you need to input something like
    PREFIX=/home1/users/yourname/perl/

although I've seen CPAN get confused, and put things in
/home1/users/yourname/perl/lib/perl5/
/home1/users/yourname/perl/lib/perl5/site_perl
/home1/users/yourname/perl/lib/site_perl
/home1/users/yourname/perl/lib/sun4-solaris/

why doesn't CPAN always obey my PREFIX directive?

for that matter is this something that would still affect
    perl Makefile.PM PREFIX=/whatever/
irrespective of running CPAN? (i.e. if I did it manually)

and what in this case would be the proper PREFIX to ensure that neither
the make nor CPAN get confused and always put it in the right lib ?

ala
    use lib '';

it's a (to put it mildly) pain in the ass to 'clean up' after a make and
put things where I want them.

--
send mail to mactech (at) webdragon (dot) net instead of the above address.
this is to prevent spamming. e-mail reply-to's have been altered

Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:59:25 GMT

1. Activestate Perl 5.6 crashes

2. Perl crashing in Windows 98

3. tk in perl 5.6 98/NT

4. Path problem using activestate per 5.6 on windows 95

5. Installing Perl on Windows 95 or Windows 98

6. ActiveState Perl 5.6. and Language Localization

7. ActiveState Perl 5.6 - Can't exit WHILE loop

8. Install MailTools on ActiveState perl 5.6 !!!

9. NEWBIE: Using Win32::Eventlog under Activestate Perl 5.6 (Win XP)

10. NEWBIE: Using Win32::Eventlog under Activestate Perl 5.6 (Win XP)

11. Mail::Sender bad file descriptor (Apache for Win32 on win2k, ActiveState Perl 5.6, Win2k SMTP server)

12. Net::Daemon on activestate perl 5.6