HELP: how to compile (when necessary) a module downloaded from CPAN
Author Message
 HELP: how to compile (when necessary) a module downloaded from CPAN

I need help on how to compile a CPAN module and put it under the right
place in local machine's (NT) win32 perl installation.  Sorry if this
is a newbie question that's beaten to death or covered somewhere.  Pls
point me to any such FAQ.  Any info is appreciated.  TIA!

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: how to compile (when necessary) a module downloaded from CPAN

Quote:

>I need help on how to compile a CPAN module and put it under
the right
>place in local machine's (NT) win32 perl installation.

[...]

If you got it from CPAN, it should have a file called
Makefile.PL. Run it, like this:
perl Makefile.PL

Now you should have a standard "makefile".
make
make test
make install

Problem is, unless you have compiled the Perl you are using
(that is, you didn't download the binary from Activestate), then
you will have trouble, since you won't have the include files,
etc, you need.

Many modules are pure perl (no C components). With those, you
will have no problem.

For users of the Activestate binary, it's often better to use
the "ppm" utility to download and install precompiled modules
(when available).

glauber

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: how to compile (when necessary) a module downloaded from CPAN
glauber:

this is what i did:

1. go to the dir where the makefile.pl for this module
(unicode-string) is.
2. perl Makefile.PL
results: a file called makefile is generated.
3. make
results: error message: Makefile:731: *** missing separator.  Stop.

My perl flavor is the standard perl for win32 from activestate.  build
522 (5.005).

Any idea why the makefile failed?  Thanks.

eric

On Thu, 18 May 2000 15:10:10 -0700, glauber

Quote:

>>I need help on how to compile a CPAN module and put it under
>the right
>>place in local machine's (NT) win32 perl installation.
>[...]

>If you got it from CPAN, it should have a file called
>Makefile.PL. Run it, like this:
>perl Makefile.PL

>Now you should have a standard "makefile".
>make
>make test
>make install

>Problem is, unless you have compiled the Perl you are using
>(that is, you didn't download the binary from Activestate), then
>you will have trouble, since you won't have the include files,
>etc, you need.

>Many modules are pure perl (no C components). With those, you
>will have no problem.

>For users of the Activestate binary, it's often better to use
>the "ppm" utility to download and install precompiled modules
>(when available).

>glauber

>* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: how to compile (when necessary) a module downloaded from CPAN
glauber,

btw, the 3 unicode modules i am installing are not available from
activestate.  otherwise life would be easier.  ppm is great.

eric

On Thu, 18 May 2000 15:10:10 -0700, glauber

Quote:

>>I need help on how to compile a CPAN module and put it under
>the right
>>place in local machine's (NT) win32 perl installation.
>[...]

>If you got it from CPAN, it should have a file called
>Makefile.PL. Run it, like this:
>perl Makefile.PL

>Now you should have a standard "makefile".
>make
>make test
>make install

>Problem is, unless you have compiled the Perl you are using
>(that is, you didn't download the binary from Activestate), then
>you will have trouble, since you won't have the include files,
>etc, you need.

>Many modules are pure perl (no C components). With those, you
>will have no problem.

>For users of the Activestate binary, it's often better to use
>the "ppm" utility to download and install precompiled modules
>(when available).

>glauber

>* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP: how to compile (when necessary) a module downloaded from CPAN

2. Broken CPAN Module. IO modules no longer compile

3. Installing a module downloaded from CPAN

4. Downloading Modules from CPAN..

5. Downloading ALL CPAN Modules?

6. Is it possible to download pre-compiled perl modules

7. Compiling Modules with CPAN and VC++ on shared drive

8. Compile and install CPAN modules on win32

9. Trouble compiling modules from CPAN

10. How to compile modules on CPAN?

11. Necessary modules?

12. CPAN download stats?