Module needed to proxy network connection
Author Message
 Module needed to proxy network connection

I'm looking for a Perl module (or script) that will allow me to set up a
"proxy server" as follows:

1) the module listens on a high-numbered port (i.e. I don't have root
privileges on the server) for connection requests from a specified host.

2) connections on this port are forwarded to a news server... this
server is running nntpd

3) once the connection is established, all news traffic flows
transparently between the client host and the news server through the
proxy server.

Thanks!
c_b

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 07 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Module needed to proxy network connection
Why does it have to be perl?  Why not just download and compile a TCP proxy
from freshmeat?

Rob

--
The email address should read - rob at cowsnet dot com

Quote:
> I'm looking for a Perl module (or script) that will allow me to set up a
> "proxy server" as follows:

> 1) the module listens on a high-numbered port (i.e. I don't have root
> privileges on the server) for connection requests from a specified host.

> 2) connections on this port are forwarded to a news server... this
> server is running nntpd

> 3) once the connection is established, all news traffic flows
> transparently between the client host and the news server through the
> proxy server.

> Thanks!
> c_b

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Thu, 08 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Module needed to proxy network connection
Easier said than done, Rob. They all require libraries that don't exist
on my target, or su priveleges to install. A Perl module would just be
_so_ much more portable.

I did stumble across a Perl script called tcpforward that Tom
Christiansen wrote some time ago, but it apparently forwards packets so
that they appear to be coming from the original source (which doesn't
help me at all in this case).

Anyone else??

Quote:
> Why does it have to be perl?  Why not just download and compile a TCP
> proxy from freshmeat?

> Rob

> --
> The email address should read - rob at cowsnet dot com

message

> > I'm looking for a Perl module (or script) that will allow me to set
up a
> > "proxy server" as follows:

> > 1) the module listens on a high-numbered port (i.e. I don't have
root
> > privileges on the server) for connection requests from a specified
host.

> > 2) connections on this port are forwarded to a news server... this
> > server is running nntpd

> > 3) once the connection is established, all news traffic flows
> > transparently between the client host and the news server through
the
> > proxy server.

> > Thanks!
> > c_b

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 12 May 2003 15:27:43 GMT
 Module needed to proxy network connection

commodore> I'm looking for a Perl module (or script) that will allow
commodore> me to set up a "proxy server" as follows:

commodore> 1) the module listens on a high-numbered port (i.e. I don't
commodore> have root privileges on the server) for connection requests
commodore> from a specified host.

commodore> 2) connections on this port are forwarded to a news
commodore> server... this server is running nntpd

commodore> 3) once the connection is established, all news traffic
commodore> flows transparently between the client host and the news
commodore> server through the proxy server.

Oddly enough, it was EXACTLY this type of program that was
instrumental in my first-round felony conviction in my ongoing legal
case, detailed at http://www.lightlink.com/fors/.

You should be VERY careful before considering the operation of such
a program.

I believe the source code for this program was the first Perl code to
enter evidence at a criminal trial.  Unfortunately, it was also one of
my ugliest hacks.  Wouldn't you know it?  A bit like always wearing
clean underwear, because you never know when you have to go to the
hospital: always write good code, because you never know when it might
end up in front of a jury. :)

Mon, 12 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Module needed to proxy network connection

Quote:

>Anyone else??

yes,
email me,
I have a program that fits the description of what you need.
remove the cheese from my email address to get my real one.

Cheers,
homeless

passme

Wed, 14 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Module needed to proxy network connection

Quote:
> commodore> I'm looking for a Perl module (or script) that will allow
> commodore> me to set up a "proxy server" as follows:

<< snip >>

Quote:
> Oddly enough, it was EXACTLY this type of program that was
> instrumental in my first-round felony conviction in my ongoing legal
> case, detailed at http://www.*-*-*.com/

> You should be VERY careful before considering the operation of such
> a program.

Yikes! Thanks for the input, Randal. I did read at least some of the
material on the site you referenced. I hope that my application is a
bit more benign than yours.

In my case, one of my ISPs (ISP #1) has begun blocking access to their
news server from IP addresses outside their assigned block... entirely
understandable. Unfortunately for me though, I access the Internet
through a high-speed connection provisioned by my "other ISP" (ISP #2),
and consequently I can no longer access their news server.

Bottom line is I pay ISP #1 a fee every month. Included in this fee is
access to an nntp service, a shell account on one of their servers and
some other ash and trash that I don't use. In recent email
correspondence, I asked ISP #1 if they could add the IP address of my
firewall/NAT box (on the connection provisioned by ISP #2), and
indicated that if they were unwilling or unable to do this I would
install a proxy server on their host to forward my nntp traffic from
ISP #2. They never responded.

I don't see how this could be construed by ISP #1 as illegal; it isn't
even forbidden in their policy statement. Still, there is a guy over
there who is... well, if I called him an {*filter*} it would be generous.
Anyway - your post has got me thinking, so I've decided to write them a
letter explaining what I'm doing, and cc'ing my attorney for good
measure.

Thanks - you've made a difference!

c_b

Quote:
> I believe the source code for this program was the first Perl code to
> enter evidence at a criminal trial.  Unfortunately, it was also one of
> my ugliest hacks.  Wouldn't you know it?  A bit like always wearing
> clean underwear, because you never know when you have to go to the
> hospital: always write good code, because you never know when it might
> end up in front of a jury. :)

Do you suppose they convicted 'cause the code was ugly? :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl Module to control MS Dial Up Networking Connection

2. namespace for network discovery modules [was Re: Network Discovery]

3. Net::SSLeay and proxy connections???

4. Encrypted network connection

5. con - user-friendly network connection utility, Part 01/01

6. Monitor network connection

7. Problem checking network connection integrity with Net::Telnet

8. FTP hangs on broken network connection

9. ANN: Win32::RASE v.1.00 - managing dialup entries and network connections on Win32

10. how to flush network connections

11. DBI::Proxy on Win2K - can't start proxy server with mode=threads

12. NEED HELP WITH A PROXY SOLUTION