ODBC, SQL Server, Stored Procedures
Author Message
 ODBC, SQL Server, Stored Procedures

To anyone who can answer this,

    I'm using Perl on the server side to search and interact with a
database through ODBC in the Win 32 environment.  I've run into a wall
in figuring out how to call the SQL server stored procedures through
ODBC and through Perl.  I have used the WIN32::ODBC moduled to run SQL
queries, but what I need to do involves some complex data manipulations
and would, I believe, be much more effiecient if executed on the queries
and did the manipulation  from the SQL Server throught the use of these
stored procedures.  I know what I want to do is possible, but I'm not
%100 comforatble with ODBC and making additions to the Win32::ODBC
module.

Perplexed,

James Leone

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC, SQL Server, Stored Procedures

Quote:

> To anyone who can answer this,

>     I'm using Perl on the server side to search and interact with a
> database through ODBC in the Win 32 environment.  I've run into a wall
> in figuring out how to call the SQL server stored procedures through
> ODBC and through Perl.  I have used the WIN32::ODBC moduled to run SQL
> queries, but what I need to do involves some complex data manipulations
> and would, I believe, be much more effiecient if executed on the queries
> and did the manipulation  from the SQL Server throught the use of these
> stored procedures.  I know what I want to do is possible, but I'm not
> %100 comforatble with ODBC and making additions to the Win32::ODBC
> module.

I've not used ODBC myself, but when calling stored procs using the Sybase modules
you simply call things exactly like you would for normal SQL. The trick of course
is that stored procs tend to return more than one result set, so DBD::Sybase uses
some tricks to get the data to the user. I don't know how Win32::ODBC handles that
particular issue, unfortunately.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler         -||-  Data Migrations Inc.

Int. Sybase User Group  -||-  http://www.isug.com

Mon, 18 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ODBC, SQL Server, Stored Procedures

2. LONG: Req: Help in retrieving values from SQL Server stored procedure using Win32::ODBC

3. Perl Library to execute stored procedures in MS-SQL Server

4. Perl->odbc->sql server stored proc wierdness

5. SQL 2000 Stored procedure called from PERL not responding

6. Executing DEL and UPDT PL/SQL stored procedures from PERL

7. Using Embedded SQL vs Stored procedures in Perl DBI?DBD for Oracle

8. Executing DEL and UPDT PL/SQL stored procedures from PERL

9. Binding Cursors returned from PL/SQL stored procedure

10. pl/sql stored procedure with Table input

11. pl/sql stored procedure

12. OraPerl and PL/SQL Stored Procedure