Can't locate module when using suid - why?
Author Message
 Can't locate module when using suid - why?

After a couple of weeks of re-re-reading the perl documentation, I finally
managed to run a PERL script as another user id using the suid bit (this is
ultimately for a CGI script I'm working on, but for now I'm running it from
the shell).

I've written a really simple script, test.pl  (see end of post) and a test
module, testmod.pl (ditto) and then used the wrapsuid.pl script which came
with PERL to make a C wrapper: test.pl is renamed as .test.pl, and a C
executable called test.pl is put in its place, which calls .test.pl.

This is running under Linux by the way...

The file permissions are such:

(the directory where my test files live)
drwxr-x---   2 listmast list         1024 Apr  5 14:11 ./

(the files)
-rwxr-x---   1 listmast list          191 Apr  5 13:10 .test.pl*
-rws--x---   1 listmast list         3952 Apr  5 13:59 test.pl*
-rwxr-x---   1 listmast list           62 Apr  5 13:10 testmod.pm*

Now, running as user 'lars', which is also in the list group, I can quite
happily execute the .test.pl script directly. But, although my test script
doesn't do anything which requires suid'ing to another use, that's what I
intend to do eventually...

So, as user 'lars', I chdir into the above directory and try executing test.pl
(ie. the C executable), and get the following error:

Nevertheless, I can run PERL scripts using the above method if they don't
contain modules. At the moment I have worked around it by putting an absolute
pathname, but I would rather not do this.

Can anyone explain why the PERL script doesn't seem to know where to look for
modules when run from the C wrapper?

Here are my test scripts:

test.pl
--------

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

require (testmod);

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

print "Hello there...\n";
&blah::test;

testmod.pm
--------------

package blah;

sub test {

print "This is working!\n";

Quote:
}

1;

If you wish to e-mail me, write to:

(after removing notthisbit that is)

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00 GMT

1. Can't locate module in suid script

2. why on earth can't locate

3. Can't locate URI::URL.pm in @INC using XML::Parser.pm

4. using a perl module located not in the usual place

5. Can't install Net module using ppm - Can't find module

6. B module can't locate object

7. Can't locate loadable object Module?

8. HELP: Can't locate any .pm modules in @INC

9. can't locate loadable object for module?

10. Can't locate loadable object for module...

11. Can't locate loadable object for module Curl::easy

12. Can't locate loadable object for module IO::Tty in