Has SNMP replaced Net:SNMP ?
Author Message
 Has SNMP replaced Net:SNMP ?

I have been away from things for a while and have lost touch with the
SNMP module development.
Has the SNMP Perl module replaced the Net:SNMP module I used to use ?
If so where can I find some good examples beyond the perldoc.
I am having trouble with "$sess->set" currently.

Thanks

John.

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Has SNMP replaced Net:SNMP ?

  jh> I have been away from things for a while and have lost touch with the
  jh> SNMP module development.
  jh> Has the SNMP Perl module replaced the Net:SNMP module I used to use ?
  jh> If so where can I find some good examples beyond the perldoc.
  jh> I am having trouble with "$sess->set" currently.

assuming you are talking about the extension module named simply 'SNMP' which
is based on the well respected UCD-SNMP toolkit...

In the perl world there is no "official" SNMP module - one difference
between the 2 that you mention is that Net::SNMP requires no external C
library as it is all in Perl. OTH the 'SNMP' module does require that
ucd-snmp libsnmp be available and a C compiler is required. For the
small pain of building you will find better performance and more
features.

YMMV

-GSM

  jh> Thanks

  jh> John.

--

Nortel Networks                    voice: (978)288-3990

Billerica, MA  01821                 fax: (978)670-8145

Fri, 27 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Has SNMP replaced Net:SNMP ?

Quote:

>   jh> I have been away from things for a while and have lost touch with the
>   jh> SNMP module development.
>   jh> Has the SNMP Perl module replaced the Net:SNMP module I used to use ?
>   jh> If so where can I find some good examples beyond the perldoc.
>   jh> I am having trouble with "$sess->set" currently.
> assuming you are talking about the extension module named simply 'SNMP' which
> is based on the well respected UCD-SNMP toolkit...
> In the perl world there is no "official" SNMP module - one difference
> between the 2 that you mention is that Net::SNMP requires no external C
> library as it is all in Perl. OTH the 'SNMP' module does require that
> ucd-snmp libsnmp be available and a C compiler is required. For the
> small pain of building you will find better performance and more
> features.

To the original poster:

What problems are you having with $sess->set?  I've just figured out this
method myself.

And a question for you:  Do you know how the $sess->getnext($vb, callback)
works?  I haven't been able to use it properly.

--J

Thu, 09 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Has SNMP replaced Net:SNMP ?

2. Net-SNMP Perl 5 SNMP install problem

3. net::snmp having problem with passing mib

4. Help with SNMP and SNMP traps

5. SNMP:: Session, SNMP::Varbind

6. Modul SNMP::Multi: Accessing SNMP responses

7. SNMP 3.1.0, ucd-snmp-4.1.2, gcc-2.95.2

8. Perl SNMP and UCD SNMP 4.0.1

9. SNMP table walking with SNMP PERL module?

10. SNMP module (SNMP Perl) ?

11. 2nd try: problems with SNMP-3.1.0, SNMP-Util-1.7, ucd-snmp-4.1.1

12. Net::SNMP