WWW::Search::MSIndexServer
Author Message
 WWW::Search::MSIndexServer

Hello all,

This is a two part question.  I am having some problems getting the
MSIndexServer class search working on IIS 5.0.  Am I correct in assuming
that the Indexing Service is not the same as MSIndexServer?  If so is there
a module that will allow me to search using the Indexing Service?  The code
that I am using is embedded in an ASP page and looks like this:

    .
    .
    .
    use WWW::Search;

    my $search = new WWW::Search(MSIndexServer);

    my $search_string = WWW::Search::escape_query($query_string);

    $search->native_query($search_string);
    .
    .
    .

This works for all of the other search engines in WWW::Search, but I just
get no results with MSIndexServer.  BTW the server is running Windows 2000
Server with Active State Perl Build 616.  I have tried using the search_url
property with no luck either.  If the MSIndexServer class is not compatible
with the Indexing Service of IIS 5.0, I was thinking that I could create an
ADO connection and do the search like that.  I have some sample VBScript
code that I would like to convert to perl, but I do not know how to do one
thing.  In the VBScript code the line:

    <!-- METADADA TYPE="typelib" FILE="C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\ado\msado15.dll" -->

appears near the top.  Is there a perl equivalent to this line?  I am also
assuming that perls %INC is the same as the #INCLUDE directive in VBScript.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

P.S.  There is a severe lack of Perlscript in ASP reference material out
there.  Is this completely uncharted territory, or am I an insane fool for
even attempting to do something like this?  I personally think that I am an
insane fool, but I'm also stubborn, and I love perl :)

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 WWW::Search::MSIndexServer

Sorry that the documentation of MSIndexServer is so bad.  I think
there's just not much demand/users of the module!?!

Quote:
>     my $search = new WWW::Search(MSIndexServer);

You have to give it the URL for your IDQ page.  Insert '%s' where you
want the query string to be and '%n' where WWW::Search can insert the
hits-per-page count.  For example

my $search = new WWW::Search(MSIndexServer,
                        {search_url => 'http://www.fao.org/scripts/samples/search/queryhit.idq?CiRestriction=...,},);

Also, let me warn you that I have never used MSIndexServer nor
WWW::Search::MSIndexServer.pm, but I sure know WWW::Search intimately
;-)

--

     Research Software Engineer           (703) 793-3700 x2651
     The Information Refinery              http://tir.tasc.com

Why I should stick my neck out for you is quite beyond my capacity. -- C-3PO, Star Wars

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. WWW::Search::MSIndexServer

2. WWW::Search::MSIndexServer

3. CGI.pm | WWW::Search WWW::SearchResults

4. ANNOUNCE: WWW::Search 1.009 available (web-search-engine API for Perl)

5. ANNOUNCE: WWW::Search 1.007 available (web-search-engine API for Perl)

6. ANNOUNCE: WWW::Search 1.005 available (web-search-engine API for Perl)

7. ANNOUNCE: WWW::Search, a Perl API for web search engines

8. www::search working with hotbot?

9. WWW::Search 1.018 released

10. WWW::Search Utility

11. www::search 1.012 install problem