Perl: web.pl question, install module and dmake question
Author Message
 Perl: web.pl question, install module and dmake question

Hi all!

I felt in love with Perl and find it as a must in most cases for
portability reasons, instead of programming ASPs. I am learning a lot
from others's free scripts, but here are 3 questions I couldn't find
answers for:

1- web.pl, $getStdin:
---------------------
I have seen several scripts referencing to web.pl:
require 'web.pl'
This file isn't bundled with Gurusamy Sarathy's Perl 5.004_2 port to
Win32 (WinNT), and I am not able to find it anywhere on CPAN. Anyone
knows where I can get it? I suppose it contains CGI calls, stdin and
stdout routines, like $getStdin.

1- libraries, modules:
----------------------
I am not able to install some modules. One is the GD ver. 1.18 interface
to Boutel's gd library, for making GIFs "on the fly".
After "Perl Makefile.PL", which seems ok (makefiles for
libgd and for GD), "dmake.exe" returns errors.
Anyone with a clue?
Here is the dmake output:
***SNIP******************************************************
mkdir blib
mkdir blib\lib
cp GD.pm blib\lib\GD.pm
AutoSplitting GD (blib\lib\auto/GD)
cp qd.pl blib\lib\qd.pl
DEFINE=''; export DEFINE INC; \
        cd libgd && d:\perl\bin\dmake.exe -S  all DEFINE=
The name specified is not recognized as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
dmake.exe: Error code 1, while making 'libgd/libgd.lib'
***SNIP******************************************************

2- dmake.exe question
----------------------
Every time I se install instructions for modules or libraries, to the
"make.exe" program, even for modules geared towards Win32 platforms.
With Gurusamy Sarathy's Perl 5.004_2 port to Win32, supposed to be
standard Perl, there is a dmake.exe which I use instead. But am I
missing something, since there is no reference to that make application
anywhere?

Thanks in advance for your enlightenment!

Frederic

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl: web.pl question, install module and dmake question

Quote:

> 1- web.pl, $getStdin:

  ^ - (should be 0) 8-)
I've never seen that one myself.

Quote:
> 1- libraries, modules:
> ----------------------
> cp GD.pm blib\lib\GD.pm
> AutoSplitting GD (blib\lib\auto/GD)
> cp qd.pl blib\lib\qd.pl
> DEFINE=''; export DEFINE INC; \
>         cd libgd && d:\perl\bin\dmake.exe -S  all DEFINE=
> The name specified is not recognized as an
> internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
> dmake.exe: Error code 1, while making 'libgd/libgd.lib'

There are a number of Unixisms (cp, &&, the way DEFINE is manipulated)
in what you show there so I'm not surprised it breaks under Windows.

Quote:
> 2- dmake.exe question
> ----------------------
> standard Perl, there is a dmake.exe which I use instead. But am I
> missing something, since there is no reference to that make application
> anywhere?

Rename dmake.exe to make.exe if it makes you feel better.  That's what
I did since the only other 'make' on my system is the MS nmake.

--

Ray

+ "All the world is but a play. Be thou the joyful players." +
+ Maya - Incredible String Band                              +

Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl: web.pl question, install module and dmake question

  [ mailed and posted ]

Quote:

>[the same thing he wrote in his post to clpm]

Please learn to cross-post.  I've answered your question in
clpm already.

 - Sarathy.

Fri, 10 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl and Web.pl, Gd Library, dmake question on NT

2. Installing perl modules in win perl question

3. Question on the dmake patch file

4. quick question about installing perl modules

5. yet another module install question - libwww-perl-5.14

6. newbie question about installing a perl module

7. installing perl modules (newbie question)

8. Lame newbie question - Installing a PERL module

9. Question on module "get.pl"

10. pl or not pl, that is the question

11. Perl 5.003 Install Question: Install without compiler?

12. Newbie questions about how to install modules (libwww)