Installing LIBNET 1.08 module via CPAN
Author Message
 Installing LIBNET 1.08 module via CPAN

Hi,

I'm trying to use CPAN to install libnet per Slashdot's installation
instructions.  CPAN is telling me that it is looking for
libnet-1.08.tar.gz;  I can find a README file about 1.08, but nothing
else, anywhere.  How can I either lay my hands on this or change what
CPAN is looking for on my system to a file that actually exists...like
1.07 and get rid of this issue.

Thanks for the help,
Shawn

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 04:32:16 GMT
 Installing LIBNET 1.08 module via CPAN

Quote:

> Hi,

> I'm trying to use CPAN to install libnet per Slashdot's installation
> instructions.  CPAN is telling me that it is looking for
> libnet-1.08.tar.gz;  I can find a README file about 1.08, but nothing
> else, anywhere.  How can I either lay my hands on this or change what
> CPAN is looking for on my system to a file that actually exists...like
> 1.07 and get rid of this issue.

Hm... Go to http://search.cpan.org/ and type "libnet" as a distribution
search. Maybe you were looking for a module instead of a bundle?

David

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:23:18 GMT
 Installing LIBNET 1.08 module via CPAN

Quote:
> I'm trying to use CPAN to install libnet per Slashdot's installation
> instructions.  CPAN is telling me that it is looking for
> libnet-1.08.tar.gz;  I can find a README file about 1.08, but nothing
> else, anywhere.  How can I either lay my hands on this or change what
> CPAN is looking for on my system to a file that actually exists...like
> 1.07 and get rid of this issue.

I believe that libnet-1.08 was uploaded prematurely, and has since
been deleted from CPAN.

best regards,
randy kobes

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:23:16 GMT
 Installing LIBNET 1.08 module via CPAN

Quote:

> > I'm trying to use CPAN to install libnet per Slashdot's installation
> > instructions.  CPAN is telling me that it is looking for
> > libnet-1.08.tar.gz;  I can find a README file about 1.08, but nothing
> > else, anywhere.  How can I either lay my hands on this or change what
> > CPAN is looking for on my system to a file that actually exists...like
> > 1.07 and get rid of this issue.

> I believe that libnet-1.08 was uploaded prematurely, and has since
> been deleted from CPAN.

> best regards,
> randy kobes

This doesn't help, since CPAN (the module) is looking for libnet-1.08;
why is it doing that and how can it be fixed?  Thanks!

--Roger

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:00:20 GMT
 Installing LIBNET 1.08 module via CPAN

Quote:

> > > I'm trying to use CPAN to install libnet per Slashdot's installation
> > > instructions.  CPAN is telling me that it is looking for
> > > libnet-1.08.tar.gz;  I can find a README file about 1.08, but nothing
> > > else, anywhere.  How can I either lay my hands on this or change what
> > > CPAN is looking for on my system to a file that actually exists...like
> > > 1.07 and get rid of this issue.

> > I believe that libnet-1.08 was uploaded prematurely, and has since
> > been deleted from CPAN.

> > best regards,
> > randy kobes

> This doesn't help, since CPAN (the module) is looking for libnet-1.08;
> why is it doing that and how can it be fixed?  Thanks!

> --Roger

I'm having the same problem. I had hoped to finish a project tonight,
but it requires Net::FTP so I'm fighting the libnet-1.08 issue
instead.  I can tell you two things I tried but that didn't help at
all.  1) Renaming all libnet-1.08 to libnet-1.06 in the Metadata file.
 I thought it'd consider it an older version and install the more
recent 1.0704.  No luck, it just tried to download 1.06.  2) Replace
all libnet-1.08 with libnet-1.0704.  Again nope... CPAN complains that
Metadata is corrupt and downloads a new one.

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:34:37 GMT
 Installing LIBNET 1.08 module via CPAN

Quote:
> > I believe that libnet-1.08 was uploaded prematurely, and has since
> > been deleted from CPAN.
> This doesn't help, since CPAN (the module) is looking for libnet-1.08;
> why is it doing that and how can it be fixed?  Thanks!

The index files CPAN.pm uses to associate modules with
distributions now thinks there's a libnet-1.08, which isn't
on CPAN anymore. I guess one has to wait until these index
files get updated accordingly, or else use CPAN.pm to install,
eg, Net::FTP::E, which is still associated with libnet-1.0704.

best regards,
randy kobes

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:29:28 GMT
 Installing LIBNET 1.08 module via CPAN

Quote:

>>I'm trying to use CPAN to install libnet per Slashdot's installation
>>instructions.  CPAN is telling me that it is looking for
>>libnet-1.08.tar.gz;  I can find a README file about 1.08, but nothing
>>else, anywhere.  How can I either lay my hands on this or change what
>>CPAN is looking for on my system to a file that actually exists...like
>>1.07 and get rid of this issue.

> I believe that libnet-1.08 was uploaded prematurely, and has since
> been deleted from CPAN.

Ah... Okay. In that case, I'm guessing that the CPAN module has an out

of date dependency on the "newest" libnet, which no longer exists. (i.e.

I doubt CPAN.pm requires 1.08)

Does

CPAN.pm eventually do the right thing in the case of a deleted file?

In any case, I would *manually* download and install libnet 1.0704, then
download and install the new CPAN module. I'm betting that the new CPAN
module won't complain about 1.0704 (although I haven't checked the
dependencies.)

David

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 04:55:33 GMT

1. problems installing XML::Parser 2.31 on win2k via CPAN

2. installing via CPAN in user-writeable directory?

3. Problems Installing Tk on Linux via CPAN

4. Q : Problem installing module libnet-1.0505 !

5. Problem installing libnet module <unix>

6. Error installing Libnet module

7. installing libnet module

8. Error installing Libnet module

9. libnet module install

10. Install libnet module

11. module install problems with cpan module and gcc?

12. ANNOUNCE: PostScript::Font 1.08 -- Access to font data