Win32:ODBC and Microsoft's SQL Server 6.5
Author Message
 Win32:ODBC and Microsoft's SQL Server 6.5

F.Y.I.  We just upgraded our MS SQL Server from 6.0 to 6.5, and
Microsoft gave us a sweet little kiss.  Microsoft changed the values
returned from the SP_FKEYS, SP_PKEYS, and SP_COLUMNS calls from
all lowercase to all uppercase.  And, man, does that ever reck
havok on the hash/associative arrays we use in Perl.  When the
returned values are used as KEYS in hash and you try to access
an entry using the key name as returned in 6.0, you get an
undef back.

The scary part is that Microsoft may decide to play with the
case in future releases too.  Bummer.

One work around though (Larry Wall, are you reading this?) would
be to have a flag you can set to tell PERL to ignore case for
keys used in associative arrays.

Anyway, if you are planning on upgrading to MS SQL 6.5 and you use
Win32:ODBC in PERL, you might want to check your code for stored
procedure calls.

Have fun!

-Douger

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. DBI, DBD:ODBC error with MS SQL Server 6.5

2. DBD::ODBC::db prepare failed: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'tblClient'. (SQL-S0002)

3. Perl access of SQL database NT4.0 SQL Server 6.5

4. DBD Drivers for Microsoft SQL 6.5

5. Using IRIX 6.5 Perl 5.00502 to Access MS SQL 6.5

6. Need module to connect to MS SQL Server 6.5

7. Perl 5 on unix to connect to SQL Server 6.5

8. Help Me - Perl & SQL Server 6.5

9. Perl and Sql Server 6.5

10. Can't get a value from microsoft access using win32::ODBC

11. LONG: Req: Help in retrieving values from SQL Server stored procedure using Win32::ODBC

12. Win32::ODBC and transactions with SQL Server