How to set .htaccess valid once cookie found?
Author Message
 How to set .htaccess valid once cookie found?

I'm trying to upgrade my current .htaccess password driven system to
allow people unlimited access once they have accepted a cookie. I
want to avoid the one account/password request per session.

I can detect the cookie but how do I open up access from Perl? I
can see these options, most of which are not possible as far as I
know. That's the trick I'm missing?

Quote:
>> Some unknown .htaccess directive that calls the perl script and

takes back a username/password in reply. I'm in Unix/Apache.

Quote:
>> Perl gets the cookie then 'pushes' a user/password to the browser??

Special cookie that loads REMOTE_USER in the browser? Please? What does
the .htaccess routine send, and why can't Perl just send that?

Quote:
>> Perl sets the environment variable REMOTE_USER and it's companion

variable with the password? I can't find that variable either... and
this is in the browser, pretty hard to get to.

Quote:
>> Perl somehow packs a user/password into an HTML line calling a

protected page? Can you pass parameters to the account/pass box?

Quote:
>> Write a handler to touch all pages: major rewrite and system impact

for 2500 web-page system. But it could be done.

Any clever ideas out there? Thanks.

Keith

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How to set .htaccess valid once cookie found?

Quote:
> I'm trying to upgrade my current .htaccess password driven system to
> allow people unlimited access once they have accepted a cookie. I
> want to avoid the one account/password request per session.

use a stateful database - perhaps a DBM file.  see the documentation
on the various extensions to the vanilla authentication stuff.

--
brian d foy
CGI Meta FAQ <URL:http://www.smithrenaud.com/public/CGI_MetaFAQ.html>

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Finding htaccess files with find

2. CGI::Cookie won't set cookies with no path

3. Using cookie-lib.pl to set cookies

4. apache .htaccess and cookies

5. Best module for finding out if a string is valid date

6. Finding if an E-Mail address is valid??

7. Get directory only once and put it in array with File::Find

8. Finding all regexps matches at once?

9. Setting Cookie Expiration Date with Perl

10. Reading cookies set by Javascript

11. Setting Cookies in Perl

12. Setting cookies to instantly expire