newbie: howto install CPAN module in my home
Author Message
 newbie: howto install CPAN module in my home

Quote:
> I wish to install some CPAN modules in a directory under my home
> (something like ~/usr/lib/CPAN -- i already have an usr directories
> structure in home).

> How can i do this? (not really how to install modules, how to tell perl
> to search for modules in my home, then in standard places)

> (please send the reply by mail if possible)

See
http://www.*-*-*.com/ #7

Visit: http://www.*-*-*.com/ (Perl,CGI,Linux,Web,Java,PC)
Linux receives a 'Product of the Year Award' for Best Technical Support
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 newbie: howto install CPAN module in my home

[posted and emailed]

Quote:

> I wish to install some CPAN modules in a directory under my home
> (something like ~/usr/lib/CPAN -- i already have an usr directories
> structure in home).

> How can i do this? (not really how to install modules, how to tell perl
> to search for modules in my home, then in standard places)
[..]
> Thanks,

Well, to install them to the right place, when making the Makefile, use:
    perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/your/dir/here

as for getting perl to look at it, you need to:
    use lib '/your/dir/here';
in all of your programs that need it.  There might be an easier way to tell perl
by defualt to look there, but I'm assuming that since you can't install into the
default module directory, you probably don't have access to reconfigure perl
either.

Brian Mathis

--
$_="
,.,,,.,,.,,.,,,,..,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,,..,..,,.,,,,,,,,,

~'^``'``~```~"'~^'``~```````~^`~```^~"'``'`~```^`~"~"'`~^~^'~^^`~'`~```^~`~

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 newbie: howto install CPAN module in my home

Quote:

> [posted and emailed]

>> I wish to install some CPAN modules in a directory under my home
>> (something like ~/usr/lib/CPAN -- i already have an usr directories
>> structure in home).

>> How can i do this? (not really how to install modules, how to tell perl
>> to search for modules in my home, then in standard places)
> [..]
>> Thanks,

  <snip>

Quote:
> as for getting perl to look at it, you need to:
>     use lib '/your/dir/here';
> in all of your programs that need it.  There might be an easier way to tell perl
> by defualt to look there, but I'm assuming that since you can't install into the
> default module directory, you probably don't have access to reconfigure perl
> either.

The easier way is to set the environment variable PERL5LIB to point at the
correct location, I have (in tcsh)

setenv PERL5LIB  $HOME/lib/perl5

More info available in perlrun documentation:

Quote:
>> perldoc perlrun

if this is not available please tell your sysop to fix it, it means that your
perl installation is broken.

--
                        /Stefan

Life - the ultimate practical joke

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. NEWBIE: CPAN module install location

2. Get/install ReadKey.pm from CPAN -- HowTo?

3. installing modules in my home directory

4. Install modules to home directory

5. How do you install home made perl modules.

6. Install modules in home directory

7. Installing Module in Home Dir

8. install modules in home directory?

9. module install problems with cpan module and gcc?

10. HOWTO? Installing modules without shell access

11. Newbie: Problem using CPAN to install LWP

12. ARCHLIB for CPAN-installed modules