Repost Script Works from Command Prompt but Not via Webserver
Author Message
 Repost Script Works from Command Prompt but Not via Webserver

THIS IS AN EDITED REPOST

When trying to call simple test CGI script, my browser times out with
"Waiting for reply".  My script works from command prompt in any directory.
(IIS W2000 Advanced Server
RC-1.)

I installed Perl, CGI.pm, and PerlCRT.dll and they work well from the
command prompt.

I (think) I followed the directions in IIS Online Help to the letter.  I
created a virtual directory pointing to a subdirectory of wwwroot (cgi-bin)
and gave it and wwwroot (the directory of the virtual server in point) web
and directory execute permissions.  I also mapped .pl to perl.exe; .plx to
perlcrt.dll; and both .cmd and .bat to cmd.exe and designated them as script
engines.  .pl, .plx are properly associated under the operating
system and execute properly when called from the command prompt.

I have NOT mapped .pm and .cgi. Is this necessary and, if so, to what?

The script works fine when run from the command prompt in the cgi-bin
directory and I can see the scripts when I browse to
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/

The perl script is very simple consisting of:

#!H:\usr\bin\Perl\bin
# Script: plaintext.pl
use CGI ':standard';
print header('text/plain'),
"Nothing to it!";

I tried restarting the IIS then rebooted entire computer--both unsuccessful.

I (temporarily) made the IIS anonymous user account part of the
"Administrator Group" to insure full permissions--no luck.

This is the first time I have tried to install/run script files under a
webserver and the error is probably something that should have been
obvious--but I cannot find it.

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. GD.pm problem: script runs fine on command line but not across webserver

2. work on command line and not via browser?

3. My <!--#exec cgi="\scripts\script.pl"-->command will not work

4. LWP and HTTPS script not working via browser/CGI calls

5. URL not working in Eudora via perl script

6. Blat works from command line but not in CGI script

7. Help, shell commands not working from within script

8. To Prompt or not To Prompt

9. Running script from the command prompt

10. Send mail script not working in 2nd server but working in 1st server

11. Send mail script not working in 2nd server but working in 1st server

12. Running shell commands via CGI script