Oraperl vs DBI
Author Message
 Oraperl vs DBI

I'm switching from Oraperl to DBI. Somebody told me Oraperl is based on
Perl4 while DBI on Perl5. But I don't care if something is Perl4 as long
as it works. I also know Oraperl will not be updated, has less features
(although I only use the basic features in there), and is less talked
about in the newsgroups which means less support. I tested my script in
Oraperl and DBI. The DBI version seems to run slightly faster, but not
consistently. Am I missing any reason why I need to switch? Thanks.

Yong Huang

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Oraperl vs DBI
: I'm switching from Oraperl to DBI. Somebody told me Oraperl is based on
: Perl4 while DBI on Perl5. But I don't care if something is Perl4 as long
: as it works. I also know Oraperl will not be updated, has less features
: (although I only use the basic features in there), and is less talked
: about in the newsgroups which means less support. I tested my script in
: Oraperl and DBI. The DBI version seems to run slightly faster, but not
: consistently. Am I missing any reason why I need to switch? Thanks.

        Do you think your code may ever want to use another database?
        -Informix, Sybase, MiniSQL, etc?

        If the answer is yes, use DBI.  If the answer is no, DBD::Oracle's
        Oraperl emulation should be fine for now.

        DBI really is easy to switch to however:

        ora_do ($statement);          $dbh->do ($statement);

        It's nearly a one to one match for most operations.

--

BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help poor performance with Oraperl for perl5 (DBI Oraperl)

2. Help poor performance with Oraperl for perl5 (DBI Oraperl)

3. porting DBI sybperl to DBI oraperl

4. ORAPERL (PERL4/ORA6) vs. ORAPERL (PERL4/ORA7) vs. PERL5/DB_module

5. ORAPERL (PERL4/ORA6) vs. ORAPERL (PERL4/ORA7) vs. PERL5/DB_module

6. Newbie Question: Oraperl vs (if any) dbperl?

7. SybPerl vs. OraPerl

8. Oraperl to DBI migration issue with ora_bind

9. Oraperl, DBI, DBD Confusion

10. Oraperl/DBD/DBI & international characters

11. Comparison of ODBC/Oraperl/DBI desired

12. DBI.pm/oraperl.pm