mod_perl with activestate perl 5.6 on win32?
Author Message
 mod_perl with activestate perl 5.6 on win32?

Hi all,

I am trying to set up the following configuration:

Apache 1.3.x + mod_Perl + ActiveState Perl 5.6 on Win 32

However, I read from www.apache.org that mod_Perl cannot be used with
ActiveState Perl on win 32 (as of April 1999).  Does anybody know if this
problem has been resolved?  Or is it still a problem?  Any light you can
shed on this matter is highly appreicated.

Regards,
Ahn

Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 mod_perl with activestate perl 5.6 on win32?

Quote:
> I am trying to set up the following configuration:

> Apache 1.3.x + mod_Perl + ActiveState Perl 5.6 on Win 32

> However, I read from www.apache.org that mod_Perl cannot be used with
> ActiveState Perl on win 32 (as of April 1999).  Does anybody know if this
> problem has been resolved?  Or is it still a problem?  Any light you can
> shed on this matter is highly appreicated.

Hi,
    It's still a problem .... Although the dropping of the
compile-time PERL_OBJECT flag in ActiveState's
Perl based on 5.6.0 removed one barrier, the flags
used now to get fork emulation cause problems with
mod_perl on Win32. This will probably get resolved
in mod_perl-2.0, based on Apache-2.0.
   In the meantime, at http://perl.apache.org/ there's
links to Win32 mod_perl binaries - the latest one, based
on Perl 5.6.0, was compiled without fork emulation.
This means that the supplied binaries are incompatible
with ActiveState's perl.

best regards,
randy kobes

Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 mod_perl with activestate perl 5.6 on win32?

Quote:
>   In the meantime, at http://perl.apache.org/ there's
>links to Win32 mod_perl binaries - the latest one, based
>on Perl 5.6.0, was compiled without fork emulation.

Compiled by you? (Thanks)
You give brief lists of modules available in Readme's.
Where do I get the full list? I suppose I'd have to look when its installed.

Quote:
>This means that the supplied binaries are incompatible
>with ActiveState's perl.

Which means I have to install extra modules myself. This is something I've
never managed to do properly.
Any suggestions? (inc. where to find a readable FAQ or manual)

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 mod_perl with activestate perl 5.6 on win32?
Quote:
>You give brief lists of modules available in Readme's.
>Where do I get the full list? I suppose I'd have to look when its

installed.

I have gone through my installation list of what's on my linux box.
Mostly seems to be there.
Are you a mind reader?

Quote:
>Which means I have to install extra modules myself. This is something I've
>never managed to do properly.
>Any suggestions? (inc. where to find a readable FAQ or manual)

I may still have to do the above!

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 mod_perl with activestate perl 5.6 on win32?

Quote:
>>   In the meantime, at http://perl.apache.org/ there's
>>links to Win32 mod_perl binaries - the latest one, based
>>on Perl 5.6.0, was compiled without fork emulation.
> Compiled by you? (Thanks)
> You give brief lists of modules available in Readme's.
> Where do I get the full list? I suppose I'd have to look when its installed.

Hi,
    Yes, I did the compiling. I tried to include many of the common
modules that need a C compiler (DBI, DBD::*, Tk, GD, XML::Parser,
Compress::Zlib, DB_File, HTML::Embperl, Win32::*, ...), as well as some
of the ones commonly used for internet and related stuff (libnet,
libwww-perl, some mail/date/time modules). But it would be better to have
a full list of the non-core modules included - I'll make one up and
put it on the site where the binaries are.

Quote:
>>This means that the supplied binaries are incompatible
>>with ActiveState's perl.
> Which means I have to install extra modules myself. This is something I've
> never managed to do properly.
> Any suggestions? (inc. where to find a readable FAQ or manual)

In the binary distribution there's a readme.txt file that has
a discussion about this point. The easiest way is to use the
CPAN.pm module, for which everything that's needed is included
in the binary distribution except for Microsoft's nmake, which you
can get from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/MSLFILES/nmake15.exe.
See the documentation for CPAN.pm (perldoc CPAN) for more info.
If that doesn't work, you can go through the manual procedure as
discussed in an INSTALL file included with most distributions.
perlfaq8 (perldoc perlfaq8) has a discussion about this point.

best regards,
randy kobes

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. NEWBIE: Using Win32::Eventlog under Activestate Perl 5.6 (Win XP)

2. NEWBIE: Using Win32::Eventlog under Activestate Perl 5.6 (Win XP)

3. Mail::Sender bad file descriptor (Apache for Win32 on win2k, ActiveState Perl 5.6, Win2k SMTP server)

4. ptkdb and ActiveState Perl 5.6 Win32

5. ptkdb and ActiveState Perl 5.6 Win32

6. Perl 5.6 and mod_perl 1.22, Apache 1.3.12, Win32?

7. ActiveState Perl 5.6. and Language Localization

8. ActiveState Perl 5.6 - Can't exit WHILE loop

9. Install MailTools on ActiveState perl 5.6 !!!

10. Perl 5.6 Activestate crashes in Windows 98

11. Net::Daemon on activestate perl 5.6

12. ActiveState Perl 5.6 and Roth pm's