newbie needs help making DBI module
Author Message
 newbie needs help making DBI module

Using Perl 5.004_04 on Solaris 7.

I downloaded and unzipped the 1.19 version of the DBI module
from CPAN. I ran the Makefile.PL script and it seemed to be
okay. No errors, just a warning that it could not find "pod2man",
whatever that is.

Next I tried to run "make". It couldn't be found in my path, so I
searched the hard drive for "make" and found it and ran it.
Below is what I got:

# /usr/ccs/bin/make
acc -c   -fast     -DVERSION=\"1.19\"  -DXS_VERSION=\"1.19\" -Kpic -I/usr/pr
onto/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.00404/CORE -DDBI_NO_THREADS Perl.c
sh: acc: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Perl.o'

-----

I have no idea what this means. Can anyone help?

Matt

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 05:31:13 GMT
 newbie needs help making DBI module

Quote:
>Using Perl 5.004_04 on Solaris 7.
>I downloaded and unzipped the 1.19 version of the DBI module
>from CPAN. I ran the Makefile.PL script and it seemed to be
>okay. No errors, just a warning that it could not find "pod2man",
>whatever that is.
>Next I tried to run "make". It couldn't be found in my path, so I
>searched the hard drive for "make" and found it and ran it.
>Below is what I got:
># /usr/ccs/bin/make
>acc -c   -fast     -DVERSION=\"1.19\"  -DXS_VERSION=\"1.19\" -Kpic -I/usr/pr
>onto/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.00404/CORE -DDBI_NO_THREADS Perl.c
>sh: acc: not found
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Perl.o'

Get someone who knows something about UNIX to help you set up the
environment for the account you are loged in while trying to do this. At
least your PATH is screwed up, probably lot's more. Then compile a simple C
program. The after you get that working try again.

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:45:31 GMT
 newbie needs help making DBI module

Quote:

> Get someone who knows something about UNIX to help you set up the
> environment for the account you are loged in while trying to do this. At
> least your PATH is screwed up, probably lot's more. Then compile a simple
> program. The after you get that working try again.

I did this (actually, before I read your post) and it did the trick. Learned
how to set the path in Solaris, which was a big help. After we got the
path to the C compiler into my .cshrc file, the module built just fine!
I know this is asking for an argument, but setting the path is SO
much easier in Windows... :)

Thanks for the response. Now I need help with DBD:Oracle. I think
I'll post that separately...

Matt

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:20:01 GMT
 newbie needs help making DBI module

Okay, here's an update. I got DBI to build (now that the C
compiler is in my path). Now I'm trying to make the Oracle:DBD
module.

Quote:
> Using Perl 5.004_04 on Solaris 7.

When I try to run Makefile.PL, it complains that it cannot find
Data/Dumper.pm in the path. I can see that this file does not
exist on the hard drive. And I don't know what it is. And it is not
mentioned in the readme file. Can anyone help?

Matt

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:23:32 GMT
 newbie needs help making DBI module

Quote:

> Okay, here's an update. I got DBI to build (now that the C
> compiler is in my path). Now I'm trying to make the Oracle:DBD
> module.

> > Using Perl 5.004_04 on Solaris 7.

> When I try to run Makefile.PL, it complains that it cannot find
> Data/Dumper.pm in the path. I can see that this file does not
> exist on the hard drive. And I don't know what it is. And it is not
> mentioned in the readme file. Can anyone help?

Try downloading Data::Dumper from the CPAN:

    <http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/GSAR/Data-Dumper-2.101.tar.gz>

Having that installed should help a lot. :^)

--Brent Dax

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:55:51 GMT
 newbie needs help making DBI module

Quote:

> > When I try to run Makefile.PL, it complains that it cannot find
> > Data/Dumper.pm in the path. I can see that this file does not
> > exist on the hard drive. And I don't know what it is. And it is not
> > mentioned in the readme file. Can anyone help?
> Try downloading Data::Dumper from the CPAN:
>     <http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/GSAR/Data-Dumper-2.101.tar.gz>
> Having that installed should help a lot. :^)

Okay, not to offend the nice people who wrote these modules,
but how are new users supposed to know about requirements
like this? Looking at the description of Data:Dumper, I would
never guess that it was needed to build a DBD module.

Of course, once I followed your advice, it compiled fine. :)

THANKS!

Matt

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:09:28 GMT
 newbie needs help making DBI module

Quote:

>Okay, not to offend the nice people who wrote these modules,
>but how are new users supposed to know about requirements
>like this? Looking at the description of Data:Dumper, I would
>never guess that it was needed to build a DBD module.

If the nice people were also competent people, the requirements should
be listed in both the README file, where you can find them, and in the
Makefile.PL script where the CPAN installer can find them if you use it.

In any case, isn't Data::Dumper standard in recent perls at least?

--
Ilmari Karonen -- http://www.sci.fi/~iltzu/
"Get real!  This is a discussion group, not a helpdesk.  You post something,

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:38:58 GMT
 newbie needs help making DBI module

Quote:

> If the nice people were also competent people, the requirements should
> be listed in both the README file, where you can find them, and in the
> Makefile.PL script where the CPAN installer can find them if you use it.

I didn't even think to look in Makefile.PL.

Quote:
> In any case, isn't Data::Dumper standard in recent perls at least?

I think you are correct. IIRC, it is in 5.005. I am using 5.004. :(

Matt

Mon, 26 Jan 2004 02:45:51 GMT

1. Newbie Help making modules

2. Need help installing Perl DBI module

3. cpan DBI making the module etc

4. Newbie module developer needs help getting started

5. Help needed for using Mail::Box CPAN Module ( perl Newbie )

6. Newbie Needs Module Help

7. Newbie needs help w/ modules...

8. Newbie Needs help with the Win32::Registry module

9. NEWBIE: Problem with making perl modules

10. NEED HELP MAKING COMPLEX PERL PROGRAM

11. Help: Need nifty idea for efficiently linking objects together and making comparisons,,,

12. I need help making Perl 5 manual (.pod->.tex->Postscript)